Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 10:10 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,777,212 times

Advertisements

You'd have to drive to the Fannin South Park & Ride first, but can then take the rail line into the Medical Center. It has three stops in there; for example, the first would be for M. D. Anderson, the second for Baylor, and the third for Memorial Hermann employees. That's what I used the whole time I worked in there. Parking in the Medical Center is very expensive, if you can even find parking. The rail was a life-saver for me.

Park and Ride Locations
Fannin South Park and Ride
http://www.ridemetro.org/SchedulesMa...00-redline.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 04:15 PM

254 posts, read 461,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 215GUY View Post
My wife may take a job at the medical center we never been to Houston.If she take the job how is the public transit?
215Guy - My wife and I just moved to Houston (got here 3 days ago) after spending 8 years in Philly. I will let you know right now, METRO is a FAR CRY from SEPTA. Busses galore and one train that is basically subject to the laws of traffic (like the west Philly and Girard Ave trolleys).

Traffic is also terrible if you are coming from the suburbs. Philly traffic coming from 95 north backs up about 2 miles from Girard, putting you about 4 miles from the Central Phila exit. Houston traffic coming from 45 north begins at your neighborhood putting you 25 miles from the business district! Not really, but I would say you probably sit in traffic for twice as long as you would in Philly.

Having said that, Houston is a FANTASTIC city and there is much to do. When you factor out the traffic and the public transportation situation, I give it 2 thumbs up.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:12 PM

10 posts, read 22,614 times
I live near the Reliant Stadium. You can stay anywhere in this area and walk upto the nearest Metro station. Frequency of buses are also ok. But if you go out far from downtown, you will need a car definitely. Connectivity to Medical Center from most parts of the inner loop and even the outer loop is fine.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:07 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,072,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 215GUY View Post
My wife may take a job at the medical center we never been to Houston.If she take the job how is the public transit?
It really depends on where you live. Honestly, if you don't have kids it would be wise to rent for a year to get a feel for the area. The bus service around the area is pretty good and rent isn't too high.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:25 AM

15,218 posts, read 30,401,995 times
The Med Center area isn't a bad spot to get your feet set in Houston, having done it for myself. You can rent an inexpensive apartment or condo, not be far from work if you're at TMC or even downtown where you can use METRO and get around paying for parking. When people said nobody would ride the rail, they underestimated how expensive parking has become downtown and at TMC, and the car culture revolves in large part on the premise that parking is plentiful and inexpensive if not free. I use the 14 Hiram Clarke bus and see people in scrubs or lab coats getting off the buses and tram at the TMC transit center, obviously who work there.

METRORail is basically a streetcar line with higher capacity. There are four more lines coming. It shares a lane with traffic on Fannin Street at the Med Center and has to stop at lights, but this is less a problem once you get north of TMC and Hermann Park. From there it's going through streets that were laid out for streetcars in the first place, and the rail has priority at the lights. It's not perfect, but it's a start.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:29 PM

141 posts, read 477,944 times
Thanks,

Old 09-29-2009, 12:43 AM

6 posts, read 33,154 times
All of the questions posted depend on what side/area of the city you are planning to live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: