U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 04:41 PM

2,577 posts, read 5,486,169 times
A lot of older neighborhoods have civic clubs instead of HOAs. There is a difference. An HOA usually has a mandatory fee that you must pay. They have more revenue to hire lawyers if someone violates the rules as well as paying for other things like security patrols.

Civic clubs are usually not mandatory and only have voluntary dues. They are often times limited by funds on what they can pursue the full distance so often times only the most serious infractions are really pursued, especially if it requires a lawsuit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 06:14 PM

1,408 posts, read 2,258,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynicholson77056 View Post
Never said I didn't want a HOA...I live in a neighborhood with a HOA and it's just fine. It was just a random question.
It sounded like a question from someone inquiring about purchasing a home in one of the "best neighborhoods without HOA's."

Sorry, I misinterpreted it.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:27 PM

354 posts, read 1,749,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Homes View Post
It sounded like a question from someone inquiring about purchasing a home in one of the "best neighborhoods without HOA's."

Sorry, I misinterpreted it.
No prob!

Old 02-27-2010, 07:19 PM

3 posts, read 4,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Love View Post
Is there a specific reason why you don't want an HOA? Do you like to park cars in the lawn for days? Or let the grass grow for months at a time? Or have tons of animals?

98% of people do fine in HOA's. There are exceptions though! Don't get me wrong.
I don't want to live in an HOA community anymore. I live with my mom right now. When I buy a house, I want to be able to paint it whatever color I want. I want to be able to say to some one getting directions to my house, "it's the blue house" or something like that. Instead of all of the houses looking the same. I can take care of my own lawn and it won't cost me nearly as much as the HOA fees do. Lawn mower... plant some pretty things. How hard can it be? HOA is fine for people who don't mind the restrictions but like not having to worry about the exterior of their home looking nice because it's taken care of. I prefer the freedom to do what I want with my purchase. I don't want to ask permission if I want to make any little change to the exterior of my home.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:55 PM

1,551 posts, read 2,696,535 times
Instead of painting your house blue you could have your house # clearly displayed near the front door. HOA's do a good job of protecting property values, IMO.

Example of why HOA's are helpful:

Old 02-28-2010, 05:11 AM

460 posts, read 1,404,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iguess1001 View Post
... When I buy a house, I want to be able to paint it whatever color I want. I want to be able to say to some one getting directions to my house, "it's the blue house" or something like that... I prefer the freedom to do what I want with my purchase. I don't want to ask permission if I want to make any little change to the exterior of my home.
HOAs differ enormously in their rules and enforcement. There are many older neighborhoods with simple rules, like no home business, no multi-family housing and no three story. Or no rules at all. I'm sure you'll be able to find a neighborhood that is a good fit for you. But frankly, we'll never be neighbors because I don't want people with your perspective living next door to me. I don't want you to do something stupid with your house that will affect the value of the neighborhood and my house.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:15 PM

I'm not saying I'd do anything stupid. And that ugly blue house that some one posted a picture of is NOT my style. I still like things that are pretty. If I chose blue it'd be a very light blue with white trim. It's not that crazy bold blue. Anyway, I'm just saying if I pay money for my house, it should look as nice as I want it to. http://z.about.com/d/architecture/1/0/R/P/house3544.jpg maybe something like that or lighter. Anyways, it's not about the color of the house. It's about the freedom to do what I want. I don't think that just because I don't want an HOA home has to mean I have bad taste in homes.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
Instead of painting your house blue you could have your house # clearly displayed near the front door. HOA's do a good job of protecting property values, IMO.

Example of why HOA's are helpful:
How does the color of the house interfere with the house number being clearly displayed? You posted a picture of the ugliest blue house you could find. Good for you. Just because I don't want to be treated like a child with my property purchase doesn't mean I wouldn't want a pretty house. I just think I can do it with out some one else holding my hand. I can keep my house looking nice on my own terms. And I posted a picture of a blue house with white trim that is NOT ugly. Maybe you just couldn't imagine a blue house that was pretty.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:40 PM

1,126 posts, read 1,761,910 times
we are all looking forward to you moving out of your Mom's house and showing us all how it's done.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:45 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,084,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhg566 View Post
But frankly, we'll never be neighbors because I don't want people with your perspective living next door to me. I don't want you to do something stupid with your house that will affect the value of the neighborhood and my house.
In the vast expanses of America (and Texas) where HOAs don't exist, people rely on landscaping to avoid unsightly neighbors. Sometimes you just have to rely on yourself to solve problems rather than some pseudo-governmental entity like an HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston