Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 07:45 AM

11 posts, read 92,659 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy a used Jeep Grand Cherokee 2005 or newer and I've come across a few that are well priced at Texas Direct Auto in Missouri City. Does anyone have any experience dealing with them at the dealership? I know they're primarily an eBay dealer but you can set up appointments to see vehicles first hand. How do they handle trade-ins? I have an 05 Accord in good condition 52K miles. Before I show up and start dealing with a
used car salesman I would like a good heads up.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 01:04 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,971 times
I haven't purchased from them, but a good friend bought a Mercedes from them a couple of years ago. I actually have been keeping my eye on their inventory because they do have some good deals. Here is what I know from my friend:

-Each car at Texas Direct has a rep assigned to it, and you will work with that person.
-In theory, you bid on the car on eBay, and see if it reaches their reserve (or simply pay the Buy It Now price, which isn't as much of a good deal).
-You definitely want to go test drive anything you are interested in, BUT they require you to schedule test drives and, at least a couple of years ago, not on the weekends. The cars are behind a fence, so you can't just go wandering around while they are closed.
-As soon as you say you want the car, they take it off eBay and then give you a certain number of days to get your cash or financing in order. One word of caution: it won't be an official eBay sale this way, and the guarantees won't apply. You could just run home and hit the Buy It Now and you would have those guarantees (assuming that is the price you agreed on).

Overall, he said he would do it again, but noted it isn't like a typical dealership (for better or worse). They obviously do a good business, and at times they have some great cars.

Oh, I have no idea how they handle trades. In this market, an 05 Accord should get a pretty good response on its own, so I would try selling it yourself. The only downside is that you end up paying higher sales tax on the new car, but that is usually way overcome by getting a better deal on the car. And don't forget CarMax buys cars, and would give you at least as much as anyone else.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:22 PM

912 posts, read 2,556,655 times
Google rip off report + texas direct auto and make your own mind up.

Personally I wouldn't touch them with a s****y stick.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 9,967 times
This place is full of scam artists! They post fake pictures on the internet of the vehicles and try to hide the damage and issues from their customers! They actually photoshop their pictures to make it look like nothing is wrong with the car then when you get there they just pressure you into buying it anyway. Look at the BBB and ripoff report and complaints board and youll see what im talking about. Or just google texas direct auto scam or texas direct auto complaints and youll get the real story. My best friend works there in the service and tells me how funny they think this stuff is but the truth is they should be sued for this

Old 01-27-2010, 08:31 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,445,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
Google rip off report + texas direct auto and make your own mind up.

Personally I wouldn't touch them with a s****y stick.
google rip off report and just about any used car dealer and I'd bet you'd come up with a similar list of complaints.

edit: don't know anything about the company... just making a comment on the usefulness of internet reviews.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:05 AM

912 posts, read 2,556,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
google rip off report and just about any used car dealer and I'd bet you'd come up with a similar list of complaints.

edit: don't know anything about the company... just making a comment on the usefulness of internet reviews.
Not many of them contain allegations or comments like those on texas direct.

Sure all auto dealers are going to get disgruntled customers but texas direct and it's offshoots seem to be going the extra mile to p*ss off as many people as possible by allegedly retailing cars of very poor quality with very poor aftersales backup.

Caveat Emptor.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:40 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,996,229 times
last year i got my 2004 54kmi BMW X5 4.4l Darkgray/Black in super clean condition(lots of options) for $16.5K at NEXXES (i think), thats a great hassle-free used car shop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston