Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 06:41 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,468,265 times

Advertisements

Texas knows brisket...without a doubt. Pork...maybe not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 07:36 AM

344 posts, read 1,186,067 times
I'm originally from the Southeast (Georgia) where the only kind of BBQ they know is pork. Growing up there I ate the stuff, but it was just okay at best. After moving to Texas I have become a huge fan of the way barbecue is done here. I've competed in cookoffs and have my own smoker now and I've become something of a purist.

The two rules are it's got to be beef (it's a state full of cattle ranchers, not pig farmers), and real barbecue doesn't need sauce. That latter point is telling, for me the reliance on sauce is just a crutch to help the taste of meat that can't stand by itself.

And I will undoubtedly rile some people with this, but there are very few decent barbecue places in Houston. I know that's harsh, but after going to some of the best places in Texas I find that too many local places don't even come close. If I had to pick one here it would probably be Burns' in Acres Homes. Or, if you find yourself on the road to Austin or San Antonio, with some time to kill, take a side trip to Lockhart and eat at Kreuz's or Smitty's. After that, you'll probably discover that your standards have been raised significantly.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:10 AM

499 posts, read 2,155,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLizardo View Post
And I will undoubtedly rile some people with this, but there are very few decent barbecue places in Houston. I know that's harsh, but after going to some of the best places in Texas I find that too many local places don't even come close. If I had to pick one here it would probably be Burns' in Acres Homes. Or, if you find yourself on the road to Austin or San Antonio, with some time to kill, take a side trip to Lockhart and eat at Kreuz's or Smitty's. After that, you'll probably discover that your standards have been raised significantly.

Last time we went to San Antonio, I got "geez dad" from everyone in the car because I made trip longer by taking 290 instead of 10, because I was determined to see Bastrop. Don't know why, I have never been there, and I wanted to see it. Driven around it 100 times, but never through it.

Anyhow, I rewarded everyone's patience with me by passing through Lockhart afterwards. They forgave me. Prime rib at Kreuz's, and I cannot eat it anywhere else now.
Lockhart was more than worth the detour

As for Burns, I work about 10 minutes from Burns BBQ. I've put on 10 pounds since I took this job... That should tell you how I feel about the place.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:56 AM

344 posts, read 1,186,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivax View Post
As for Burns, I work about 10 minutes from Burns BBQ. I've put on 10 pounds since I took this job... That should tell you how I feel about the place.
I worked right around the corner on W. Montgomery. People working there learned to be careful about announcing they were going to Burns' to get something. Almost everyone would ask, "Please bring me back a ..." and you could find yourself obligated to bring back ten or twelve plates.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:37 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,888,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Ok, we just back from Beavers and ummm..

MAYBE that was Western Carolina Shredded Pork with a whole lotta Texas in it. Definately not ECBBQ...and calling it Carolina anything is a stretch. The food was good, but the cook has a crazy fascination with Cayenne. It's on everything.

The decor was fun an hip, and it's neat to see how much that area is changing. But 50 bucks for three people, with one appie and everyone was drinking Tea, for BBQ was a little steep. Maybe I like my BBQ a little less "trendy?"
I've live nearby and have eaten there a few times, and its not cheap by any means. But I thought the BBQ wasd considered 'Carolina style' but Im no expert in what that means other than more vinegarish than saucy.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:25 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,486,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivax View Post
Speaking of fried pickles, My son and I were in Tupelo last month and found this little BBQ place called Eli's.
I won't call it exactly Carolina pulled pork, like I'm asking about, but it was really good. The sides were awesome: fried tomatoes and potato salad, and fried pickles with homemade potato chips.

I've been there, but didn't eat there. I wish I had, but I went with a non-practicing Jewish co-worker who decided after we walked in the building that beginning on that day and moving forward, he could only eat kosher food. Pulled pork was no longer on the menu. We settled on a Chinese buffet, which as I'm sure you can imagine wasn't so great in Tupelo, Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston