U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:31 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,993,465 times
Did you leave a forwardinmg address? He has 30 days to return the deposit or give an itemized deuction list - but only if you left a forwarding. If you did it correctly and you received nada - take to the JP's court. Judge Yeoman is great and uses common sense. He doesn't like bad tenants - but he also doesn't like bad landlords.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 12:53 PM

245 posts, read 278,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romygirl View Post
Fortunately, I moved out from the bad landlord situation in June and my new landlord is normal and friendly. However, my previous landlord (i.e. the bad landlord) has yet to return my deposit.

Brief history. I lived in a duplex in Montrose for nearly 3 years. The original landlord sold the property to a new owner. The new owner called me the day the sale was final and two days before next month's rent was due to tell me he was raising my rent by $100 (I was on a month to month agreement). The apartment had the original 1930's kitchen and whatever charm it might have had before certainly didn't exist any longer. The bathroom was upgraded somewhat and the entire house had a mold problem. I told the new landlord he would need to justify the rent increase or I would be giving him notice. He told me that he saw no reason to invest thousands of dollars into something he wouldn't see a return on earlier than two years. I sort of thought the same thing for myself except with no improvements I would just be paying more for nothing. I invited him to my house to show him the specific things I thought stood in the way of a rent increase.

However, when he was in my/his house he was so rude and arrogant that I knew writing a check to him each month would give me health problems. I let him know I would be looking for a new place and when I got one, I gave him 30 days notice. He demanded that I give him payment for the calendar month as the lease dictated. I did. (I wish I hadn't!) He sent me an email that said he would have only raised the rent if improvements had been made. This was just one of the lies he told.

I moved out in early June, he had tenants installed less than two weeks after I left. I left nothing behind in the space and cleaned it thoroughly.

Now it is August and I have yet to receive any deposit back nor have I gotten any sort of itemized list of costs spent on my behalf to restore the place to move in condition.

In addition to collecting my deposit, which I am pursuing, I would like very much to make sure that other tenants are made aware of his bad landlord ways but so far have not found any place online that seems appropriate. Is there any place to report the bad behavior of landlords in Texas?
1) Why would you "tell" the new tenants things that they will find out for themselves very quickly?
2) Send your landlord a certifies letter requesting an itemized repair sheet and the return of your deposit. If you don't receive it, then consider filing suit in small claims court.
3) Unless you NEED this money to get by and unless you NEED to inform other people about how crappy your ex-landlord is, then you probably just want to let this go. I see few positives and a number of negatives in delving too deeply into this,unless your credit rating or your personal well-being are at stake.

I don't think that you'll heed this,but hopefully you'll decide to make a rational and logical decision about this matter>

Old 07-07-2011, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,579 times
What do you do and how do you report if you have a lanlord that will not do any repairs, with months of waiting, after living here 2 years and waiting over 5 months for things to be fixed but it never happens?

Old 07-07-2011, 10:56 PM
NTT

649 posts, read 793,724 times
I would also advise you to keep all communications either via email or through writings, as in documents. Do not delete or throw away any of them, you may need them for proof later.

Did you take any picture of the old apartment?

Old 07-08-2011, 08:57 AM

75 posts, read 79,007 times
Better Business Bureau of Houston

http://houston.bbb.org/

State Attorney General's office of Texas

http://www.oag.state.tx.us

Houston Apartment Association

Houston Apartment Association - Home

Texas Apartment Association

Texas Apartment Association

Apartment Ratings

Apartment Ratings :: The leading source of apartment reviews by renters for renters.

Houston Citysearch

Houston, TX City Guide - Reviews and Recommendations by Citysearch

Be sure to retain copies of all written correspondence to/from your former landlord and other agencies. Be sure to send any written correspondence via certified mail. It may help to use delivery confirmation and signature required services as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romygirl View Post
Fortunately, I moved out from the bad landlord situation in June and my new landlord is normal and friendly. However, my previous landlord (i.e. the bad landlord) has yet to return my deposit.

Brief history. I lived in a duplex in Montrose for nearly 3 years. The original landlord sold the property to a new owner. The new owner called me the day the sale was final and two days before next month's rent was due to tell me he was raising my rent by $100 (I was on a month to month agreement). The apartment had the original 1930's kitchen and whatever charm it might have had before certainly didn't exist any longer. The bathroom was upgraded somewhat and the entire house had a mold problem. I told the new landlord he would need to justify the rent increase or I would be giving him notice. He told me that he saw no reason to invest thousands of dollars into something he wouldn't see a return on earlier than two years. I sort of thought the same thing for myself except with no improvements I would just be paying more for nothing. I invited him to my house to show him the specific things I thought stood in the way of a rent increase.

However, when he was in my/his house he was so rude and arrogant that I knew writing a check to him each month would give me health problems. I let him know I would be looking for a new place and when I got one, I gave him 30 days notice. He demanded that I give him payment for the calendar month as the lease dictated. I did. (I wish I hadn't!) He sent me an email that said he would have only raised the rent if improvements had been made. This was just one of the lies he told.

I moved out in early June, he had tenants installed less than two weeks after I left. I left nothing behind in the space and cleaned it thoroughly.

Now it is August and I have yet to receive any deposit back nor have I gotten any sort of itemized list of costs spent on my behalf to restore the place to move in condition.

In addition to collecting my deposit, which I am pursuing, I would like very much to make sure that other tenants are made aware of his bad landlord ways but so far have not found any place online that seems appropriate. Is there any place to report the bad behavior of landlords in Texas?

Old 09-26-2011, 04:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,339 times
I recently moved out of my house I my landlord said he would hold all the stuff I could not grab but I just found out he thru all my babies clothes away along with his bath tub swing and other big expensive toys without telling me now all my sons stuff is in the window of a store and we have nothing what a scum bag DO NOT RENT FROM DAVE AT 4274 VALLEY RD CLEVELAND OHIO 44109

Old 09-26-2011, 09:59 AM

8,129 posts, read 2,162,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julians mommy View Post
I recently moved out of my house I my landlord said he would hold all the stuff I could not grab but I just found out he thru all my babies clothes away along with his bath tub swing and other big expensive toys without telling me now all my sons stuff is in the window of a store and we have nothing what a scum bag DO NOT RENT FROM DAVE AT 4274 VALLEY RD CLEVELAND OHIO 44109
Ok, I know I get confused easily but did I somehow get in the wrong forum? I thought I was reading the Houston forum...

Old 12-09-2011, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,161 times
October 12, 2007
Muskogee Phoenix Newspaper !!!!Country Club Estates Apartments!!!
Stop slum landlords

With nearly 40 percent of the homes in Muskogee rental homes, the city needs a landlord responsibility measure.

When Wren Stratton became mayor nearly two years ago, she asked for a draft of a landlord ordinance. City officials now are discussing that draft, one modeled after Kansas City standards.

Stratton and other officials are correct. Muskogee desparately needs a landlord ordinance for a couple of reasons.

The first is that rental properties are more likely than owner-occupied homes to become unsightly. Renters don’t have the same interest in keeping up property as do owners. On top of that, more than 1,800 rental homes in Muskogee are in the original town site, which means they are old, and many are owned by out-of-town landlords. Those homes frequently become eyesores and lower property values in their neighborhoods.

The second reason for a landlord ordinance is that as landlords fail to maintain their properties, they become dangers to tenants. The community has a responsibility to see that rental properties do not adversely affect the lives of fellow citizens.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 918 times
Default Landlord Problems

I moved into a home from Carnegie Homes at 1238 West Pierce in Houston on 12.16.2011. One of the terms of my lease ($4,000/month) was a leak in the dining room ceiling would be repaired prior to our moving in. Apparenlty, the landlord meant he would "attempt" to repair the leak. Since moving in, over the course of 74 days, the same area has leaked 4 times (including this morning). We found additional leaks this morning. The last time it leaked, Feb. 4th, the landlord began an extensive effort to discover the cause. Having found it (Feb. 6) he put a plastic liner to help stop the leak until he could replace the door and balcony area identified as the cause. For whatever reason, today (Feb. 18) there has been no further work done and, surprise, it's leaking again today. His response is he'll return my earnest money and i can move. I want to make sure whoever comes in behind me knows about he quality of the construction, especially if they intend to purchase. Any thoughts as to the avenues for reporting this landlord?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston