U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 09:26 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,914,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asange3 View Post
So b/c some ppl give the program a bad name all ppl on section 8 are bad? How quick ppl r to judge. Shame! Shame! What happend to all ppl are equal? Does that only apply to color? I think not!!Now how ignorant is that train of thought??? !!
Whatever the reason, people on Section 8 are, by definition, mooches. I say if you can't afford your own place, move in with your parents. Don't have parents? Move in with your siblings. No siblings? No aunts? No uncles? No Friends? Nobody that's willing to help you? Chances are you're a bum.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 09:28 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,432,669 times
oh man.

id hate for you to have had the life of the average kid nowadays. what if your family members are the ones that are bums and to succeed you have to cut all ties? you are then a bum because you've got no where to go? not having people helping you out (i.e. you mooch off them) does not mean you are a bum

Old 08-30-2011, 07:13 AM

1,576 posts, read 2,914,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
oh man.

id hate for you to have had the life of the average kid nowadays. what if your family members are the ones that are bums and to succeed you have to cut all ties? you are then a bum because you've got no where to go? not having people helping you out (i.e. you mooch off them) does not mean you are a bum
If you work hard enough, you can support yourself. Period.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappinator View Post
Either PM me the address or provide here and I can check old MLS listings on HAR.
1515 Prentice Street
Arlington, Texas 76018

Could you please check if it is section8?

Old 04-07-2018, 08:30 PM

292 posts, read 176,523 times
This is an interesting thread. We had an HOA fight started by a lawyer on the HOA board.

Long story short, she did not know what she was talking about. If the HOA membership had followed her lead, they HOA would have been bankrupt and homeowners most likely would have had to dip into the home equity to pay off any remaining legal fees.

HOA law isn't much of a law in Houston. It is a sub specialty of real estate law, I imagine.

There are not many lawyers who actively practice this sort of law. The lawyer in question actually retained two different attorneys, only to find out the case had no merit.

I would not think it to wise to move someone out of a crackhouse...low income or not, and into a section 8 in a high end hood. There should be strict background checks, etc.

In another state of which I previously resided, they had low cost housing in decent areas, nothing high end...no Tanglewood, no West U, but safe working class neighborhoods

Many of the renters were low income single mothers who had to pass background checks. The schools were good in the area, good transportation, good municipalities and infrastructure.

Most of the people worked and also pursued higher education to advance themselves further.

For those who have criminal records, they typically were moved into housing projects or rentals in areas where the police knew of the presence of ex-cons in the area. Many also pursued betterment of themselves and moved out of the area.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:11 PM

3 posts, read 1,261 times
I have a relative who recently received a section 8 voucher. Was in a truck accident and became disabled. Shes a former RN. (Registered Nurse) lost her home and had to rent. Theres an income limit in all states that you must fall within. Her income MUST be under $61,000 per year. (To qualify)Seems to me, some section 8 clients make much more than others that complain about secrion 8 people. Lets not be so judgemental. GOD forbid, someone as yourselves loose a limb, spouse or even your home. Im sitting here wondering how many of you make over $61,000 in your upscale
neighborhood??
So..not ALL secrion 8 clients are low income. 樂Im not bragging but I made $7000.00 every week!(owner of trucking co.)in case you're wondering.
I myself now disabled, had NO choice but to apply for assistance. I live in a 3200 sq ft home that cost $400,000 and my landlord loves me as a tenant. Great person/tenant before section and will continue to be. Section 8 doesn't mean...trifling, dirty, poor, problematic people. May God find favor in you! Have a nice day!

Old 06-09-2018, 02:03 PM

292 posts, read 176,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nee77 View Post
I have a relative who recently received a section 8 voucher. Was in a truck accident and became disabled. Shes a former RN. (Registered Nurse) lost her home and had to rent. Theres an income limit in all states that you must fall within. Her income MUST be under $61,000 per year. (To qualify)Seems to me, some section 8 clients make much more than others that complain about secrion 8 people. Lets not be so judgemental. GOD forbid, someone as yourselves loose a limb, spouse or even your home. Im sitting here wondering how many of you make over $61,000 in your upscale
neighborhood??
So..not ALL secrion 8 clients are low income. 樂Im not bragging but I made $7000.00 every week!(owner of trucking co.)in case you're wondering.
I myself now disabled, had NO choice but to apply for assistance. I live in a 3200 sq ft home that cost $400,000 and my landlord loves me as a tenant. Great person/tenant before section and will continue to be. Section 8 doesn't mean...trifling, dirty, poor, problematic people. May God find favor in you! Have a nice day!
If you are disabled, it is in your favor to rent, as a person who has serious enough health problems to quality as disabled typically cannot take care of a home without hiring others to do some of the work.

I do not believe that most folks are actually worried about income levels in section 8 housing, more often it is a concern based on previous criminal activity. We are not talking about small amounts of maryjane raps, speeding tickets or minor misdemeanors, bad credit, etc. We are talking serious crime. No one wants to live by a sexual predator, either.

If you are disabled, you should concern yourself with the quality of the people who reside around you, as you might appear to be a easy hit for those who take advantage of a person due to physical or mental liabilities

Quality of your neighbors based on their criminal background, not fiscal background.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:16 AM

3 posts, read 1,261 times
I totally agree with you, you have a point. I also believe there are people in professions such as Lawyers, Doctors, Priests, Educators, Therapist etc... that may reside right next door and come with the baggage or criminal background that members post about. So I'd find it safe to say " not all persons on section 8 are animals, lowlife, problematic, dirty, OR ex-convicts/pedophiles. Remember: although the last thing any home owner or renter would like is to be in the same neighborhood, theyre all around and come in many forms and hold a professional positions. In fact most who commit those type of crimes arent on section 8. They have wonderful families, nice home and great jobs. ��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston