Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 02:24 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,596,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Um...no they're not...that was actually one of the reasons that I selected them...to show that the NATIVE greenery in Houston is in fact exceptionally lush.

Those pictures only show the greenery in Memorial (edge of NW side), and the North sides are lush, if I recognize those pix correctly. This looks similar to the NE sides esp north of I-10.

However, it doesn't speak for half of the metro. For example, down south on 59, 288 or 45... or even the entire south beltway stretch. There are swaths of lush-ness through here, but they are the exception not the rule.

The uncleared land between the south belt and El Dorado on both I-45 and Hwy 3 are perfect examples of the natural vegetation for at least half of the area. Most of the tree-line doesn't hit the power lines. I invite you to take the drive and snap photos here to show the contrast, especially in January.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 02:26 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,804,016 times
Choo choo...next stop Arboretum, lets help the OP with their questions. Maybe start a thread on Houston Greenery?

Old 09-22-2009, 03:33 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,434,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Choo choo...next stop Arboretum, lets help the OP with their questions. Maybe start a thread on Houston Greenery?
This topic is a good lesson - better not to mix specific relocation questions with a generalized "Best of/worst of" thread that is going to go in every direction but straight ahead and will get focused on something completely different from what was intended.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:46 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,079,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
Those are mostly concrete, TX highway beautification program trees and/or on private land. And they're probably the weak oak tree variant, their leaves are not even 'collectible' LOL. I don't think people are just looking for trees that are green and makes oxygen. Normally people are refering to the backwoods and natural forest but since Houston is so flat and dry(this is the real issue) then every inch can be developed for housing and malls, unlike in other areas where there are hills, rivers and protected forests, the trees/trails/rock look like they've been there before for a very long time.
Here developers even build around smelly bayous. What's up with that?
Haha you must be new to Houston since you think it is dry, in fact you must have moved here pretty recently since this year Houston was in an abnormal drought. Houston is in a humid subtropical climate so most of the time it gets adequote rain fall.

Normally people are referring to backwoods and natural forest? I don't think that's the case but maybe you should become more familiar with the parks around the Houston area, both city and state, before jumping to conclusions.

Smelly bayous? That's a new one. Also the city builds linear greenspace and parks along bayous as well, did you know that?

Old 09-23-2009, 06:18 AM

9,352 posts, read 19,957,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
Those are mostly concrete, TX highway beautification program trees and/or on private land. And they're probably the weak oak tree variant, their leaves are not even 'collectible' LOL. I don't think people are just looking for trees that are green and makes oxygen. Normally people are refering to the backwoods and natural forest but since Houston is so flat and dry(this is the real issue) then every inch can be developed for housing and malls, unlike in other areas where there are hills, rivers and protected forests, the trees/trails/rock look like they've been there before for a very long time.
Here developers even build around smelly bayous. What's up with that?

houston is DRY?? since when??

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Hopefully you will notice that I specifically stated that Houston is the greenest, most lush city in the STATE OF TEXAS. I said that for a reason. I have been to Georgia, NC, Alabama, TN, etc. Although I actually dont find Houston's treeline to be too much shorter than that of Georgia's TN's or Mississippi's..Alabama has larger and more trees than anywhere in TX and larger than trees in Mississippi.. But non of those places even begins to compare with the abundance AND size of trees in Raleigh/Durham, NC which would actually make Houston look like a desert. (hyperbole) Non the less, I hope I have clarified that I am speaking of Houston's greenery ONLY in relativity to the rest of the state of Texas.

Per Kudzu? I can only show you its range and picture for you to reference. In my experience, Kudzu in Southeast TX approaches nowhere NEAR the abundance that it does in places like Virginia, GA or Florida. But it certainly exists in Southeast TX according to ecologists/botanists.

http://www.forestryimages.org/images...48/0016256.jpg
kudzu is getting pretty thick around here too.........

Old 09-23-2009, 05:32 PM

60 posts, read 131,630 times
How many would venture to say that Houston has more dry days than rainy/cloudy? Just curious...I'm an outsider who's looking to relocate and one reason we chose Houston (Texas in general) is for the dry weather. Am I not chosing correctly? I know that there is about 6-7 months of decent weather (not hot/humid) during winter...but do you have a lot of rain as apposed to clear dry days???

Old 09-23-2009, 05:39 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,954,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaitimthinking View Post
How many would venture to say that Houston has more dry days than rainy/cloudy? Just curious...I'm an outsider who's looking to relocate and one reason we chose Houston (Texas in general) is for the dry weather. Am I not chosing correctly? I know that there is about 6-7 months of decent weather (not hot/humid) during winter...but do you have a lot of rain as apposed to clear dry days???

I can only speak from personal experience...when I first moved to Houston a few years back, I remember telling my friends and family members that it seemed as though it constantly poured [not just rain, but it "poured"] in Houston....but of course I moved to Houston in the month of March...

and after I had been living in Houston for a few months, I then shifted from whining about the saturating rain, to whining about the oppressive humidity.

And then there was the 3 days I had without electricity or water in the wake of the Hurricane last year. Fortunately my electricity was restored relatively quickly in comparison to other parts of the city.

But that has been my experience with Houston whether.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:42 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,127,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaitimthinking View Post
Houston is hardly a dry climate, by any sense of the word! Where do people get this from? Is it because it's in Texas? I had a very difficult time convincing my friend that Houston is more like Southeast/South than Southwest. And I quote "it must have been nice and dry..." NO!!!!

Old 09-23-2009, 06:05 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,434,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Houston is hardly a dry climate, by any sense of the word! Where do people get this from?
Well, you have the whole Texas = desert/prairie image, but there are also people who just arrived here recently who thought that the drought we had in June is a typical occurrence. Really, it was a "drought" by local standards only. Later in the summer we started catching up on rain.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:56 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,879,071 times
Southeast Texas along the Gulf Coast gets more inches of rainfall annually than any other parts of the state. I can't even count the number of times events held outdoors I've wanted to go to in Houston got rained out or ended up a muddy mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston