Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 06:53 AM

9 posts, read 21,456 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've left one message on her with no response but I really need some help.

We will be relocating back to the states in Oct. My hb will be there in the end of this month. We'd like to find an area fairly close to where he'll be working but with good schools that also have great after school clubs.

The clubs are important as I feel this will help my daughter make friends w/ like-minded peers. She likes art, like drawing, painting and pottery, photography/filming, book/litarary type clubs, science, computer, history or ecology clubs.

However, the area we were looking at was Montgomery. The school doesn't have any clubs like this. So far the only school I've found w/ a variety of clubs is The Woodlands HS. However, this is a bit farther than we'd like to move from his office.

I'd love any information on nice areas to live around Willis or Conroe. We don't have much time to choose. The company will be putting us in temporaray housing in the area we choose and we need to let them know where we'd like to live. HELP!

Thanks so much for any suggestions.

Smiles, SilverScotland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 07:49 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,916,562 times
You don't mention where your husband's office will be located?

Willis and Conroe are further from Houston than The Woodlands. If your husband's office is in Houston, Willis and Conroe are a harder/longer drive than The Woodlands.

Can't answer your school questions, but will advise that, if you're going to be driving 45 North, you're better off living south and officing north than the other way 'round.

Example: Your husband's office is in Conroe. You're better off living in The Woodlands and driving to Conroe than living in Willis and driving to Conroe. You'll be going against the traffic that way. You want to drive away from Houston in the morning and toward Houston in the evening.

Just my .02.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:06 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,288,426 times
Most of the clubs you mentioned will be found in Houston proper not out in the "country". You may have to drive in on the weekends for classes at the Glassel or Museum of natural Science.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
You don't mention where your husband's office will be located?

Willis and Conroe are further from Houston than The Woodlands. If your husband's office is in Houston, Willis and Conroe are a harder/longer drive than The Woodlands.

Can't answer your school questions, but will advise that, if you're going to be driving 45 North, you're better off living south and officing north than the other way 'round.

Example: Your husband's office is in Conroe. You're better off living in The Woodlands and driving to Conroe than living in Willis and driving to Conroe. You'll be going against the traffic that way. You want to drive away from Houston in the morning and toward Houston in the evening.

Just my .02.

My hb office is in Willis. Do you know anything about Montgomery? It was suggested by my hb work mates to look there. However, I'd like to know more about it and the surrounding areas before making the final decision.

We don't need to have quick access to Houston as my hb will be traveling infrequently. I'd love a quiet, calm area w/ nice family atmosphere. We don't need access to major shopping 24/7. As long as there is a grocery store, library and gym nearby we're happy.

Thanks for the help.

Smiles, SilverScotland

Old 08-09-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
Most of the clubs you mentioned will be found in Houston proper not out in the "country". You may have to drive in on the weekends for classes at the Glassel or Museum of natural Science.

Thanks!

Smiles, SilverScotland

Old 08-09-2009, 01:05 PM

687 posts, read 2,128,457 times
here's some info about Willis http://www.city-data.com/city/Willis-Texas.html, and some info about Montgomery County http://www.city-data.com/county/Mont...County-TX.html

They're both on the outskirts of Houston, and more rural. Don't expect amenities and clubs. Westres1 is correct -- the types of activities you're interested in are in-town amenities. Malvie's suggestion is also very good -- live as close to town as you can, and have your husband drive against traffic to work. The Woodlands, Spring, lots of decent areas south of Willis, from which to choose.

Another thing to consider -- lack of amenities also mean less accessible healthcare facilities. The larger hospitals are all in town. However, if you all are relatively healthy, barring some unforseen medical incident, this is probably not an issue.

Check out www.har.com for potential housing options in the area you want. The web site is very interactive. Good luck!

Old 08-09-2009, 02:37 PM

17 posts, read 444,596 times
Totally agree with the advise you're getting from malvie, westres1 and karuna95. You'll find the activities and amenities inversely proportional to the distance to Houston downtown and Galleria. The farther you go away the less there is the less quality there is; I'm thinking of clubs, sports, private lessons, etc, unless you're into horses. The Spring and Woodlands areas are good for schools and conveniences and kids' activities. It would be my first choice. The area is pretty international - you'll find some Scots there, I'm sure. The worst thing about it is the commute on 45 to Houston. If you can survive out there, and many people do that without coming into Houston, you'll be pleased. Montgomery is pretty and closer to Willis. It's more rural than suburban. Definitely going to have less to offer than Woodlands and Spring. Just to be complete, I'd stay away from moving further west as the amenities won't improve and the traffic gets worse. Stick to the 45 corridor.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuna95 View Post
here's some info about Willis http://www.city-data.com/city/Willis-Texas.html, and some info about Montgomery County http://www.city-data.com/county/Mont...County-TX.html

They're both on the outskirts of Houston, and more rural. Don't expect amenities and clubs. Westres1 is correct -- the types of activities you're interested in are in-town amenities. Malvie's suggestion is also very good -- live as close to town as you can, and have your husband drive against traffic to work. The Woodlands, Spring, lots of decent areas south of Willis, from which to choose.

Another thing to consider -- lack of amenities also mean less accessible healthcare facilities. The larger hospitals are all in town. However, if you all are relatively healthy, barring some unforseen medical incident, this is probably not an issue.

Check out www.har.com for potential housing options in the area you want. The web site is very interactive. Good luck!
Oh, thanks for the links. Perfect! The access to healthcare is very important and has made us rethink our location. With the great advice we've receive from all the posters on here we've decided to look in The Woodlands/Conroe area.

Our child is also quite impressed with the website of one of the HS so we know exactly which postal code we are going to be looking at within The Woodlands/Conroe.

Thanks so much!

Smiles, SilverScotland

Old 08-10-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaneric View Post
Totally agree with the advise you're getting from malvie, westres1 and karuna95. You'll find the activities and amenities inversely proportional to the distance to Houston downtown and Galleria. The farther you go away the less there is the less quality there is; I'm thinking of clubs, sports, private lessons, etc, unless you're into horses. The Spring and Woodlands areas are good for schools and conveniences and kids' activities. It would be my first choice. The area is pretty international - you'll find some Scots there, I'm sure. The worst thing about it is the commute on 45 to Houston. If you can survive out there, and many people do that without coming into Houston, you'll be pleased. Montgomery is pretty and closer to Willis. It's more rural than suburban. Definitely going to have less to offer than Woodlands and Spring. Just to be complete, I'd stay away from moving further west as the amenities won't improve and the traffic gets worse. Stick to the 45 corridor.
Thanks so much for the advice. We have decided to stay within the Woodlands/Spring/Conroe area. It so nice that everyone agrees that's the best place to live for families.

Smiles, SilverScotland

Old 08-10-2009, 06:04 PM

870 posts, read 1,626,757 times
No!!! do not send your kids to conroe isd unless they go to the schools in The Woodlands. The Woodlands is in Conroe ISD. It is the nicer part of the school district. Definitely do not send them to Spring ISD! Stay far away from that place. I have teacher friends that have worked there and they have horror stories about that district. The Woodlands is fine. Personally, I prefer Montgomery....and I live there. My wife works in The Woodlands. We don't like congestion though. Montgomery ISD is excellent.....better than Conroe ISD. Do a search for Walden on Lake Conroe. It is very affordable and super nice. Sorry I didn't find this thread sooner to give you better advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston