U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:08 PM

5,345 posts, read 9,105,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Yeah this thread is lost. But yeah why does that happen? hmmm...oh yeah..you are the one that pulled Memorial into this. I was fine just arguing the statement that all white folk put their kids in private down there...

AK123
"People in the higher income brackets often use private, even when the public schools are perfectly fine. Does this not happen in west Memorial as well?"
Memorial was pulled into this when at least two people from west Memorial got involved in a Sugar Land thread trying to tell us why we're wrong about the statistic from Sugar Land that 60% of the city is white.

And it was someone else who first brought up the private school reason, not me.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:37 PM

8,981 posts, read 15,662,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Memorial was pulled into this when at least two people from west Memorial got involved in a Sugar Land thread trying to tell us why we're wrong about the statistic from Sugar Land that 60% of the city is white.

And it was someone else who first brought up the private school reason, not me.

hmmm..people from other parts of town are in here too. hmmmm. No, really we get it. Based on the PMs going around, we realy get it.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:29 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,780,967 times
The reason I posted your high school stats showing that white students are the minority in SL is because someone reported that SL was mostly white folk. That's very misleading to report. People who read these forums have the right to know that Sugar Land is a city where a white child is a minority in school. It's a fact. But it's a great fact! No wonder Sugar Land is such friendly place to live!

This all sort of came about as a response to EEStudent's post about an older white lady making a comment about "all the Indian people" around her in Sam's.

Someone asked about Memorial kids using public schools? Well, we mostly enjoy our exemplorary public schools here. Unfortunately our kids don't get the "life skills" of interacting with many other cultures since our schools are generally 80% white. It doesn't really matter, except that it's fair to give real school demographics on this forum, right?

Old 08-24-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
hmmm..people from other parts of town are in here too.
That's fine! If it just happened once or twice.
But I'm seeing a pattern, and I don't think it's a nice one.

Quote:
hmmmm. No, really we get it. Based on the PMs going around, we realy get it.
You've lost me there...

Old 08-24-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
The reason I posted your high school stats showing that white students are the minority in SL is because someone reported that SL was mostly white folk. That's very misleading to report.
I posted city demographic stats I got straight from C-D. It stated clearly that Sugar Land is 60% white. I didn't make that up. If this is wrong or outdated, feel free to investigate. I don't have time, and don't really care. http://www.city-data.com/city/Sugar-Land-Texas.html

And like you said yourself, FBISD includes a lot more than just Sugar Land. A lot more. So you using FBISD is misleading.

Edit: here's another source. 77479 is the central, most well known and probably largest zip in Sugar Land. Again, it shows 60% white. 24% Asian.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 06:43 AM..

Old 08-24-2009, 08:54 PM

Nope, I used the only four high schools you have in Sugar Land. It says 40% of your students are white. Is that a problem or is it wrong? I'm just posting facts. You're suggesting we just look at one zip code in Sugar Land and use that data for school demographics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I posted city demographic stats I got straight from C-D. It stated clearly that Sugar Land is 60% white. I didn't make that up. If this is wrong or outdated, feel free to investigate. I don't have time, and don't really care. http://www.city-data.com/city/Sugar-Land-Texas.html

And like you said yourself, FBISD includes a lot more than just Sugar Land. A lot more. So you using FBISD is misleading.

Edit: here's another source. 77479 is the central, most well known and probably largest zip in Sugar Land. Again, it shows 60% white. 24% Asian.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 06:43 AM..

Old 08-24-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
Nope, I used the only four high schools you have in Sugar Land. It says 40% of your students are white. Is that a problem or is it wrong? I'm just posting facts. You're suggesting we just look at one zip code in Sugar Land and use that data for school demographics?
What, me actually stick to topic and use the zip code and city in question by OP? He wasn't asking about Missouri City, Fresno, Mission Bend (all part of FBISD).

This is why I say some people need to not try and pretend to be experts about areas they do not live and have never lived in...

The topic was about the city, not the ISD/schools.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:40 PM

I'm not talking about Fresno, Mo City, Mission Bend (all of FBISD). I'm talking about the entire city of Sugar Land. The topic did take a shift to explain that when you look at Sugar Land schools, white kids are a minority.

I'm no Sugar Land expert! Just looking at your demographic reports and using them to defend my comment that I have often felt like a minority as a white person inside of Sugar Land stores. And lots and lots of people make the same observation on this forum.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:40 PM

13,496 posts, read 25,455,792 times
http://bestsmileys.com/signs10/13.gif (broken link)

Moderator cut: Let's just call it a day on this thread, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston