Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:10 PM

98 posts, read 337,902 times

Advertisements

I have attended two different boot camps in the Memorial area. Both were wonderful and very reasonably priced. One was $50 a month for 3 days a week and the other was $120 for a 3 month session also 3 days a week. Since moving to Katy in June, I have looked all over for a boot camp in the area. I have found several but they are OUTRAGEOUSLY overpriced. The cheapest I found is $199 for 1 month (through katy YMCA). Now, I ask you, if a family membership to the Katy YMCA is about $80 a month and the same membership at Lifetime is about $180 a month, then who is paying this ridiculous boot camp fee???? I don't get it. I am really disappointed and discouraged. Anyone know of any decently priced boot camps nearby that maybe I overlooked? Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Anabel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 08:39 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times
When I joined the Navy I got a 3 month boot camp for free .

Old 09-16-2009, 09:54 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
Anabel, unfortunately I believe boot camps are simply following the trends of other such luxuries. The majority of the women in these classes are either single women in their 20's who have jobs that pay 60k or more or they are married trophy wife types. Everything for this demographic seems to have gone up or stayed the same (visit a Victoria's Secret sometime or go shop for an Audi or other luxury car). Furthermore, you have to consider that you are in Katy. They are gambling that you aren't going to drive way into the city for a boot camp. Hopefully one of the ladies can help you find a cheaper one.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:58 PM

Thanks for the comments, guys. I take great umbrage to being played for a fool which is what I feel is happening when someone wants to charge me that amount of $. I am a stay at home mom and am very blessed and grateful that my husband makes a six figure income. That being said, we are very careful with our finances and neither of us could stomach the thought of paying so much. My husband actually attends a mens boot camp in Memorial that is FREE! He works right by it and has showers at his office so it is perfect for him. For me, it is too far to drive.
Oh well, I am still hopeful someone will chime in with info on a reasonably priced one......

Old 09-17-2009, 07:10 AM

344 posts, read 1,187,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anabel View Post
...I take great umbrage to being played for a fool which is what I feel is happening when someone wants to charge me that amount of $. I am a stay at home mom and am very blessed and grateful that my husband makes a six figure income. That being said, we are very careful with our finances and neither of us could stomach the thought of paying so much.
I admire that line of thought, not enough people understand the importance of living within (or even below) their means as a way to have financial freedom. That said, I have a question/suggestion. Have you considered alternatives to a boot camp?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
When I joined the Navy I got a 3 month boot camp for free .
Same here when I joined the Marines. My suggestion is not anything that extreme, but one thing I learned in the Marines was that the group physical training thing was great for motivation, but you can do it all by yourself. In fact, once most people in the military get out of basic training the group physical fitness activities aren't that demanding. We would run as a group 3-4 times a week, but the real work of staying physically fit was an individual responsibility/activity. Have you considered doing it on your own, or do you feel that you need somebody pushing/leading the activity?

Old 09-17-2009, 07:22 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Yeah, they have you hostage out there for services. In the city there's too much competition for price gouging.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:34 PM

Dr. Lizardo, I so loved the camaraderie of the boot camp. I was eager to get out there every morning at 5:30 am and was in the best shape of my life. I did it up until 2 days before I gave birth to my son (albeit much more toned down, I just tried to maintain what I already was doing). I just loved being part of a group and having the leader be such a great motivator was also a plus. I am resigning myself to the idea that I will have to start going it on my own. I am leaning toward joining the Katy YMCA. I am very bummed I couldn't find anything comparably priced here in Katy. I thought things would be cheaper here than in my old neighborhood where most were, if not very well off, then downright wealthy.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:46 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,936,841 times
Well, you could check out the Women's Adventure Boot Camp classes once a week FREE at La Centerra at 5am and 8:30 am....I think they are Wednesday mornings, starting Sept 23. How'd that for affordable? Also if you are a mom, you could join Moxie Moms of Katy and get 15% off of any Adventure Boot Camp programs because they are a business partner...

Old 09-17-2009, 08:54 PM

Thanks, SB, for the suggestion. I am at Fry Rd. and Highland Knolls. Where is La Centerra? I know Women's Adventure was one of the ones I checked out and found to be expensive. But I would do the Wed. class if it's not too far.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:01 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,936,841 times
How long have you lived in Katy? La Centerra is the big upscale shopping center right off Grand Parkway at Cinco Ranch Blvd. Ya know where Panera, Starbucks, Kirkands, etc is. You aren't far at all. I guess the class must be outside in their "stage" area in the middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston