Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 09:41 PM

50 posts, read 243,154 times

Advertisements

Is Texas Southern a part of any university system or are they an independent institution? As a Lamar U grad I watched my school go downhill, but once they joined the Texas State University System and hired a president that actually cares about the school, they've built new dorms, raised over $50 million towards a $100 million capital campaign, and ended their open admissions policy. Does TSU have any similar plans or will they keep drifting along? These problems won't fix themselves.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:47 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centexguy View Post
Is Texas Southern a part of any university system or are they an independent institution? As a Lamar U grad I watched my school go downhill, but once they joined the Texas State University System and hired a president that actually cares about the school, they've built new dorms, raised over $50 million towards a $100 million capital campaign, and ended their open admissions policy. Does TSU have any similar plans or will they keep drifting along? These problems won't fix themselves.
We just currently bought out some apartments down the street, I believe TSU is losing the Open Admissions policy, We're getting Barnes and Nobles for our bookstore,etc

Old 07-25-2009, 10:53 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
We just currently bought out some apartments down the street, I believe TSU is losing the Open Admissions policy, We're getting Barnes and Nobles for our bookstore,etc
These changes should make a world of difference. I look forward to seeing great things happen for the school.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
These changes should make a world of difference. I look forward to seeing great things happen for the school.
Honestly, when I first started going to TSU; I use to down the school all the time because of the people I met and where I lived. Where I stayed was like the projects. The smell of weed was so damn strong, used condoms laying everywhere, loud music at night, lots of fights and robberies. It didn't scare me,but more annoyed me how for it to be an On-Campus residental apartment, and be like that.

As for some of the professors not showing up to class, that is true; However, sometime some professors will have someone fill in for them. We also use blackboard so most of our worked is posted online, and they usually post online lectures if they don't make it.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:41 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Honestly, when I first started going to TSU; I use to down the school all the time because of the people I met and where I lived. Where I stayed was like the projects. The smell of weed was so damn strong, used condoms laying everywhere, loud music at night, lots of fights and robberies. It didn't scare me,but more annoyed me how for it to be an On-Campus residental apartment, and be like that.

As for some of the professors not showing up to class, that is true; However, sometime some professors will have someone fill in for them. We also use blackboard so most of our worked is posted online, and they usually post online lectures if they don't make it.
Yeah I know what you mean about the weed and the loud music. Believe it or not me and my room mates had the law called on us a couple of times lol. But later in the year as I moved away from certain crowds, stopped going to parties, and TRIED to get serious about my studies I found my self not being able to stand the constant noise and bs going on outside my room at night. It's real different when youre on the other side of it. I've grown up so much since then and can recognize what type of environment is going to be a problem.

And the thing is that most college students are not mature adults, theyre grown kids. And many of them are grown kids who are up to no good, which is why I think that changing the open admission policy will filter out those KIDS who dont deserve to be in college. Allowing TSU to see much brighter days.

Now if only they had the same kind of policy for the administeation.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Yeah I know what you mean about the weed and the loud music. Believe it or not me and my room mates had the law called on us a couple of times lol. But later in the year as I moved away from certain crowds, stopped going to parties, and TRIED to get serious about my studies I found my self not being able to stand the constant noise and bs going on outside my room at night. It's real different when youre on the other side of it. I've grown up so much since then and can recognize what type of environment is going to be a problem.

And the thing is that most college students are not mature adults, theyre grown kids. And many of them are grown kids who are up to no good, which is why I think that changing the open admission policy will filter out those KIDS who dont deserve to be in college. Allowing TSU to see much brighter days.

Now if only they had the same kind of policy for the administeation.
It pisses me off because I paid 700 up front (not financial aid or my parents, but me lol) to get into the apartments, and was paying 150 for the first three months. They try to cheat you out your money over here. I go to the parties and gatherings and stuff, but its like every night over here.

I had to cuss out the apartment assistant becaue he tried to fine our whole section of the apartment because some people left trash all over the place, and that week I was in Waco. My car had lots of dents in it because they was playing football in the parking lot; almost got into a fight because of that.

My mama wants me to transfer, but I actually like TSU; it's just the people who I lived around that annoyed me.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:12 PM

251 posts, read 1,034,452 times
Out here in California a lady I worked with years ago..said PVUM was regarded higher then
TSU..this was years ago though...

Howard, Hampton, Spelman, Morehouse and Fisk are considered the better HBCU's

I guess out of the public ones only NCAT and FAMU...

Sorry to hear about the shootings....

Has crime increased since Katrina like it has been reported?

Old 07-26-2009, 01:43 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,566,837 times
I can co-sign with what a lot of folk are saying about Texas Southern University. During my days at TSU, I would remember going to classes with NO professors; students would just show up, sign their name on a roster and go home. How did we get our grades? We had open-book quizzes and tests, the assignments were super easy and as far as notes go, well....they were e-mailed to us so in the professors' mind, there was no need for us to come to class for lecture. And don't get me started on the fights and jackings. I remember a few TSU students got into it with some 3rd Ward cats a month before I graduated. Some of the students were from the Northside and thought they could come over to the Southside running things but after it was said and done, they knew what it is. I got my undergrad and graduate degree from there and although it has issues, it's my alma mater and I'll rep it. Oh....and TSU students were/are known to get into fights with Prarie View students.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
I can co-sign with what a lot of folk are saying about Texas Southern University. During my days at TSU, I would remember going to classes with NO professors; students would just show up, sign their name on a roster and go home. How did we get our grades? We had open-book quizzes and tests, the assignments were super easy and as far as notes go, well....they were e-mailed to us so in the professors' mind, there was no need for us to come to class for lecture. And don't get me started on the fights and jackings. I remember a few TSU students got into it with some 3rd Ward cats a month before I graduated. Some of the students were from the Northside and thought they could come over to the Southside running things but after it was said and done, they knew what it is. I got my undergrad and graduate degree from there and although it has issues, it's my alma mater and I'll rep it. Oh....and TSU students were/are known to get into fights with Prarie View students.
Yeah, it use to be really bad when my sister and cousins went here. They said once this girl got ganged raped by Qdogs at a house party and everybody just stood around and did nothing. However, it's changed and calmed down because they were on probation and the school has become a lot stricter. They just got off probation.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:00 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,070,126 times
One of my teachers from high school said that Prairie View is considered to be
* Below average for a typical university
* Above average for a typical HCBU
* Among the best of the public HCBUs

This was a few years ago, but I don't see how it could change...

Quote:
Originally Posted by centexguy View Post
TSU is currently independent. I think it should join the Texas State University or University of Texas systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston