Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2007, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,612 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move in the next couple months to Friendswood. From New Jersey, born and raised. Are there any transplants here from NJ? Can you tell me the major things that we will face that are different from life as we know it? (other than the Soprano's, of course)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 12:49 AM

26 posts, read 122,309 times
i used to live in NYC and visited northern NJ frequently.
I now live near Friendswood.

you will miss the scenery in NJ. Houston is really flat. You will need to drive a couple of hours west or north to see some real hills.

You won't see snow as often as living in NJ. You will enjoy 70 degree winter.

Get ready for the humidity, and mosquito in the summer.

Friendswood is a nice living residential city... it's public golf course got closed down who knows how long ago. You will be close to I-45, the major highway going north to Houston or south to Galveston island.

A shopping mall on the southern end of Friendswood called Baybrook mall, is fairly big... I haven't noticed Victoria Secret in it.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:43 PM

198 posts, read 923,141 times
I grew up in Friendswood, now live in the Northeast (DC), but visit every couple of months. There are tons of people in DC from New Jersey, so I think I can give you a bit of perspective on some differences. Friendswood is a nice residential community, with a very high number of people from professional backgrounds. There is a strong commitment to the community and schools. I think it is overall a great community for families.

Differences between TX and the Northeast. People are very friendly in TX. More people will just strike up a conversation with you while waiting in line. People tend to acknowledge one another when walking down the street, that sort of thing. The population has increased a lot since I grew up there, but I think it still has a small town feel, especially if you are moving to "old Friendswood" (basically Friendswood ISD). I think a major difference between TX and the Northeast is that many people's families have been in the United States for a long time, so among white people, there just isn't a sense of ethnic ties, and there are very few new European immigrants. Also, there are a lot less Catholics and very few Jews (though probably more than when I was growing up). There are far more protestants. Depending on what New Jersey city you live in, Friendswood (at least the Galveston County part) could be less ethnically diverse. I think Friendswood was 95 - 98% white when I was growing up, and I still get the impression it is pretty white. There were some Asians, and quite a few people of hispanic origin (not recent immigrants, but families who had been in the US for 2 - 3 generations). There were only a handful of black families. Hope that is helpful. Good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: