Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2011, 02:34 PM

4 posts, read 6,901 times

Advertisements

Hello! My family is possibly relocating to Houston this fall, and looking at properties near work (along the energy corridor), I've noticed that taxes on properties in the $200,000 range went from a little over $1000/year in '07/'08 to over $3000 in '09 and $5000 in '10. What's the story on the recent hikes? Makes me a bit nervous about buying property, even though it appears from a distance that there are some great deals on the market right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 02:51 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,486,795 times
Go to www.hcad.org. Type in the address of house you're interested in and you can check the tax breakdown for the past 5 yrs, including the tax you'll pay for 2011.
Usually, the rates and house valuation don't go up much from year to year. It sounds like the house you're looking at is a newer construction. In that case, the first year, the owner is still being taxed for just the land. The 1-2 subsequent years, the valuation amount goes up significantly due to the house being added to the land. Another scenario where tax spikes is that the old house had a cap on its tax (ie, owner is over 65yo), and once the new young owner buys it, the cap is removed and house is taxed at fair value.
Once you buy the house, if you paid significantly higher or lower than the current tax appraisaal value, your new tax appraised value will the be amount you paid and so your tax will go up or down to reflect that.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:58 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,002,869 times
Property taxes in Texas suck. Welcome.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:05 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,358,294 times
But Harris County gives big (and I do mean big) tax breaks to Over-65 homeowners and many states/counties dont.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:44 PM

The houses we're looking at were all built in the 60s, so I don't think it is an issue of a sudden increase in value. The break-downs I've looked at actually show a decrease in property valuation, but an increase in taxes. And looking back at '05/06, the taxes were in the $3000/yr range.

I was just curious if there had been a big tax break in '07/08, and in general, I was wondering if it is typical for Houston property taxes to fluctuate so wildly.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:46 PM

@texasfirewheel - I'm glad to hear about the over-65 tax break. It will be another few decades before it would affect me, but as a matter of principle it bothers me when an old couple retires in the house they've owned free and clear for decades and then can't afford to pay the property taxes. My grandmother's property taxes are phenomenally high in Birmingham, and only extreme diligence in filling out paperwork makes it possible for her to live in the house she and her husband built over fifty years ago.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:19 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,486,795 times
Perhaps it was a Cap and the cap was removed.
Older properties in the 77077 and 77079 zips tend to have roughly 2.5% tax. For a 200k home, that's around 5k before any exemptions/caps. To my knowledge, the rate and breakdown of rates (ie, School tax, Hosp tax, etc) haven't really changed much in the past few years. Do you not have a realtor to help you with this? Did you look on hcad.org at the breakdowns of the total tax amount? You can always PM me the address and I can look at it for you. Btw, at hcad.org you can see if there's been a cap in the past 5 yrs, you can also check to see history of then the house had been sold.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:17 AM

Thanks for pointing me to the hcad website, houstonfan. That's a really useful link.

We don't have a realtor, as we're not sure if we're moving yet. Just doing some preliminary research at this point. If we accept the job offer, we're probably going to rent for a year to get a feel for the neighborhoods anyway. We're country folk, originally, so I'm a bit nervous about making sure we find a good part of town to live in. (Not to mention that the last time I lived in a city, as a child, we were robbed five times in two years. I do not want my children to go through the same experience).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston