Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 01:00 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,562,196 times

Advertisements

You can find studs with one of these $7 tools

Craftsman Electronic Stud Finder

If you operate it just right you can find the edges of a stud, draw reference points, and then drill in the middle after figuring out how far up the wall you want it ($2 tape measure). Easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 01:16 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,562,196 times
I usually get cables off eBay. The cheapest ones I've found (and any electronic type parts) are from City of Industry, CA. Last set I bought was a 6' component + optical audio for $12 shipped.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:01 PM

258 posts, read 949,794 times
I was about to post the same exact thing. I found one place which seems reasonably priced, and I believe they are insured.

For example, a tv mounted above the fireplace is 299.99 (with the mount I believe). A mount itself is around 80-100 (according to newegg). The place is Houston Custom Installs: Plasma and LCD TV Installation .

edit: Don't think it includes the mount as they are listed with price on another section of the page

Old 08-19-2009, 02:15 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,431,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynicholson77056 View Post
No....the $450 was for installation and the mount. I think the prices start at $349 and go up from there. All prices include mounts.
Sorry, what I meant to say was $450 total for one mount installation (even with mount included) is too much IMO.
Even $349 is a lot.
I only paid $530 for my 42" LG LCD TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
You can find studs with one of these $7 tools

Craftsman Electronic Stud Finder

If you operate it just right you can find the edges of a stud, draw reference points, and then drill in the middle after figuring out how far up the wall you want it ($2 tape measure). Easy.
You know, I may just end up doing this myself as some of you have suggested.
The prices I'm hearing are a lot more than I thought they would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf05 View Post
and cables/wall plates are cheapest @ monoprice.com
Trust me, I already know all about monoprice.
I get all my cables from there too.
That place rocks.
I just ordered 6 pairs of banana plugs for $.99 each a week ago.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:33 PM

63 posts, read 301,247 times
Default TV Mounts

I'm not a pro handyman by any means but was able to mount a 52" and 46" by myself (and a second person to help lift the tv, of course). The total cost was $60. $30 bucks a pop for the mount from monoprice. I bought an extra power kit ($45 from monoprice) to run the cables through the wall. I didnt think it was too hard for a DIY project to save a few hundred bucks. A few of the things to look out for is:
  • Use the stud-finder to find the general area. Afterwards, I used a small nail to double check to find the center of the studs. It'll make small holes in your wall but the mount/TV is going to cover it up anyways.
  • Make sure to drill pilot holes until your stud. These lag bolts are heavy duty and will split your stud if you just drive them in without pilot holes.
  • If you're planning to run cables in the wall for a cleaner look. Do not run the power cable in there. It's not up to code and your home owner's insurance wont pay if you burn your house down.
  • Use a level to make sure the TV is straight
  • Some people like to mount the TV above the fireplace but I feel it puts too much strain on your neck. I read somewhere that you should mount the tv where the bottom third is eye-level (when you sit down)

Last edited by KatyBound; 08-19-2009 at 03:02 PM..

Old 08-19-2009, 02:59 PM

Interesting note about the power cable and insurance KatyBound. Does any part of your power cable go through the wall, or is the whole thing running outside along the wall?

Old 08-19-2009, 03:11 PM

63 posts, read 301,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaze View Post
Interesting note about the power cable and insurance KatyBound. Does any part of your power cable go through the wall, or is the whole thing running outside along the wall?
The easy way would be to buy a cable raceway and run it outside along the wall. Or hire an electrician to create a new outlet behind the TV. I called a few places and they quoted at $200 per outlet.

I decided to buy this kit:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Using this kit and 5 ft length of romex, couple of blue electrical boxes, I was up and running with a clean behind-the-wall look.

Last edited by KatyBound; 08-19-2009 at 03:31 PM..

Old 08-19-2009, 03:26 PM

Pretty neat. Take some pics if you can

Old 08-19-2009, 04:34 PM

454 posts, read 1,579,595 times
I live in Katy and can help mount your TV if you like. I manage a Dish Network office and have been doing installations of satellite systems, flat panels, etc...for quite some time. If you have the mount and everything already, the price will be very affordable if you simply do not trust yourself to mount the TV. I can also run any coax, RGB, VGA, HDMI, etc...if you would like. I however will not act as an electrician and run romex and would reccommend hiring a professional electrician if you are planning to mount a new outlet behind your TV.

Mounting TV's is not what I do for a living, and I am not trying to sell my services, but I just happen to be able to mount them, and I happen to live in Katy, so it kind of fit the topic.

-Scott

Old 08-19-2009, 09:23 PM

232 posts, read 698,293 times
Man up and do it yourself.
Easy to do it yourself.
I mounted 4 TV already.
I invested in a ~$70 Stud finder/electrical wire locator. Get a buddy or the wife to help. I recommend the buddy.
Drill a pilot hole. drive in the lag screws...easy.

I have mounted the following:
50" LCD
65" LCD
58" LCD
50" Plasma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston