U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 08:56 PM

2,605 posts, read 8,144,253 times

Advertisements

When you talk about discriminatory practices, it is only discrimination against the protected classes that is illegal. Keep in mind discrimination in housing happens all the time and it is perfectly legal. People with bad credit are discriminated against. In rental situations people with big dogs are discriminated against as well as people with certain kinds of criminal backgrounds. Discrimination alone is not illegal, it only crosses the line when a protected class is involved.

The point being that as long as source of income is not a protected class either by Federal law or additional local ordinance, then I don't see how they would have a basis for challenging a subdivision restriction that prohibits section 8. Not the way the law stands as we speak.

If a landlord wanted to take section 8 against the restrictive covenants of the development and he wanted to use unfair discrimination as the reason for challenging it, then he would have to prove it was discriminatory based on protected classes. Just calling it "discriminatory" alone doesn't make it illegal. Now if he had some other argument against the restriction, and there may be other arguments, then that is something else entirely.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 10:13 PM

809 posts, read 3,326,812 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Maybe it would have helped if I would have started by saying, "My brother is a lawyer and was involved in an HOA/Section 8 battle that nearly wiped out an HOA." That's how I know. I apologize for saying you were trying to find ways to discriminate against people.
Was it the same situation where the Deed Restrictions prohibit Section 8 rentals? Can I ask what the result of the suit was?

My goal is not so much to kick anyone out, but rather to prevent the landlord from making his house a section 8 rental once this lease is up.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:22 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,212,649 times
Subsidized housing for low income families and individuals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, but exactly what is "Section 8"? I've heard the term for years but dont know what it is.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:41 AM

410 posts, read 1,392,578 times
Just FYI: Some landlords don't take Section 8 because the housing authority doesn't pay their part of the subsidy for 3+ months. Who really wants to wait that long and have to "front" that mortgage payment? (I know that for a fact the initial payment is late most of the time). There is also ALOT of paperwork and the housing authority inspects the unit to deem it "fit" for the person to live in. I will say after the initial "wait period" which could be like I said a couple months the payments come every month on time.

It's not always a discrimination issue. Everyone that recieves assistance isn't a "bad" person or will damage someone's property. Their are "bad seeds" out there just like every other place that rents out apartments, homes, etc. There will always be people who don't take care of a property they are renting. That's why landlords must do their "research" before leasing to tenant and do periodic inspections of their units so they won't be shocked when the resident moves out and the unit has repairs that cost thousands of dollars$$$$$$$.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:47 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,955,159 times
What I don't like is the they have Section 8 apartment complexes next to the ones that are not Section 8. Totally different income levels.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,946 times
I need to see if a home in my neighborhood is a section 8 home, is there a web site I could check it out at?

Old 07-15-2010, 11:15 AM

9,050 posts, read 15,531,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Happy 2 View Post
Just FYI: Some landlords don't take Section 8 because the housing authority doesn't pay their part of the subsidy for 3+ months. Who really wants to wait that long and have to "front" that mortgage payment? (I know that for a fact the initial payment is late most of the time). There is also ALOT of paperwork and the housing authority inspects the unit to deem it "fit" for the person to live in. I will say after the initial "wait period" which could be like I said a couple months the payments come every month on time.

It's not always a discrimination issue. Everyone that recieves assistance isn't a "bad" person or will damage someone's property. Their are "bad seeds" out there just like every other place that rents out apartments, homes, etc. There will always be people who don't take care of a property they are renting. That's why landlords must do their "research" before leasing to tenant and do periodic inspections of their units so they won't be shocked when the resident moves out and the unit has repairs that cost thousands of dollars$$$$$$$.
Because of the increased problems with a Section 8 rental, most landlords will not do it a second time. That's why Section 8 rentals in the MLS are few.

I imagine they will get around to including gays in the Fair Housing categories before source of income. It's hard to believe that in this day and time, gays are not included. Secondly, because of the burden placed on landlords with Section 8, I don't see how individuals can be forced to accept them.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:40 PM

220 posts, read 342,079 times
Can someone please explain to me all the concern about section 8 voucher holders on the mainland?? Here, in Hawaii, at least on Oahu, if you have a good enough credit score and can come up with 3% of downpayment, you can use voucher to become a homeowner. Now, obviously, someone that has a voucher and would be first time homeowner isn't going to be able to buy a $5,000,000 home, but I know of a few people who were on welfare and actually broke their cycle of poverty by becoming the owners of a modest property, getting off section 8 and welfare, and through gradually trading up, are actually millionaires on paper (not in liquid assets).

I've read a few threads on Section 8 on this website, and many people seem very fearful/disgusted by it. In Hawaii, if you can find housing in the better neighborhoods, as renters, very few complain about it (or know about it?). It is rare, but does happen sometimes, and the families' lives change dramatically for the better, esp. for their children.

I don't know about zoning in Honolulu, but as long as the place, apt. or house, is a separate unit with its own entry, has a bathroom area and kitchen area for the renter's exclusive use, then if a landlord wants to rent to Section 8, no problem, in almost all cases. Many new, moderately priced apartment complexes have a certain percentage set aside for Section 8 renters. I know of only a few apartment complexes that rent only to Section 8 voucher holders.

I'm curious about the system in other states/cities.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:58 PM

584 posts, read 1,675,592 times
if i was the land lord i would tell you none of your dam business, as long as the cops are not there all the time. sec 8 does not make some one low life they might be disabled. elderly. few years back i rented in a place that had a tenets association. they tried to tell me and the g/f what color curtains we could have(had to match neighbors and not clash with them from the out side) the color of one Deck furniture even. was not informed they had this group. when we rented. i do not like ra's or hoas both tend to be ran by power hungry fools. get to know the tenets. i manage building if a renter ask if a new person gets hud i tell them mind your own place.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:36 PM

3 posts, read 4,394 times
So b/c some ppl give the program a bad name all ppl on section 8 are bad? How quick ppl r to judge. Shame! Shame! What happend to all ppl are equal? Does that only apply to color? I think not!!Now how ignorant is that train of thought??? !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston