Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 12:09 PM

661 posts, read 2,896,374 times

Advertisements

Let me explain this and then I'll put my question at the end.

As far as I can figure, there are two kinds crawling around on the outside of the house. The very-adorable green lizards that do that throat thing, when it bulges out and turns orange. These lizards change to brown if they hop onto the mulch.

The others come out at night. They look like a kid's Play-Dough rendition of a lizard and their color is usually pale.

I'm finding a lot of lizards of the #2 variety are getting in the house, usually when I open the back door to let the dogs in or out. This morning one came flying in well after the sun was up.

My question: Can they live in the house or are they crawling off somewhere to die? I can never find them once I stop squealing and start looking for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 12:16 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
LOL...those second things you describe are geckos! They are incredible at catching all those annoying night bugs!
Never have seen one in the house...don't know how resilent they are indoors. (LOL...that Golden of yours ought to be able to "protect"!)

The first are anolies.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:23 PM

228 posts, read 1,000,824 times
Ive never had any of the latter in my house, but OMG! I never noticed till someone who came to my front door one time pointed it out to me...there was at least 5 that I had shut the door on and never noticed! Yuck! With as many stuck on the door frame, I cant believe I have never had one in my house...Im sure I will find one inside today...

Old 07-29-2009, 12:43 PM

874 posts, read 2,893,558 times
I have found a few in my house recently as well. They are pretty small. I surprised one in the hallway the other night and had a tough time convincing it I wasn't going to hurt it - just wanted to put it back outside. I finally trapped it and let it out the front door. The other ones have been too quick and run off, never to be seen again.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:49 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
This sounds like the color changing anole vs. bumpy gecko here. The anoles can bite hard (considering how small they are). As long as they aren't inside the house, neither are a big problem IMO.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
LOL...those second things you describe are geckos! They are incredible at catching all those annoying night bugs!
Never have seen one in the house...don't know how resilent they are indoors. (LOL...that Golden of yours ought to be able to "protect"!)

The first are anolies.
I would have thought the first ones were geckos. They're very cute. Live and learn.

I'm thrilled that they're eating bugs and I don't mind sharing space with them outside. Just wondering if they can survive inside. I think my population's up to four in here and I'd just as soon not come across them in cupboards and whatnot.

Thanks ShelbyGirl. As usual, you've come forward to help a confused newcomer.

PS Had to put my old boy down. But I have a Silkey who's dying to get at one of these things. I have a horror of him eating one, then regurgitating it back up. Think I'd have to sell the place.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy888 View Post
I have found a few in my house recently as well. They are pretty small. I surprised one in the hallway the other night and had a tough time convincing it I wasn't going to hurt it - just wanted to put it back outside. I finally trapped it and let it out the front door. The other ones have been too quick and run off, never to be seen again.
Those are 5 magic words at the end of your post. Thank you.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:57 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
I would have thought the first ones were geckos. They're very cute. Live and learn.

I'm thrilled that they're eating bugs and I don't mind sharing space with them outside. Just wondering if they can survive inside. I think my population's up to four in here and I'd just as soon not come across them in cupboards and whatnot.

Thanks ShelbyGirl. As usual, you've come forward to help a confused newcomer.

PS Had to put my old boy down. But I have a Silkey who's dying to get at one of these things. I have a horror of him eating one, then regurgitating it back up. Think I'd have to sell the place.
Aw...so sorry to hear about your old boy We too had to put down our old girl of 13yrs. Dylan's Mom...man was that tough on us all!

Old 07-29-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotLib View Post
Ive never had any of the latter in my house, but OMG! I never noticed till someone who came to my front door one time pointed it out to me...there was at least 5 that I had shut the door on and never noticed! Yuck! With as many stuck on the door frame, I cant believe I have never had one in my house...Im sure I will find one inside today...
Jeez Louise, the visual on that just put me off lunch.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:10 PM

228 posts, read 1,000,824 times
So sorry! It was not a pretty sight, and I was totally shocked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston