U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 07:04 PM

3,700 posts, read 11,399,722 times

Advertisements

Oh good grief people! This is way over reacting. Basing this on an admittedly fuzzy picture, this type of mold (it is actually a fungus) forms when there is a temperature differential from inside the duct to outside. If you touch the vent, it will be very cool while the room is still fairly warm. This causes any moisture in the air to condense on the cool metal surface and mold/fungus to grow and dirt to collect. Most of what you are seeing is dirt/dust. It is very common and not generally dangerous. Cleaning periodically with common household bleach will remove any problems.

Most health effects from this are hysterical or because you have a visual stimulus you are just noticing them and are probably not directly related to the mold/fungus presence. I have seen this problem numerous times including in my own apartment and at my office. Seeing as how I have access to the appropriate type of lab, I have had it checked numerous times as well w/ no problem.

Now if the stuff were growing on the sheet rock, I would be more concerned.

If you are really concerned, notify your apartment management in writing. My guess is that they will send someone in to test it and find exactly what I described above. You can also have someone test it yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 07:21 PM

27,234 posts, read 20,945,191 times
The air leaving the evaporator is almost always near saturated. When checked it's almost always in between 85%-95% relative humidity, although 95% is rare. The first thing this makes me think of is an airflow problem. The evaporator coil should be cleaned along with the fan and it's blades. What happens when the airflow is too low is the air is actually colder than it should be. Sounds strange, I know, but the volume decreases as the temperature drop increases. It's leaving your supply vents below the dew point in the apartment so they basically are always wet. If your maint. team can clean the coil, fan and blades and make sure if the fan motor needs to be oiled it is then you can increase the volume of air your system is moving and decrease the temperature drop which will help with keeping the vents above the dew point. If the temperature drop is say 25 and they can increase the airflow enough to bring it down to say 15-20 that's a 5 degree increase which may be enough to keep the vents from being below the dewpoint.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:33 PM

259 posts, read 455,625 times
i can't believe you're downplaying the effects of black mold! a quick google search will show you symptoms of everything from the sniffles to being celiac/gluten intolerant to the beginning of MS!

she doesn't own her apartment, she rents. renting is NOT worth serious health problems.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:09 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,844,430 times
Hello 4evergolden,

The Texas Department of State Health Services maintains a list of your local Health Departments and can be found at Texas Department of State Health Services, Region 2 and 3. Your local Health Department should be able to advise you on what requirements are present for apartment owners, etc.

If you have questions regarding mold related, testing remediation, licensing, responsibilities, etc., they also maintain has a special page for the state run mold programs. Theat WEB site is Mold Program Home Page.

Good luck!

Old 09-09-2009, 08:22 PM

17 posts, read 58,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Oh good grief people! This is way over reacting. Basing this on an admittedly fuzzy picture, this type of mold (it is actually a fungus) forms when there is a temperature differential from inside the duct to outside. If you touch the vent, it will be very cool while the room is still fairly warm. This causes any moisture in the air to condense on the cool metal surface and mold/fungus to grow and dirt to collect. Most of what you are seeing is dirt/dust. It is very common and not generally dangerous. Cleaning periodically with common household bleach will remove any problems.

Most health effects from this are hysterical or because you have a visual stimulus you are just noticing them and are probably not directly related to the mold/fungus presence. I have seen this problem numerous times including in my own apartment and at my office. Seeing as how I have access to the appropriate type of lab, I have had it checked numerous times as well w/ no problem.

Now if the stuff were growing on the sheet rock, I would be more concerned.

If you are really concerned, notify your apartment management in writing. My guess is that they will send someone in to test it and find exactly what I described above. You can also have someone test it yourself.
yes the picture is blurry because i only have a camera phone and i had to stand on my tippy tows..lol. and its not just dust and dirt. it's completely black and there are spots.and it's exactly like the pictures that i googled..and the symptoms can't be explained away by dust.

also there is a moldy smell when i get close to it.
I have generally bad allergies and so does my bf.
I'm definitely telling my apartment manager to get it checked but its on all our vents and it didn't used to look like that. there is also some discoloration on our wall that the vent blows out from.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:27 PM

YouTube - Toxic Black Mold Syndrome

also look up the newest research on it....and the trailer for the documentary thats coming out..before you tell me its just dust.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:29 PM

3,567 posts, read 1,740,458 times
I would not withhold any rent. That will fire back. You need to follow the law to fight them.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:40 PM

like i said before we also had water damage from hurricane ike in some of the apartments but they wouldnt tell us which ones..and at our first one bedroom there was this pipe that leaked every night...
its vents looked the same i just never thought my health problems could be from it so i never researched it...thank you everyone for your advice.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:43 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 4,524,907 times
Default Get it tested

A long long time ago I lived in a place while going to college and I seemed to have more allergies and asthma problems while living there and then one day I took the vents down to clean and wooooh and behold I noticed black mold on my vents like yours and freaked out. I found a company that tests and identified mold samples. They had me take a piece of clear tape and tape over the mold pressing on it with the tape so that you can embed the mold onto the tape and mailed it to them in a special envelope they sent to me. Within two days they sent results and it was a dangerous mold. I took the report to the office and they released me from my lease so I could move and my heath turned around! I highly recommend you do the same. It was only 25$ and I can't imagine it more costly today.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:56 PM

43,203 posts, read 47,082,143 times
The photo is terrible but that isn't necssary black mold or mold at all. Looks more like you haven't had you system ever cleaned. Dust in a air duct over thime will pcikup even cooking oils as they leave the kitchen and look like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston