Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 06:11 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
Now let's get serious for a moment here: IIRC, you build and install custom cabinets. correct? Suffice it to say you have an opinion of your product and an opinion about the product of your competitors (whether true competitors or only marginal competitors). The person that comes to you for cabinets is not likely the same person who would consider a non-custom route. If you think Ikea are junk, then you are welcome to your opinion, but thousands upon thousand of units have been sold, both in the US and all over the world, and they have a rabid following.

Again, everyone on here has an opinion, but the smart ones recognize that opinions based on evidence go farther than ones based on conjecture.
Thousands and thousands of those $7.95 complete 100 piece Chinese socket wrench sets have been sold too. That dont make them good. The fact is the general public just dont know any better. That is why there are Dodge cars on the road and Walmart parking lots are full. Quality and safety does not matter to most people. Price does.

I know IKEA are junk. That is not even my opinion, it's a fact. No I dont build cabinets and IKEA is not a competitor. The only thing IKEA beats is those Chinese brand cabinets which are infested with formaldehyde and sulfur and are causing severe medical issues with those who thought they were getting a bargain but now are suffering with severe asthma or even death. IKEA is not even a member of KCMA which means they are not quality which is why they are cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 06:48 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Gulf and Basco is not a brand of cabinets, G and B sell several major brands of cabinets and they do not sell to any large builders, only a few small ones. These days they are not selling to any builders because no builders are building, only going out of business. G and B has already closed 21 of it's own stores.
You are correct, they are a dealer, the brand I bought is Cardell. I saw them in a Long Lake home, that's how I knew about them. I asked the salesperson about them, she said they were Cardell and came from Gulf Basco. They were a maple cabinet and seemed well built. I don't know about builders, but HBJ listed Long Lakes as the 4th largest builder in Houston, so they must sell to some large builders. Their showroom is in an old warehouse on the east side. I got the impression it's the only location they have. Perhaps you are confusing them with someone else?

Quote:
For those who keep saying IKEA, whataya nuts? They are nothing but corrugated carboard boxes. I can find better quality cabinets from behind the Randals food store where they toss the corrugated cardboard boxes into the trash.
I would agree. I like Ikea, but to buy cabinets from them would be folly.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:11 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
You are correct, they are a dealer, the brand I bought is Cardell. I saw them in a Long Lake home, that's how I knew about them. I asked the salesperson about them, she said they were Cardell and came from Gulf Basco. They were a maple cabinet and seemed well built. I don't know about builders, but HBJ listed Long Lakes as the 4th largest builder in Houston, so they must sell to some large builders. Their showroom is in an old warehouse on the east side. I got the impression it's the only location they have. Perhaps you are confusing them with someone else?

I would agree. I like Ikea, but to buy cabinets from them would be folly.
I just want to say to you that Cardell is a good brand. I know them very very well. A Utah company that employ almost all Mormons at the plant. I used the product for quite a few years.

I dont know Long Lakes Builders really but that dont mean much, I'm still kinda on the new side here and dont know many of the local builders, I only know the large national ones.

Well the IKEA are just a basic cardboard box. Cheap inexpensive and serves the temporary purpose for 2 or 3 years before they disintegrate, kinda like a disposable cabinet. But after 5 years and 2 or 3 forced remodels later, one might have well just bought a quality brand which would have lasted for many years.

Good luck to ya......

Old 08-28-2009, 07:35 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times
Quote:
I just want to say to you that Cardell is a good brand. I know them very very well. A Utah company that employ almost all Mormons at the plant. I used the product for quite a few years.
Cardell is a San Antonio company. I looked them up before I bought them. I wanted to make sure they weren't a Home Depot house brand or something.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:45 AM

1,211 posts, read 3,557,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Cardell is a San Antonio company.
^ correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: