Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2010, 07:33 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,373,824 times

Advertisements

Don't know about Copelands, but Pappadeux is crap. Commercial gruel creole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexPaine View Post
Lombardi4567, I think your post has been unjustly neglected.

I moved to Houston 36 years ago. I love Houston, and I love Texas. I just read a thread about non-Texans hating Texans, on which some Texan-haters posted.

So it was quite refreshing for you to remind us why Houstonians ought to love Houston.

Me, in my years here, I went to college, graduated, and had a fabulous career that took me all over the world. (Re cost of living: I once paid in monthly rent the same amount that one of my Manhattan bosses paid to garage his car.) Then I became disabled and had to quit.

But I can't ever get bored with Houston because Houston changes all around me. I live maybe 6 miles from where I went to college and from downtown, where I worked. Nothing looks like it did a decade or two ago, never mind 36 years.

When I arrived, West U. and University Village were decrepit, after big suburban developments. Building on Westheimer stopped a mile or two beyond the Galleria. Fulshear was a great tiny town to drive WAY out Westheimer to, past cows in their pastures, for the barbecue joint by the side of the road. Now I bet it's the next Houston suburb.

Houston just keeps growing and changing. It's ALIVE in a way I think few cities are. Houston rolls with the punches, gets back on its feet, and says, "What do we need to do today to make Houston better?"

I love this place. Thanks for letting me effuse.

Fulshear is still BFE. Hate to tell ya.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:38 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,685,799 times
What's with all the Austin listings in our HAR?

Old 08-17-2010, 10:42 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,090,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
What's with all the Austin listings in our HAR?
Really? Where?

Old 08-18-2010, 01:12 PM

332 posts, read 530,216 times
New Topic: Fixing Downtown Houston.

As i stated in another Downtown thread before, residences and basics are the first thing that needs to come in to work. Maybe get the Houston Chamber of Commerce to do something like having a meeting between developers, prospecting retail managers, restaurant owners, etc. to hash out a plan. Or maybe make a new group of people like that. It seems developers ignore that there are many many people that want that kind of lifestyle so that end is covered. i'm guessing land prices and construction cost are the thing holding it back.

My idea to start DT going is: 1)getting stores not in the galleria here, getting some regional and new starters with mid level priced stores to open here. Stores already in houston can add another location later on if this works. climate is not bad in downtown since having tall buildings makes the breeze feel cool and blocks the sun while being open enought to let sunlight in on the streets 2) Get basics stores like electronics, furniture and home improvement, groceries, dry cleaning stores. Pleople need these things to live here. 3)Get something going to have more cabs and those eco carts to hang around longer to drive people around. Just an idea. 4) Rental Apartments(Not sale Condos)!!!!!! I think the only apartmenst i know are Humble tower and Houston House. Apartments in between the $750-$1500 range. I know someone can come up with a way to balance property taxes, etc. to have a profit while being fair in rental values. Being pricey in a somewhat dead area is not helpful. 5)MARKETING!!!!!!! Please, some marketing. Start taking proffessional pics of downtown and and real lists of things here. I picked up a pamphlet and all the shopping listed is Macy's. COme on!!. Put pics and info on common websites like Wikipedia. Believe me, many people use that site and others for reference. Pointing out that New Yorks, San Fransisco, Chicago and LA's pages in Wikipedia are WAY more detailed and better picture cuality than ours both in overall houston and info of neighborhoods and districts. 6) Now this is just an idea as well. Some one or some group of people should prospect and meet with companies in expensive cities to start thinking about relocating here. Maybe in the industires of publishing, marketing, tv-film, insurance and finance. Maybe small to mid-range companies first before going for the big guys. Rent is not cheap in LA, Chicago, NYC, and other cities like ours. and they know that. AND 7) Since all these things are coming in to Downtown, maybe, some new skyscrapers, mid height and small buildings might not hurt. and yes, architectually interesting buildings do give more character to a city. I have always found it weird how DT looks from many angles on the west side coming in. looks like they are only 7 buildings. Obviously the layout has the buildings behing one another.

People forget that there is the space here to have all these things. Many empty buildings, many surface lots, many opportunities in the tunnels.

I was thinking as for restaurants, clubs, stores that have the money, to have 2 floors, one in the street and the other in the tunnel obviously accessable on both sides in and out.

So many ideas here. Developers need to start reading posts on this website.

Keep it going!!

Old 08-18-2010, 07:02 PM

I smell trolls....

Old 08-18-2010, 07:15 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,401,995 times
I don't know the use of complaining about entries on an online encyclopedia that anyone can edit, but other than that he makes some good points.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,410 times
Wondering if anyone has heard that the First 48 hours is going to be about the shooting that took place a couple of days ago on Selinsky in SouthPark?

Old 08-19-2010, 08:17 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,772,716 times
when is it airing?

Old 09-08-2010, 10:03 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,320,635 times
Hi guys, just wanted to see how everyone fared from Hermine. Seems San Antonio was kind of cut in half--with the east getting the brunt of the storm. We are in the NW side so it was a lot of rain and wind (and as of last night, terrific lightning) but not really a lot of anything else! Hope you guys didn't get it too bad. I tried to watch TWC but they only showed downtown and nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston