Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 02:20 PM

4 posts, read 68,709 times

Advertisements

Fortunately, I moved out from the bad landlord situation in June and my new landlord is normal and friendly. However, my previous landlord (i.e. the bad landlord) has yet to return my deposit.

Brief history. I lived in a duplex in Montrose for nearly 3 years. The original landlord sold the property to a new owner. The new owner called me the day the sale was final and two days before next month's rent was due to tell me he was raising my rent by $100 (I was on a month to month agreement). The apartment had the original 1930's kitchen and whatever charm it might have had before certainly didn't exist any longer. The bathroom was upgraded somewhat and the entire house had a mold problem. I told the new landlord he would need to justify the rent increase or I would be giving him notice. He told me that he saw no reason to invest thousands of dollars into something he wouldn't see a return on earlier than two years. I sort of thought the same thing for myself except with no improvements I would just be paying more for nothing. I invited him to my house to show him the specific things I thought stood in the way of a rent increase.

However, when he was in my/his house he was so rude and arrogant that I knew writing a check to him each month would give me health problems. I let him know I would be looking for a new place and when I got one, I gave him 30 days notice. He demanded that I give him payment for the calendar month as the lease dictated. I did. (I wish I hadn't!) He sent me an email that said he would have only raised the rent if improvements had been made. This was just one of the lies he told.

I moved out in early June, he had tenants installed less than two weeks after I left. I left nothing behind in the space and cleaned it thoroughly.

Now it is August and I have yet to receive any deposit back nor have I gotten any sort of itemized list of costs spent on my behalf to restore the place to move in condition.

In addition to collecting my deposit, which I am pursuing, I would like very much to make sure that other tenants are made aware of his bad landlord ways but so far have not found any place online that seems appropriate. Is there any place to report the bad behavior of landlords in Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 02:24 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,211,653 times
Nope. Your only recourse is to file against him in JP court for your deposit X3.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:31 PM

well, boo. Thank you for your confirmation of my suspicion before I wasted a lot of time searching for something that doesn't exist. These are one of those times where I don't like living in Texas.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:36 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,551,675 times
This person wants his/her landlord's name dragged through the mud publicly.

There used to be this wonderful little message board where you could do this, you didn't have to sign in and anything went. It got taken down a few days after 9/11. Wonder why. Web 1.0 was the bomb diggity.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:42 PM

Sure, I would love to drag his name through the mud publicly but only to people who might be unlucky enough to engage in a contractual agreement with him. Now I have to rely on karma.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:51 PM

298 posts, read 954,677 times
I think you should name him, especially if you have details and have exercised due diligence (which it seems you have). You wouldn't be dragging his name through the mud - looks like he's the one that has taken care of that.

I would try to publicly post your experiences including the property address and his name, but only after you've maybe tried to contact him again to collect money owed or at least get an explanation of his neglect to your situation (unless you have already and are sure he's ignoring you).

Others are right, though - Texas ain't the best place to rent. The TAG office might be of some help, but probably not:
Texas Attorney General

Old 08-03-2009, 03:06 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,551,675 times
If you didn't cause the mold problem through negligence then according to the AG's page (if I'm understanding it correctly) the landlord should be responsible to fix something that can be a health hazard.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:15 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,824,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romygirl View Post
In addition to collecting my deposit, which I am pursuing, I would like very much to make sure that other tenants are made aware of his bad landlord ways but so far have not found any place online that seems appropriate. Is there any place to report the bad behavior of landlords in Texas?
Well, Google tends to put anything controversial or provocative at the TOP of search engine results. This means that if your landlord is named Mr. Bad Landlord and you create a Web page called MrBadLandlordRippedMeOff.com, if anyone uses Google to research this person, your Web page will come up first or close to the top of the Google results. And many tenants will use Google to research a landlord before signing a lease.

If you just recount the facts on the Web site without using over-the-top language, truth is (usually) a defense against libel or slander lawsuits.

Just one idea!

Old 08-03-2009, 08:06 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,831,345 times
Usually a landlord has to give 30 days notice to change the rental rate too.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 19,238 times
Try contacting your local Citizen's dispute office, they mediate on just about everything. Take him to small claims court if that doesn't work. If he is cited he will not only have to pay you back but he will be responsible for court costs as well. Another avenue may be your local inspector general's office but this usually is through Hud so if you were not recieving some kind of assistance with your rent then this one may be futile, but it never hurts they may be able to tell you something that you do not know. Finally the last avenue that I am aware of is an organization (in ohio it is the Department of Neighborhoods) that goes up against bad landlords. I am in a situation very similar to yours so I hope that some of this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston