Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 09:31 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,398 times

Advertisements

you think Like I do...well on some things...scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Huh? I live in New Territory and the schools zoned to my neighborhood are:

Walker Station Elementary: Exemplary
Sartartia Middle School: Exemplary
Stephen F. Austin High School: Recognized

Anyone with young children probably doesn't need to worry too much about the differences between Clements HS and Austin HS because given the population growth in Fort Bend County, there will almost certainly be more high schools built within 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 09:49 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Default Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by icon7 View Post
you think Like I do...well on some things...scary.
Yep, I've noticed that...don't be scared...

Old 08-06-2008, 12:02 PM

7 posts, read 21,453 times
Default living locations in Sugar Land

Once you go beyond Hy 6 (from Hy59) you are adding a great deal of travel time and congestion on the freeways during rush hour - which is just about
all the time in Houston!
Tel Fair is a huge new development that is WAY overpriced from what I could
tell when I went to look there. I live in Oyster Point and wouldn't consider
moving and absolutely love living in Sugar Land after having lived in Houston for 36 years. Only wish I had moved sooner. Greatwood is nice but even
further than Tel Fair and again, traffic is awful.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:08 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,398 times
Price is relative, initially I too thought Telfair was overpriced, but you do get what you pay for: Location, easy access to 59, 6, & 90. remember everyone thought avalon, sweetwater and New Territory were way overpriced when they were building...now these places seem like bargains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie314 View Post
Once you go beyond Hy 6 (from Hy59) you are adding a great deal of travel time and congestion on the freeways during rush hour - which is just about
all the time in Houston!
Tel Fair is a huge new development that is WAY overpriced from what I could
tell when I went to look there. I live in Oyster Point and wouldn't consider
moving and absolutely love living in Sugar Land after having lived in Houston for 36 years. Only wish I had moved sooner. Greatwood is nice but even
further than Tel Fair and again, traffic is awful.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,766 times
go here http://www.childrenatrisk.org//cmsFiles/Files/2008%20High%20School%20Rankings%20List.pdf (broken link) to see what the high schools rank in the Houston area.

In addition you can go here [url=http://www.fortbend.k12.tx.us/campuses/dhs/activities.cfm?ActivityTitleIndex=10001]Dulles High School[/url] and find out more detailed information on each of the Ft Bend schools and the courses they offer as well as the various clubs available at each school.

(I have been looking at houses in Ft Bend as well and have been doing tons of research on the schools as I have a 14 year old and the hs is important to me as well.)

What is the price range you are looking for in a house? I have about half the subdivisions memorized as far as which school they are zoned to.

Celements, Austin, Elkins, Dulles, Kempner, Bush, Hightower are listed in order of rank.

Clements was ranked #3 and Austin #10 for 2008. (Travis is not yet ranked as it is new, but because it it new it would probably be ranked high...)

The others listed are all Tier 1 (Bush moved up considerably from 2007, from what I understand it has to do with the new principal - it was like 44 and Tier 2 last year).

I would stay away from [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]
THURGOOD MARSHALL HIGH SCHOOL which is ranked 89 - tier 3 and
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]WILLOWRIDGE H S ranked 119 - tier 4

Hope this helped!
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 08-26-2008, 07:02 AM

182 posts, read 768,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie314 View Post
all the time in Houston!
I don't really follow your logic here. I'll concede that getting TO Hy 6 is is a pain (the light at 90A is ridiculous and stupidly designed) but once past it I would not describe it as "congested". And 59 is generally free-flowing past 90A going south until you hit brazos river construction. (a problem for Greatwood and River Park but not Telfair & New Terr, which lie on the eastern side of the Brazos)

Old 09-01-2008, 08:43 AM

169 posts, read 799,122 times
We moved to New Territory from Michigan last year. It has been just fine for us and the kids really like their school.

As far as your decision, it really depends on your budget. Telfair is beautiful, but overpriced and because it is new - you are paying higher taxes and MUD. New Territory backs up to Telfair, and has houses from 160-600+ . Each neighborhood has homes of a similar value, and some of the neighborhoods are gated, if you are into that. The taxes are lower though, and you do get more for your dollar. There are some very nice communities along 359 - but you are getting more out of town. Fulshear has some stunning homes 400K+ , but you are really getting out there. There are also some developments in Richmond, but the schools are not the best IMO.

We chose New Territory after looking everwhere from Katy on over. To give you a comparrison, we almost bought a new house in Richmond but ended up getting the one here in NT (12 yrs old). Our taxes are nearly 3K less in NT than the would have been in Richmond or at one of the new subdivisions. We have an exemplary school, the kids ride their bikes there (3 blocks away), and we are right down the street from one of the 4 community pools. I can get anywhere in Sugar Land very easily.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:21 PM

192 posts, read 504,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfootpr View Post
Hi,

I am currently considering moving to Texas. I just want to know general opinions about the Sugar Land area, and if it is indeed a good place to raise kids, etc.

My wife and I have several concerns regarding this very important choice since it would be the first time we move out of our native state. So any suggestions and feedback are welcomed.

i'm not sure what the debate is all about, but sugar land is an excellent place to raise a family. between the woodlands and sugar land, it's one of my personal top choices in the houston area.

the commute is better than most other freeways. the 59 freeway was expanded a few years back, and during rush hour, my 20 min commute would extend to a 35 min commute into the city, which is not bad comparatively. that being said, the area past highway 6 is still undergoing construction, so traffic is still problematic there. but keep in mind, i used to tolerate a 70 min commute traveling the same distance down 290.

i personally think the schools in ft. bend ISD are great. your kids will get a great education, and i personally grew up & felt envious of the smart kids who went to FBISD (i went to cy-fair ISD back in the day, also a great school district).

the communities there are amazing, and has been rated as such in national publications. you might even bump into t-mac while you're there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston