Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 02:41 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,656,264 times

Advertisements

I heard they were trying to enforce parking permits for the residential streets behind Washington ave so that they could get all the douchebags out of the neighborhoods. Does anyone know what happened with that?

My mom and family live right behind Washington and it has turned into a madhouse recently. The other night people had parallel parked on her street and she couldn't even back up out of her driveway. I think she has gotten a few of them towed and a few of them tickets.

If cops don't start doing something then all of these people are going to end up with mysteriously ruined paintjobs and slashed tires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 03:16 PM

160 posts, read 715,093 times
Everyone will be thoroughly frightened by the momma's boy sneaking around keying cars... The tow trucks will be all over it soon enough; raking in the dough.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:20 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,488,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
If cops don't start doing something then all of these people are going to end up with mysteriously ruined paintjobs and slashed tires.
Yeah, that's a brilliant way to solve the problem. You slash their tires and then they never want to leave. They'll set up the grown-up frat boy equivalent to a hobo camp in your front yard until the tow truck arrives, and it's not exactly as if drunk people are reknowned for using their "inside voices." If that's what you want to deal with at two in the morning, well... ok.

But, here's a better idea: Start lobbying for a Washington Avenue rail line that runs past 2 am. If people aren't forced to drink and drive, they won't. Otherwise, wait out the real estate decline and sell when the market rebounds. Urban living ain't always pretty. It sounds like you might be better suited for the 'burbs.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:24 PM

298 posts, read 954,469 times
City Council unanimously approved a parking permit plan for Union, Decatur, Kane, and the cross streets of Silver, White, Henderson, and Hemphill. This was very recent and will take ~60 days to go in to effect (signs and permits in place).

Old 07-23-2009, 09:42 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,656,264 times
They can stay outside of the house all the way. Doesn't matter how late. Luckily the house is large enough so that you can't hear anything from the front.

sevfiv...unfortunately the street that my family lives on isn't listed there, although it is in VERY close proximity to the biggest concentration of these bars.

I don't really care if people are afraid of what I'm doing or not so long as people learn to stop parking on our street and blocking our driveways.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:16 PM

492 posts, read 1,149,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
I heard they were trying to enforce parking permits for the residential streets behind Washington ave so that they could get all the douchebags out of the neighborhoods.
Houston is in dire need of a district where locals and visitors can enjoy. Here is a recap of what Orlando Sanchez wrote in the chronicle.

Quote:
"Most major cities have districts where locals and visitors enjoy food and music. A few examples are Miami's South Beach, New Orleans' French Quarter, Austin's Sixth Street, Denver's The LoDo, San Antonio's River Walk and so on. Unfortunately, Houston has a history of being antagonistic towards most spontaneously grown districts. Here are a few examples: The Richmond Strip was such a place in the early 1990s, but many of the venues, which routinely held outdoor concerts, were cited under the city's Sound Ordinance and otherwise hassled to the point that most of them went out of business."
Read the entire article
Houston's record on entertainment venues poor | Viewpoints, Outlook | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Old 07-26-2009, 10:25 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,569,183 times
Turn off stuff that does not need to be on like lights tvs or computers

Old 07-26-2009, 10:49 PM

734 posts, read 1,080,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
Houston is in dire need of a district where locals and visitors can enjoy. Here is a recap of what Orlando Sanchez wrote in the chronicle.

Read the entire article
Houston's record on entertainment venues poor | Viewpoints, Outlook | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

That is a very interesting article I also read the comments...

The article is at-least a good persuasive essay on how we should try and save an "entertainment" district within Houston from withering away.

The comments however were from people that would rather have nothing done at all or they are just simply putting down the author.
These comments are very disturbing because the article itself was a pro-active solution to a potentially big problem. Washington Av. seems to be a great entertainment destination(by Houston standards) and yet people would rather see it wither away than try to build it up.

As for the OP problem... I suggest getting cones and putting it up around your driveway... Drivers seem to really stay away reflective orange conical shapes.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:06 AM

492 posts, read 1,149,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
That is a very interesting article I also read the comments...

The article is at-least a good persuasive essay on how we should try and save an "entertainment" district within Houston from withering away.

The comments however were from people that would rather have nothing done at all or they are just simply putting down the author.
These comments are very disturbing because the article itself was a pro-active solution to a potentially big problem. Washington Av. seems to be a great entertainment destination(by Houston standards) and yet people would rather see it wither away than try to build it up.

As for the OP problem... I suggest getting cones and putting it up around your driveway... Drivers seem to really stay away reflective orange conical shapes.
I agree fully with you. It's sad to see all this business and entertainment potential in Houston being wasted and neglected. Hopefully a more proactive and progressive attitude will emerge eventually.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:02 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Like in Chicago, have neighborhood parking stickers. But this also means more taxis and maybe eventually a rail service. The cabbies complain, but there are not enough of them. I think you should be able to get a cab w/in 5 min if your on Washington AVe, Midtown, or Rice U. Usually takes 15-20.

However the noise and parking are part of the price you pay if you want to live in the city near the nightlife. Its kind of a pet peeve when people move in the city to be close to the action, but then complain about the action if they are not using it. Like the local bar thats been there for 20 years, but once condo are built nearby they want the bar to close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston