Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:13 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,450,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyBound View Post
I'm not a pro handyman by any means but was able to mount a 52" and 46" by myself (and a second person to help lift the tv, of course). The total cost was $60. $30 bucks a pop for the mount from monoprice. I bought an extra power kit ($45 from monoprice) to run the cables through the wall. I didnt think it was too hard for a DIY project to save a few hundred bucks. A few of the things to look out for is:
  • Use the stud-finder to find the general area. Afterwards, I used a small nail to double check to find the center of the studs. It'll make small holes in your wall but the mount/TV is going to cover it up anyways.
  • Make sure to drill pilot holes until your stud. These lag bolts are heavy duty and will split your stud if you just drive them in without pilot holes.
  • If you're planning to run cables in the wall for a cleaner look. Do not run the power cable in there. It's not up to code and your home owner's insurance wont pay if you burn your house down.
  • Use a level to make sure the TV is straight
  • Some people like to mount the TV above the fireplace but I feel it puts too much strain on your neck. I read somewhere that you should mount the tv where the bottom third is eye-level (when you sit down)
I have no idea what a pilot hole is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 09:17 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
I have no idea what a pilot hole is

It's a small hole you drill first, so you can put a screw or bolt into it. Obviously the pilot hole diameter should be smaller than the screw's diameter.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:03 PM

295 posts, read 1,168,932 times
thanks....

Old 07-04-2011, 12:17 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,084 times
Get a friend or family member that is a good handy person. Is not rocket science. I do everything myself, almost everything. Buy you a stud finder, find the 2/4 and install the LCD mount / assembly with the screws provided. Some measurements will also help to ensure everything fits and the TV looks even
Search on google DIY on this topic. You will be surprised how much help is out there.

man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
Can anyone recommend someone (preferably in the Katy area) to help me with a TV wall mount?
I had a friend of a relative do the last one, but I was not completely happy with the job he did and how much he charged.
I'm not handy, so doing it myself is pretty much out of the question.
PM me if needed.
Thanks

Old 07-04-2011, 01:35 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Get a friend or family member that is a good handy person. Is not rocket science. I do everything myself, almost everything. Buy you a stud finder, find the 2/4 and install the LCD mount / assembly with the screws provided. Some measurements will also help to ensure everything fits and the TV looks even
Search on google DIY on this topic. You will be surprised how much help is out there.

man.
This thread is almost 2 years old...I hope they were successful. I was going to post a YouTube video on how to do it until I noticed the date of the thread. I am surprised I even noticed it... I usually never notice the date of a thread.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:11 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,450,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post

man.
I appreciate the tip, but I started this thread 2 years ago. LOL
Safe to say, I was able to find someone to help do the wall mount.
I hired a local handyman service do all 4 wall mounts in the house for a very good price.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:22 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,580,488 times
The type of mount is very important too. Those with double/scissor arms are the best. I have 4 wall mounted >42" TVs now

Old 07-16-2017, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 467 times
There is a local company that specializes on tv installations

TV Installation Katy
(281) 929-0216

I believe we paid less than $300 for the service including the tv mount

Old 07-17-2017, 09:12 AM

203 posts, read 337,117 times
I only spent about $80 for my mount plus 3 HDMI cables and an optical cable to mount my 70" TV. I only need the help of my friend to pick up the TV.

It's relatively easy to mount.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:21 AM

22 posts, read 22,081 times
I bought this for $50 and did it myself with the included instructions - first time ever doing it and had to run out and buy a stud finder (I couldn't tell using the ole knock trick) so took me about 90 minutes. The mount works great, solid and wide range of mobility from left to right, up and down.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

oh god just realized this was a necro bump ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston