Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 05:46 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1956 View Post
Schools "cancel" classes all the time for all sorts of things- Geez, I remember getting out of class to see "Up with People"--hardly educational.

And it's the President. A big deal for kids to have the President talking to them. Not to adults. to them. I think that the speech would leave kids with the feeling "Gee, the President of the USA cared enough about kids, to take time and talk to us" The kids don't care about the politics of it.

At least that's how my kids would have viewed it.
Exactly

Old 09-05-2009, 06:14 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Yeah, sums it up, IF, that's what he talks about. What else is he going to talk about and how is he going to present it? I wish parents could review it prior to it being presented to our children. That's not irational.

Signed,

Rational Parent who cares about my child.
Do you review all lessons your child gets at school before they get them? Or, do you believe the teachers are completely free of politics and agenda?

Or do you trust the school, and your kids, that in the end a balanced message will be presented, and your kids will be smart enough to understand it using the values that you taught them?

I don't see how this is any different.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:22 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Do you review all lessons your child gets at school before they get them? Or, do you believe the teachers are completely free of politics and agenda?

Or do you trust the school, and your kids, that in the end a balanced message will be presented, and your kids will be smart enough to understand it using the values that you taught them?

I don't see how this is any different.
All my kids are out of school now. But yes, I did review the curriculuum prior to school each year for ALL 7 of my children. Seldom had heartburn with topics. But this is a whole different ballgame. It's a president that is known for bowing to the Saudi King, telling Europe that the US is not a Christian nation, etc... What's he going to spring them with? He's just too unpredictable.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:43 PM

293 posts, read 1,035,402 times
Yes, it is VERY different now. You have to be more careful than ever for sure.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:45 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,326 times
Quote:
All my kids are out of school now. But yes, I did review the curriculuum prior to school each year for ALL 7 of my children. Seldom had heartburn with topics. But this is a whole different ballgame. It's a president that is known for bowing to the Saudi King, telling Europe that the US is not a Christian nation, etc... What's he going to spring them with? He's just too unpredictable.
Well, I find that really funny. The most unpredictable President of recent years was George W. Bush. You really never knew what he was going to say next.

And guess what? The US is not a Christian nation. We have something called freedom of religion. It's one of the principles our nation was founded on, and one of the things we should be most proud of.

Are you going to erase this comment of mine, because you don't agree with it? Or recognize that I'm responding to your point?

Old 09-05-2009, 07:57 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Well, I find that really funny. The most unpredictable President of recent years was George W. Bush. You really never knew what he was going to say next.

And guess what? The US is not a Christian nation. We have something called freedom of religion. It's one of the principles our nation was founded on, and one of the things we should be most proud of.

Are you going to erase this comment of mine, because you don't agree with it? Or recognize that I'm responding to your point?
Why would I erase it?

But, our nation was founded on religion. You are right, GW was unpredictable. But I'm not turning this into a political debate of old used up presidents. I'm talking about the sitting president, right now, being unpredictable. If my kids were still in school, they would not go in the day of that presentation, unless I could review it first. There is no room for politics for 1st graders. If he truely does talk about responsibility of education, that would certainly be fine. But they won't release what he's going to talk about. Just generalizations.

They should air it, say 10:30 at night for parents to watch. Then bring it out in the schools at a later date. Some of the schools have said they flat refuse to show it. Some have said they will show it at a later date and the parents can choose if their children should view it, with an alternate assignment for those that don't. And some schools are refusing to say one way or the other if they are going to show it. Those are the schools that should be in question. Why won't they say? What are they hiding? They think it's none of the parents business what they provide for education. Suspect? You bet.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:32 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
Quote:
Why would I erase it?

But, our nation was founded on religion. You are right, GW was unpredictable. But I'm not turning this into a political debate of old used up presidents. I'm talking about the sitting president, right now, being unpredictable. If my kids were still in school, they would not go in the day of that presentation, unless I could review it first. There is no room for politics for 1st graders. If he truely does talk about responsibility of education, that would certainly be fine. But they won't release what he's going to talk about. Just generalizations.

They should air it, say 10:30 at night for parents to watch. Then bring it out in the schools at a later date. Some of the schools have said they flat refuse to show it. Some have said they will show it at a later date and the parents can choose if their children should view it, with an alternate assignment for those that don't. And some schools are refusing to say one way or the other if they are going to show it. Those are the schools that should be in question. Why won't they say? What are they hiding? They think it's none of the parents business what they provide for education. Suspect? You bet.
What I'm wondering is what you think he would actually say that would be harmful to the children. Do you think he's going to talk about Health Care Reform or tell them to bow to the Saudi King? Is he going to read verses from the Quran? I honestly don't get what is so scary about what he will say. Most likely he won't say anything political because the children wouldn't understand it or they simply wouldn't care. A message about staying in school and working hard seems very innocent to me. If for some strange reason it becomes political I'm sure parents will be able to talk to their kids about what they saw. But I doubt that would be necessary because what would really be the point?

The funny thing is that all these kids being pulled out of school are going to love it because they are getting a day off from school because of a 15 minute webcast. They will miss an entire day of school to miss out on 15 minutes. Sounds like these kids will be behind a day compared to the other kids who did go to school. It will have been awesome I guess If my parents had pulled me out of school every time my school did something unrelated to education like pep rallies, and other various non education related events. I thought it was hilarious when the person posted about schools making us sit through the yo yo performers and then selling yo yo's afterwards. I totally remember them coming to our school and doing that too. I don't remember parents complaining about that not being in the curriculum.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:35 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,577 times
What I'm wondering is what parents are planning to tell their children as to the reason they are being pulled out of school while other children will be attending school as usual.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:54 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
What I'm wondering is what parents are planning to tell their children as to the reason they are being pulled out of school while other children will be attending school as usual.
Whatever they tell them it is sure going to put fear into the kids about who their President is. If I was a child I would be pretty scared if my parents were pulling me out of school to avoid hearing a message to them from the President. I would think he was some sort of tyrant. Most likely they will just be happy to have a day off from having to learn anything and can just sit at home playing video games and watching tv while the other kids are in class being educated.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:17 PM

293 posts, read 1,035,402 times
It will be fabulous when it is all over!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: