U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 08-26-2009, 08:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,153 times
Default Commute from Woodlands to Deer Park??

Hello, I have a question. I currently live in Galveston (Tiki Island) and commute to Deer Park. My husband has recently started a new job in the Woodlands. He had to get a apartment until we sell our house. He lives 5 minutes from work and just loves it there. I thought we would have to live somewhere in the middle for both of our commutes. Well I was up there overnight and drove to Deer Park (he is living in the Boardwalk apartments-very close to I-45. I actually got there in about 50 minutes via the Hardy Toll Road (very close to my commute time now). I left around 6:15 am

So my question is for anyone who does/knows this commute. Is this a reasonable expatation for a normal commute time (minus construction/wrecks). I would love to live in the woodlands and less than an hour would be ok. I don't have a set schedule/days. Over 1/2 the time I have to go in very early so I would miss the traffic anyway. The very latest work start time would be 8:00. Also, thinking about a townhouse around the town center area to stay close to I-45. We are a 40 ish childless couple and the market street area looks very interesting. Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-27-2009, 12:23 PM

14,520 posts, read 13,202,323 times
That may be a rough commute...then again you probably need to ride the Beltway or 610 as opposed to going inbound on 45 or 59. If your comfortable with an hour then go for it. I live near downtown and commute outward, but the traffic looks thick coming in.

What about somewher like the Heights...reverse commute???

Unread 08-27-2009, 02:29 PM

3,700 posts, read 10,182,264 times
Yikes! I live in DP and would never contemplate that commute. The commute to Galveston isn't bad. Beltway 8E is under construction (for the next few years) and has a whole bunch of lights, 610 is also under construction, at least for the moment. I imagine it would be better once the 610 construction is complete.

Unread 08-27-2009, 02:33 PM

5,024 posts, read 3,270,823 times
other then being a long haul the traffic is not that bad. just hit the hardy south, it will DE into 610. take 610 east to 225 south. not a lot of traffic either way. i would never try the beltway as there is a ton of construction and lights on the east side. no tolls though

just a long drive not a bad drive

Unread 08-27-2009, 03:11 PM

3,700 posts, read 10,182,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i would never try the beltway as there is a ton of construction and lights on the east side. no tolls though
$2.00 to go over the bridge though.

Unread 08-27-2009, 03:14 PM

9,532 posts, read 21,601,145 times
Yikes! I live in Seabrook...have friends in the Woodlands...takes us a hell of alot longer than that...never in rush hr. While DeerPark is closer...I'd never do it on a daily basis.

Unread 08-27-2009, 04:57 PM

2 posts, read 4,153 times
Thanks everyone. It have only driven it once. I will need to do it many more times before I decide. I went from hardy to 610 to I 10 to beltway 8 and over the ship channel bridge (tolls would be kind of steep this way). Think I will try hardy-610-to 225 and see how it is. Wouldn't even consider going down 45 to downtown. It don't think that I would do this if I had to go in everyday at 8:00 but I have a different schedule weekly and more times than not it is way earlier and not every day of the week. Just have to see if living in the woodlands is worth the commute. According to my GPS it is only 6 more miles that what I drive now!!!!

Unread 08-27-2009, 05:27 PM

8,685 posts, read 13,671,033 times
The Woodlands is one hell of a commute just from Central Houston. Twice a week on average there's a wreck. Fridays you may as well stay in town and have dinner in otnw before even trying to make your way up there.

Unread 11-11-2009, 03:44 PM

130 posts, read 271,649 times
I have a neighbor that makes the commute to Clear Lake every day. He says it is worth it and uses hardy Toll road. He leaves early and arrives back early, which helps. He told me just a little over an hour commute. To me it is more like 1 hour 20 minutes but he makes it in less time than that. It is about 45 minutes to downtown. If you live in the back of The Woodlands it would take longer. We live in the middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston