U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 08:53 AM

67 posts, read 268,475 times

Advertisements

We are searching for home insurance (and plan to bundle with car).

Can you please recommend your homeowner's insurance?
After IKE how were they with claims?
Did you see increased deductibles after IKE, etc.
What's your approx cost (include your square footage and coverage)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 11:44 AM

437 posts, read 1,442,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbiz View Post

Liberty Mutual. Did not have any claims with Ike.
For 1500 sq.ft. home covered for $200k I am a little under $1000. For two cars fully insured I am around $1400 year. We switched from Farmers, the savings were to good.

You know what they say about insurance company, they are all the same until you need to make a claim.

Good Luck!!

Old 09-03-2009, 12:30 PM

4,707 posts, read 11,743,379 times
I also use Liberty Mutual. We pay around $650/year for a 3k sq. ft house (Montgomery County) covered for 250k and then $70/month for full coverage on a mini-van and min coverage on a truck. Haven't ever had a claim so can't say as to that part.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:38 PM

3,702 posts, read 16,343,372 times
Ditto w/Liberty Mutual. No claims since I bought my house, but did have claims on Auto and renters before. Very pleased w/ the service at that time.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:25 PM

67 posts, read 320,999 times
With Gieco for home and car...for $950 pyear for home 200k home ins for 230k and 3 cars for $600 per 6mnths

Old 09-03-2009, 04:31 PM

8,231 posts, read 27,139,297 times
2,200 sq ft, insured @ 220k, 1% ded, Clear Lake near Ellington Field, was pushing 1,900/yr last time. I didn't claim anything for Ike but I'm expecting it to go to 2,300 next month. The next best quote I could get before Ike was 2,400, which was only one of very few insurers in this area. I'm grandfathered in with my co but they don't write new policies anymore down here.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:37 PM

191 posts, read 685,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbiz View Post

Msbiz, we are in the same situation as you looking for both Homeowners and Car Insurance. I too would like to know how the various insurance companies treated their clients settling IKE claims. You can go on the state of Texas Insurance Board website and see how each company is rated and all.

Here is a link to a resource page on the State of Texas Insurance Website to help with shopping for insurance:
http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/consumer/shopping.html

Last edited by slnt; 09-04-2009 at 02:46 PM..

Old 09-04-2009, 03:06 PM

809 posts, read 3,200,458 times
I ready on the citydata Personal Finance board where a couple of people said they saved a lot of money using Amica. I don't know anything about them, but it might be worth getting a quote from them.

I've never had a claim, so I can't comment on my current company.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:16 PM

202 posts, read 734,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTx View Post
I ready on the citydata Personal Finance board where a couple of people said they saved a lot of money using Amica. I don't know anything about them, but it might be worth getting a quote from them.

I've never had a claim, so I can't comment on my current company.
We shopped around quite a bit and found Amica to be the least expensive for the coverage we needed. We're in a 100 yr flood zone and have mandatory flood insurance. We combined our car and home plans and saved more. Plus you get a small dividend check each year. I've filed one car claim and it was so easy and quick. Their local and nationla offices are very helpful - no complaints.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:30 PM

1,270 posts, read 3,781,134 times
Amica is fantastic if they will cover you. I have always had them for homeowners and auto insurance until we bought our current 1930's home. Until we completely upgrade the electrical, they won't cover the house. Oh well, they are good!

We have Nationwide and did have a $10k Ike claim last year, so I'm curious what our rate will be when they send out the renewal (any day now!). We were told that Ike claims aren't going to impact the rates, but you know they will make money somehow, so they will just find a way to increase the rates (or decrease the coverage) until that money fills up their coffers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston