Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 08:23 PM

49 posts, read 222,655 times

Advertisements

We have purchased a house in Cinco Ranch in Katy and I need to get utilities set up. We are new to Texas and I am at a loss of who to pick for electric, gas, TV and internet. We obviously want the best price but we also want good customer service. Any advice and opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 08:54 PM

809 posts, read 3,568,565 times
For electricity, check out powertochoose.org. I just generally go with whoever has the lowest price for the contract length that I want. You should pick a fixed rate because the variable rate ones tend to shoot up. I switch companies pretty much everytime my contract is up to get the lowest rate.

Gas - I don't thinik you have a choice. We use Centerpoint.

Internet - we use AT&T DSL and I've been happy.

TV - The main ones are Comcast, AT&T, DirectTv and DishNetwork. We use Comcast and I'm not happy with them. I think we'll be switching to AT&T soon. I believe DishNetwork and DirectTv require long contracts, which I don't like.

Phone - You didn't ask about this one, but I'd recommend AT&T. Just don't go with Comcast - I hear so many horror stories about their phone service.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 10,598 times
For the phone I would recommend the Magic Jack, I have been using it for a year now it works great the only downside of it is that you need to have an internet and computer

Old 08-05-2009, 02:50 PM

298 posts, read 954,469 times
Electricity is deregulated and pretty junky (but I had the best experience with Green Mountain), gas is Centerpoint, and I would check to see if AT&T Uverse is available where you are..

Old 08-05-2009, 03:01 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
Tara Energy, 7.5kwh is what I pay. No one can beat that.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:56 PM

809 posts, read 3,568,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Tara Energy, 7.5kwh is what I pay. No one can beat that.
I don't think they offer this anymore.

To the OP - make sure you read the contract agreement too, some companies charge a monthly fee

Power to Choose

Old 08-05-2009, 05:34 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTx View Post

To the OP - make sure you read the contract agreement too, some companies charge a monthly fee

Power to Choose

That depends on who you know in the company. I've been with them for many years with perfect payment history.

If I refer this to you, then you will qualify.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:50 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,915,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTx View Post

Power to Choose

Also, OP, buyer beware: if you are late on your payment even ONE day, many will void your rate and your rate will increase to the maximum. Also, many require that you pay via internet (okbyme, I pay EVERYTHING by internet, but some people don't like that). Watch your contract renewal date and be ready to switch as the contract ticks down to expiration, as they will auto-renew you at the highest rate (all of them do this). Also, check to see how you can get out of your contract (if the service sucks) and how much it will cost you in fees, etc.

FYI, the "original" power company (kind-of), the "successor" to Houston Lighting and Power, is Reliant---but they've changed hands multiple times, etc.

Good luck. As bad as the old power structure was, I think this is worse. I'd be for re-regulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston