U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 10:09 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,697,717 times

Advertisements

I posted on this subject several months ago, and I will post again.

All who are thinking of moving to Houston area - Be forewarned. This area has the worse drivers in the world.

Just this week, I really only drove any distance on 3 days (I live near work):

Sunday, Driving up to Conroe on I 45, once again I am in the right lane, traffic slows, and another little girl in her little red car comes flying by me in the breakdown lane - With her cell phone still glued to her ear, screaming into it...In other words, she was rushing somewhere, did not see traffic slow down, and had to drive into the breakdown lane to avoid hitting me...And she was "flying".

Tuesday - I make a right turn onto Woodlands Pkwy - There was a pick-up truck at the next light back, so I went into my turn (which was a separate lane for turning into), and he was flying by me doing about 70 mph (on a 45 mph section). He was flying, cracked windshield and all....

It's just ridiculous here.

I would have no problem with putting speed bumps even on the highways here - I honestly think we need them. And completely ban cell phone usage while driving - What the hell is so important that people have to be on the phone all the while they are driving?

Let's face it - we have the worse drivers in the world here. And they come in all shapes and sizes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 11:26 PM

3,107 posts, read 8,213,608 times
In Houston, I find the tailgating at highway speed to be particularly annoying (especially having two 1 yr olds sitting RF in the back) along with what seems a penchant for sudden & fast lane changes with barely any breathing room to spare.

However, I have deemed as having the "worst drivers in the world" every city that I've lived in since I've been driving - NYC, San Antonio, Buffalo, Santa Barbara, San Diego and now The Woodlands/Houston (add cities I've visited to the mix & DC & Boston stand out as having bad drivers, too). It's like no one ever took driving lessons or learned basic rules of the road etiquette (hello...don't drive under the speed limit in the passing lane...don't tailgate big rigs...turn signals are not optional, etc...).

I don't think Houston has a monopoly on or the most inept, thoughtless & rude drivers in the world - we just have a different brand of bad.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:43 PM

8,226 posts, read 27,119,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
In Houston, I find the tailgating at highway speed to be particularly annoying (especially having two 1 yr olds sitting RF in the back) along with what seems a penchant for sudden & fast lane changes with barely any breathing room to spare.

That style has been our signature for a long while now. Otherwise I also don't think we are any better or worse vs. other gigantic American cities.

It helps to have a capable vehicle, one with a large footprint and with good emergency handling... one that can accelerate quickly to 90 and cruise there all day long.

Match that with a radar detector to watch for speed traps and go with the flow. Lead, follow or get out of the ******* way.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:56 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,914,492 times
What major US city doesn't have a ridiculous amount of bad drivers? I still think the New England drivers (where I lived for a year) were worse.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:36 AM

3,107 posts, read 8,213,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
What major US city doesn't have a ridiculous amount of bad drivers? I still think the New England drivers (where I lived for a year) were worse.
Yeah...what is up with that? I've NEVER been a white knuckle driver, but I thought I was never going to uncurl my hands after driving in the Boston-area during a week-long business trip.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:36 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,866,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post

Agreed on both counts!
Every major city has it's large number of idiot drivers. Each time, I think, these have got to be the worse, until we get to the next city.
I actually don't think Houston is that bad! Not comparatively!

Old 07-25-2009, 07:11 AM

3,064 posts, read 5,598,457 times
Northern California has the worst drivers. People who pass on the right then swerve into traffic and cross multiple lanes and weave in and out where there is no room forcing others to take evasive action just to protect themselves. It always seems to be (immigrant class censored). There's never a cop around to give them an unsafe lane change ticket, but they're always around to give you that ticket when you change lanes normally by signaling and waiting for an open space.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:18 AM

9,274 posts, read 23,397,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
I posted on this subject several months ago, and I will post again.

All who are thinking of moving to Houston area - Be forewarned. This area has the worse drivers in the world.

Just this week, I really only drove any distance on 3 days (I live near work):

Sunday, Driving up to Conroe on I 45, once again I am in the right lane, traffic slows, and another little girl in her little red car comes flying by me in the breakdown lane - With her cell phone still glued to her ear, screaming into it...In other words, she was rushing somewhere, did not see traffic slow down, and had to drive into the breakdown lane to avoid hitting me...And she was "flying".

Tuesday - I make a right turn onto Woodlands Pkwy - There was a pick-up truck at the next light back, so I went into my turn (which was a separate lane for turning into), and he was flying by me doing about 70 mph (on a 45 mph section). He was flying, cracked windshield and all....

It's just ridiculous here.

I would have no problem with putting speed bumps even on the highways here - I honestly think we need them. And completely ban cell phone usage while driving - What the hell is so important that people have to be on the phone all the while they are driving?

Let's face it - we have the worse drivers in the world here. And they come in all shapes and sizes.

Sounds like most of your issues are with Montgomery County drivers. Those people have no clue what a 4-way stop is. I won't even get started on that one.

45 N is crazy because people are so bottled up trying to finish their 90 minute commute, or they can't even get past Conroe to get OUT of the metro, due to all the burbs and construction.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:32 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,551,925 times
Actually, I think Houston and Los Angeles have very GOOD drivers overall. There are idiots everywhere.

How to define "idiot"?

An idiot tries to drive at a speed (regardless of the posted speed) OTHER than what the traffic is doing. There are FAST idiots (like the little girl in the red car on the cell phone) and there are SLOW idiots (where the traffic is doing 70 mph---all 10 lanes---and this fool is driving "safely" at 60, the posted speed, in the center lane. This causes other traffic to try to swerve around them (usually at the last minute).

An idiot uses their Blackberry or ipod while driving on the freeway (guilty).

An idiot fails to identify that their exit is coming up, thus has to make extreme lane changes at the last minute.

An idiot is trying to read the map (or the GPS) while driving on the freeway (pull off the freeway, stop the car, look at the map/GPS, ascertain your route, then get back on the freeway).

An idiot puts on their brakes in the middle of the freeway for no reason.

An idiot gets next to a slow moving vehicle--say a dump truck--on a two-lane portion of the freeway (say, between Houston and San Antonio), is frightened, and won't go on and pass the truck, nor will they back off and let the truck get in front of them. Instead, they just parallel the truck, backing up traffic for miles behind them.

I maintain that there are more idiots who drive SLOWLY than those who drive fast. If your vehicle is elderly and will not go very fast, or if YOU are elderly and don't WANT to go very fast---STAY OFF THE FREEWAY. There are feeder roads, there are other highways, there are other ways to go without getting into the mainlanes of the Katy Freeway and driving 47 mph. This goes for mexicans perched precariously in the back of old landscape maintenance trucks as well as Grandma and Grandpa.

Grandpa: I know you paid your taxes all these years. I know you are a 'Murikan and that your fought in "the war". I understand these things. That does not mean you should park yourself in one of the fast lanes and drive slow. If you can't drive on the freeway, stop doing it. (Frankly, I am very, very good at the freeway, but I can see a day coming when I am going to get off it and take the side roads).

Similarly, hotshot in the jacked-up pick-m-up: dude, the traffic is flowing along at a nice smooth 70 mph. There are approximately 30,000 cars in visual range right now. I realize you are late to work at the plant. I realize this is the third time this week. What you don't seem to get is that all your tailgating, whipping in and out of traffic, driving on the breakdown lane, etc is NOT GETTING YOU THERE ANY FASTER THAN ME.

Dude who knows that the exit for 45 North is coming RIGHT UP---but that's such a long line of cars which has slowed for the exit, and I am "special"---please don't drive all the way to almost the exit, then STOP (in the MAINLANE) and sit there with your blinker on. You missed your exit, sir. Drive on, take the next exit, loop around, and get on the freeway that way.

For the most part, Houston drivers are knowledegable, smart, expert drivers. I have found similar conditions in LA and Atlanta---people who know what they're doing and do it well. Probably have to give that to Dallas, KC, St. Louis as well.

The further north and east you go, the worse it gets. From DC to Boston is awful.

Boston has the worst drivers in the United States, but they can't hold a candle to Rome...

Old 07-25-2009, 08:19 AM

912 posts, read 2,307,232 times
Given the standard of driving I see on a day to day basis here in Houston I find it amazing that any of these people ever had to pass a driving test.

In fact many of them probably didn't which explains a lot. The police need to start enforcing the law, there needs to be compulsory retesting every 5 years and even touching a cellphone while driving should result in an instant ban/confiscation of car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston