Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 05:33 AM

480 posts, read 1,698,669 times

Advertisements

Don't know if the OP read Inside Pearland: Inside Pearland wants to hear your HOA horror stories before starting this thread, but as of this morning that blog article has generated 142 comments. If you have the time, browse through them. Some interesting commentary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 05:33 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Side Houston View Post
To prevent people from parking in their OWN driveways seems dumb to me. You're dicating people on how to live in their own homes. Now if the are eye sores, ok. But a blade of grass her or there. Do like the flowers the owner chose. It's get a bit overboard. Which brings us back to the retired housewives making people's lives difficult.
Read my post again. Junk cars and trailers don't belong parked out front. I didn't buy in a nice neighborhood to see my neighbors trash in the front yard. Like I stated...you don't like it, don't live here. No one twists your arm to do so.
In saying that, I won't argue, that I'm more than sure some HOA s can get out of hand. Just doesn't happen to be the case with ours.

You seem hell bent on the "little ole ladies"...Don't forget the little ole men that go with them! In fact, there is one in the neighborhood that is the PIA of the community....not that his complaining does any good.

Last edited by ShelbyGirl1; 07-27-2009 at 05:44 AM..

Old 07-27-2009, 07:48 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,451,130 times
Wow, I hope the HOA at Westheimer Lakes North are not a bunch of communists like the ones described here.
We are supposed to move there soon.
Anyone know?

Old 07-27-2009, 09:27 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
I know not all HOAs are bad, but with some of these I'd just as soon rent and have somebody else fix whatever goes wrong if I'm gonna get bossed around and then forced out of my house if I ever decided to tell them where to stick it.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:16 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,134 times
HOAs are a necessary evil in unicorporated or unzoned areas of the country.

They enforce deed restrictions which are critical in keep your neighborhood a neighborhood and not just a collection of lots with whatever people want on them.

That being said, a lot of them over reach their authority.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:14 AM

15 posts, read 76,274 times
Quote:
Then it is your right as an American to NOT move into a neighborhood that has a HOA.
That is absolutely true in theory, but it rarely works out that way in practice. A prospective buyer almost never has a reasonable choice of similarly situated properties, some with an HOA and some without. HOA's may be Good Thing, Bad Thing, or Necessary Evil. What they are NOT is the free market in action.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:31 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm42 View Post
That is absolutely true in theory, but it rarely works out that way in practice. A prospective buyer almost never has a reasonable choice of similarly situated properties, some with an HOA and some without. HOA's may be Good Thing, Bad Thing, or Necessary Evil. What they are NOT is the free market in action.
You are right. To those who's answer is you have a choice.....well yea you do. My story is like most others in that I had no idea. I was a 2nd time homebuyer at the time and never heard of commie HOAs. They were not common where I came from. In fact I never heard of a commie HOA till I moved west.

There was not forums like this back then where people compared notes and discussed the goods and bads. Your only source of information was a Realtor but they would never bad mouth anything, they want a sale. So for most of us we bought into one without knowing what they were really all about. One learns real fast though as I did. I had my share of run-ins with those pig wanabes and some got violent. I will always fight for what few rights I have left in this country when our rights are deteriorating by the day.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:46 PM

299 posts, read 1,016,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You cant fight them. They are very powerful organizations with more power then the president. If you label yourself as a trouble maker always trying to buck their system then you have no chance in hell of ever getting elected to their KGB like agency. This is why the board members usually never change. They just all change positions on the board.
This is not accurate. The easiest way to fight an HOA is with the argument of unequal enforcement. If they try to fine you and you feel it is unjust, just go through the community and take pictures of other violations. Unless everyone is being fined equally for the same level of enforcement then they can't fine anyone but the worst offenders. And, if you make this argument, the burden of proof is on the HOA to provide documentation provind they have always equally enforced every restriction for every home owner.

Also, HOA's are not communist. Totalitarian, maybe if you stretch the definition, but not communist.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:19 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You are right. To those who's answer is you have a choice.....well yea you do. My story is like most others in that I had no idea. I was a 2nd time homebuyer at the time and never heard of commie HOAs. They were not common where I came from. In fact I never heard of a commie HOA till I moved west.

There was not forums like this back then where people compared notes and discussed the goods and bads. Your only source of information was a Realtor but they would never bad mouth anything, they want a sale. So for most of us we bought into one without knowing what they were really all about. One learns real fast though as I did. I had my share of run-ins with those pig wanabes and some got violent. I will always fight for what few rights I have left in this country when our rights are deteriorating by the day.
Seems like you should have done more research before moving into that neighborhood.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:24 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggiegenes View Post
This is not accurate. The easiest way to fight an HOA is with the argument of unequal enforcement. If they try to fine you and you feel it is unjust, just go through the community and take pictures of other violations. Unless everyone is being fined equally for the same level of enforcement then they can't fine anyone but the worst offenders. And, if you make this argument, the burden of proof is on the HOA to provide documentation provind they have always equally enforced every restriction for every home owner.

Also, HOA's are not communist. Totalitarian, maybe if you stretch the definition, but not communist.

You will rarely ever be able to fight a HOA and win. When you purchase a home in an HOA controlled community, you sign a contract that gives the HOA full rights to force you to do whatever they deem appropriate. Contractual law is typcially very solid, and you will only have luck fighting them successfully when the rules conflict with local, state or federal law.

Yes, you could 'just not purchase a home in an HOA community' but really??? Point me to all these so called choices I have.

HOA's are popular because someone managed to use scare tacticts to make people believe that they had to have an HOA, because *gasp* your property values might drop if someone leaves their trashcan out overnight. I bet people in parts of Arizona, Detroit, California, etc. wish that their property value had dropped because of a trashcan left out, verses the 30% and more value drop they have experienced, and many have lost their homes, as we all know.

Your neighbor's grass is a little tall? Trash can left out? Give me a freakin break, and grow up. Isn't there more important things in life?

The sad thing is American's pay an exorbitant amount of money to HOA's, and once a House is built in an HOA neighborhood, the yearly assesments will never stop, and they will never decrease. You might pay off the house, but you'll never pay off the HOA.

HMM, perhaps I should start a HOA management company...somebody is getting filthy stinking rich off of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston