Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:46 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Totally different school district.
5/4 4200 sq ft for 250 in Parkway Lakes, many more in
lake Olympia,Sienna,Ashford Lakes and Old Orchard all built this decade under 315,000
One in Woodbridge in a 6/5 4700 sq ft home for 309000! All Ft Bend ISD
The point being these large homes are big and cheap enough for an entire extended family to live in causing the problem the OP is expressing.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:18 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
5/4 4200 sq ft for 250 in Parkway Lakes, many more in
lake Olympia,Sienna,Ashford Lakes and Old Orchard all built this decade under 315,000
One in Woodbridge in a 6/5 4700 sq ft home for 309000! All Ft Bend ISD
The point being these large homes are big and cheap enough for an entire extended family to live in causing the problem the OP is expressing.
Besides Old Orchard, none of those areas are near Telfair, which is the area in question. And besides one for being on a weird lot, I have not seen a 4000 sq foot home in Old Orchard for much under 350k.
Lake Olympia, Sienna, Parkway Lakes are not in Sugar Land.

You can't generalize "the burbs of Houston" to all the same price range. The range is too large. The area in question for the OP was Telfair, which is near central Sugar Land.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:21 PM

232 posts, read 701,051 times
Thanks for all the updates. Interestingly, one of my neighbors that I talked to a few minutes ago said he noticed the same issues, and has sent a note to the HOA service company asking about deed restrictions and definition of single family residence. I'll wait and see what he hears. He said it is something cultural that people from this particular country do. He said there was a story about this on TV last week.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:24 PM

I'll wait and see what my neighbor finds out. I don't think it is accepted, but the builders don't care to mention anything because they want to SELL, SELL, SELL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I *think* (because I've heard this but I haven't actually read the deed restrictions to know for sure) that having so many adults in one home is prohibited in New Territory but allowed in Telfair, but in reality, it happens in both communities. In the cases I've seen, it isn't really "several families" but one big extended family with several generations.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:37 PM

Nothing wrong with the cultural thing. Just move into a city or development that allows it. Even Section 8 standards state that a single family home cannot have more than 2 people per bedroom.
When you work hard and have a home, you do what you can to protect your investment. Or it ends up turning into a slum. 99% of the time this is the case. It is easier to make generalizations when you don't own a home and live in utopia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
I had a friend in High School who had his whole family living in an Avalon home. I think it is partially a cultural thing meaning that the people living in the house see nothing wrong with it. And of course the financial situation is much better when you have such a large home being paid for by several adults.
You do save a lot of money.

But I'm sure thats not going to stop any of you from complaining to the HOA so I would love to see how this complaint will pan out...

Very similar to the GoldShire homes incident indeed;
a few of the same people involved also... interesting.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:52 PM

152 posts, read 537,203 times
I also noticed one house with this issue near my home in Telfair... A house with 7-8 cars. Didn't bother me though.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:29 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Lived in Washington DC for a spell and this sort of thing became very common practice in Arlington, which was a leafy suburb at one time but grew increasingly urban over time. It was mostly Mexican families that would snatch up single family homes in Arlington and then just pave over their front yards to make the whole thing a parking lot since many of the streets had no on-street parking. The main arterials that were once 2 lane with parking were converted to 4 lane without parking so the 7 cars would just be on the front lawn.

This was in the city in neighborhoods with no HOAs so it was really up to the city code enforcement, which didn't do its job.

Needless to say, once you reach that tipping point, there is no going back.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:33 PM

14 posts, read 53,974 times
What get's me is that people don't park their car in the garage. Why don't people just get rid of their junk and put their cars in the garage? Instead, they end up parking on their lawn or clog up the street. There's this one house on a corner lot that always have 2 cars in the drive way and 2 cars parked on the street. One blocks the view of oncoming traffic as you make a right turn! And wouldn't you know it, there's nothing but a treadmill in the garage. How do I know? They always leave their garage door open.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:35 PM

734 posts, read 1,080,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier1774 View Post
Nothing wrong with the cultural thing. Just move into a city or development that allows it. Even Section 8 standards state that a single family home cannot have more than 2 people per bedroom.
When you work hard and have a home, you do what you can to protect your investment. Or it ends up turning into a slum. 99% of the time this is the case. It is easier to make generalizations when you don't own a home and live in utopia.
Well, part of it is also that they want their kids to have a superb education as many Asian minorities do; so they decide the best way to make that happen is to share a single home.

I can understand why someone would want to make sure their neighborhood doesn't become a slum;
But at the end of the day it is still an investment, a risk, is it not?

Haha you think I live in a utopia...

Old 08-11-2009, 10:15 AM

152 posts, read 537,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revive View Post
I also noticed one house with this issue near my home in Telfair... A house with 7-8 cars. Didn't bother me though.
I'm not bothered as long as they don't bring bad attitude, crime, etc...

This house that I mentioned have some nice, relatively new cars... Not luxurious cars, but ones that cost $20-30K. So I assume they're solidly middle class folks, probably of Indian descent. Looks like some fine folks. Haven't noticed any problems. And they maintain their lawn quite well (even better that I do).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston