U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-11-2009, 03:14 PM

86 posts, read 217,948 times

Advertisements

We are supposed to leave for Kemah tomorrow and spend Sat evening and Sunday all day at the boardwalk and the children's festival. Monday we were going to go to NASA and then Tuesday we were going to drive over to Galveston and try to hit the Strand and a beach.

But now the weather is predicting 30%-40% chance of scattered thunderstorms the whole time we are there. We don't mind a sporadic rainstorm or two, but if it's raining the whole time, that would be a wasted trip since 2 of the 3 activities are outdoors.

Those of you in Houston now, what is the weather doing (off and on, or raining all day?) Would you still go or try to postpone?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 03:22 PM

15,744 posts, read 15,893,577 times
There is a system in the gulf that is sending sporadic showers to the area. I think its supposed to be cloudy and rainy. This time of year it often rains everyday some where in the Houston area, but its a small patch of clouds. It may rain on one side of the loop and not the other.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:23 PM

2,243 posts, read 4,796,355 times
You never can tell. It could pour in Clear Lake and be completely dry in Glaveston. Plus most of NASA is indoors and parts of Kemah

Old 09-11-2009, 03:39 PM

9,794 posts, read 24,417,273 times
It's so hard to tell what the weather would do. I am in Seabrook....just over the Bridge from Kemah and we have not had any rain the last couple of days, when everyone else had downpours. So far, today, it looks like it could rain any second, but have not had a drop. Wish I could be of more help. But that is Tx weather for you!

Old 09-11-2009, 04:01 PM

Thanks everyone - that helps

We live in San Antonio, so we know the Texas weather can turn on you very quickly - but we were still discouraged to see a good chance of rain the *whole* time we are supposed to be there! We have considering postponing until next weekend, but we also know in September there is a good chance of rain in along the coast anyday.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:33 PM

21 posts, read 36,641 times
Unfortunately the weather isn't going to be perfect for your trip, but I don't think you should cancel. It rained on my way to the office today, but I haven't seen a drop since. It's been spurts of clouds, then sunshine. I don't know how the storm will develop, but the rain now seems very scattered and short showers. Enjoy your trip!

Old 09-11-2009, 05:02 PM

93 posts, read 476,317 times
Isn't it funny. I was sitting there looking at San Antonio on Google earth at the river walk saying..."Man, it must be nice to live near there and be able to take the family there". ( I live in League City, near kemah) I plan on taking a trip out there in the next couple of weeks. And here you are coming all the way down here just to see "Little o' nasa and kemah".

Sometimes its hard to see something you've grown up around as a "tourist attraction"...puts things in perspective and makes you want to appreciate it more. (Not that I haven't spent my fair share of time in kemah with the family..it IS a wonderful place)

Even if it rains...Kemah has a roof over the boardwalk "Porch" that looks over the fountains in the middle. The "porch" runs along the outside of all the little shops...and of course there are covered outside and inside restraunts that still over look the water. If this is the only weekend to go..I say go, although I would try to plan a kemah visit around a day when its hot and the kids can play outside in the water fountain that shoots out of the ground, watch the guy juggle fire and bowling ball pins..and listen to a live band play. (Bring a extra pair of clothes for the kids and towels so they can change after playing in the water.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coboblack View Post
Isn't it funny. I was sitting there looking at San Antonio on Google earth at the river walk saying..."Man, it must be nice to live near there and be able to take the family there". ( I live in League City, near kemah) I plan on taking a trip out there in the next couple of weeks. And here you are coming all the way down here just to see "Little o' nasa and kemah".

Sometimes its hard to see something you've grown up around as a "tourist attraction"...puts things in perspective and makes you want to appreciate it more. (Not that I haven't spent my fair share of time in kemah with the family..it IS a wonderful place)
That's funny - a friend of mine did a "staycation" here and went down and stayed on the riverwalk and saw the Alamo. My reaction was "booorrriiing" LOL To me, the Kemah boardwalk "sounds" so cute - probably like the riverwalk sounds to you!

We just want to go somewhere different and somewhere within 4 hours or less - and we've done Port Aransas/Corpus already several times this year. Kemah sounds cute and the kids have never seen NASA I'm going to check it out on Google Earth - hadn't thought of that!

Quote:
Even if it rains...Kemah has a roof over the boardwalk "Porch" that looks over the fountains in the middle. The "porch" runs along the outside of all the little shops...and of course there are covered outside and inside restraunts that still over look the water. If this is the only weekend to go..I say go, although I would try to plan a kemah visit around a day when its hot and the kids can play outside in the water fountain that shoots out of the ground, watch the guy juggle fire and bowling ball pins..and listen to a live band play. (Bring a extra pair of clothes for the kids and towels so they can change after playing in the water.
Good to know! They are having a children's festival this weekend and the people at the "Boardwalk" said it won't be cancelled unless there is a constant downpour - so here's hoping if it does rain, it's sporadic and light! Maybe the rain will keep it from being SOOO hot.

Thank you!

Old 09-14-2009, 10:27 AM

21 posts, read 36,641 times
I woke up Sunday to cloudy skies and a light drizzle, but decided to chance a trip to Galveston anyway. Ended up spending the entire day under a beautiful blue sky on the beach. Have the sunburn to prove it! It was a gorgeous day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston