Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2007, 07:15 PM

38 posts, read 388,060 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me which are the most well represented banks in Houston?

Do any of the majors, e.g. Citibank, Bank of America, have a good network?

Which is the way to go for convenient, safe banking with good ATM access and online features.

Thanks,
RJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 07:48 PM

93 posts, read 334,987 times
I have Washington Mutual. I've been with them since they took over Bank United. I never had any problems with them. I switced to Bank of America because they are everywhere- I moved to Va. Anyways, I hear Wells Fargo is good too.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:36 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,458,760 times
Try credit unions. They are second to Nordstrom in customer satisfaction. But you have to qualify for membership somehow because the law limits who a CU can serve. The easiest way is to qualify is by a "community" field of membership; living within a geographic region defined in its charter. This website should give more information: America's Credit Unions.

Citibank is generally not into consumer branch banking, so their branch network is very limited all over the U.S. They have few branches in Houston.

Bank of America and Chase (since the Bank One merger) have good branch/ATM networks around Houston. Wachovia is expanding its presence to saturate the market that the other two have. Wells Fargo is following suit.

Don't forget the smaller regionals like Regions, Comerica, Compass, Whitney, Capital One, Guaranty, First Bank, etc.

Check out the independent local banks like Amegy, Sterling, or Prosperity. Then there are small banks like Post Oak Bank and community banks like Traditon Bank or Wallis State bank.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:38 AM

76 posts, read 388,815 times
BoA, Compass, Chase are all good IMO.

WAMU IS TERRIBLE.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:59 AM

179 posts, read 858,613 times
Amegy Bank has great customer service and they don't nickel and dime you like the bigger banks do.

Amegy Bank was formed when Klein Bank and Southwest Bank of Texas merged. I was with Klein Bank.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:36 AM

799 posts, read 3,695,202 times
I have wells fargo. They are everywhere so convenient for me.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:48 PM

3 posts, read 26,230 times
I have been with WAMU since 2001 and have been very happy with them.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:03 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,458,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom22bless View Post
Amegy Bank has great customer service and they don't nickel and dime you like the bigger banks do.

Amegy Bank was formed when Klein Bank and Southwest Bank of Texas merged. I was with Klein Bank.
Amegy Bank hasn't been the same since the merger with Zions Bancorp. Hopefully the fees stayed the same or were nominal increases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: