Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 11:36 AM

940 posts, read 1,901,556 times

Advertisements

I think this Houston story will change as the city further establishes an international rep. I had a couple from NYC stay with me for 2 weeks and I live in Timbergrove. They were heavily exposed to many of the inner loop treasures we have plus the west loop stuff like the Starbucks at Uptown Park, water wall, Galleria. We even went swimming in one of the water holes (reserved for residents) in a Memorial neighborhood that will remain unidentified. These foks were impressed with the beauty of much of what they saw. I offered the caveat that I had shown them parts of the city where money had made some beautiful buildings, residences, landscaping, etc. and that there were some not so beautiful regions covering wide areas, in case they were to consider moving here. But the thing is, those not-so-beautiful neighborhoods are over time being made into interesting and sometimes beautiful ones. There have been boucou trees planted and many of the neighborhoods and arteries are benefiting from the quick maturation of those trees (new and old) thanks to the extensive sunlight and elevated CO2 available e.g. the trees in Southhampton are attaining wow status. Plus I have a fascination with the high rise portfolio here which excites me like a lot of people. As the city further prospers and expands, the world will have to wake up to what we have here, no question about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 12:57 PM

848 posts, read 2,126,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I hope you dropped the mic and walked away after that epic post.

Did you take all of those photos?
Yes except two which my wife took...and she is the expert photog...

Old 04-15-2015, 01:54 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,819,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
We even went swimming in one of the water holes (reserved for residents) in a Memorial neighborhood that will remain unidentified.
What? Can you at least give us a hint as to where?

Old 10-07-2016, 07:30 PM

15 posts, read 14,990 times
Houston isn't ugly, it's just the least attractive.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:38 PM

44 posts, read 44,502 times
Houston's 'ugliness' is all hype; the natural landscape isn't much different than what you have in the Southern US coastal plain, and the urbanists just hate Sun-Belt style sprawl.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:38 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Agreed. Maybe ten years ago the detractors had a case but Houston has grown into a pretty nice city. It's not super attractive but it's still nice IMO. I've heard people that have recently visited consider it a nice looking city, but that is mostly because everything is all new and shiny.

You have to realize that people look at Houston like they do Dubai. They think of places such as Rome to be beautiful and places such as Dubai to be too cookie cutter, too manufactured. It's the same when they discuss Houston vs NYC, LA, SF. The latter may be new, shiny and actually cleaner but it's still seen as vulgar because it's too soulless compared to historical NYC. It's really dumb urbanist chauvinism.

Old 10-08-2016, 03:29 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Agreed. Maybe ten years ago the detractors had a case but Houston has grown into a pretty nice city. It's not super attractive but it's still nice IMO. I've heard people that have recently visited consider it a nice looking city, but that is mostly because everything is all new and shiny.

You have to realize that people look at Houston like they do Dubai. They think of places such as Rome to be beautiful and places such as Dubai to be too cookie cutter, too manufactured. It's the same when they discuss Houston vs NYC, LA, SF. The latter may be new, shiny and actually cleaner but it's still seen as vulgar because it's too soulless compared to historical NYC. It's really dumb urbanist chauvinism.
I have to agree, to a point. Because in 100-200 years the new buildings in cities like Houston will be historical and beautiful to people in those times.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:31 PM

9,847 posts, read 6,566,773 times
What I don't understand is why OP is saying Chicago isn't classified as ugly. Chicago is praised for its great skyline but then again, so is Houston. Chicago is known to be ugly in the streets. Definitely more so than Houston.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:10 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I have to agree, to a point. Because in 100-200 years the new buildings in cities like Houston will be historical and beautiful to people in those times.
I'll have to disagree with this particular point. The old buildings in these other cities have more architectural details.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:37 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Gorgeous sunny day. TV's on and the city's magnificent skyline shines in front of spectacular parks, open seas of blue and millions watch in person (and on air) in vibrant, inviting neighborhoods on the North Side and, yes, South and West sides, as well. Now.......Please remind me again how ugly Chicago is.

Hey, Houston, I get it: clearly from all I read just about anywhere, Houston doesn't think too much of us. And that's cool, I'm fine with it. 'Cause there is a city that does love us: Chicago....and that's what really matters. Yep, we're pretty crazy about our town, we being the ultimate homers. And we're pretty damned secure in what we have.

So feel free to pass us up in population; it won't change a thing about how we see ourselves. Chicago has about as much concern about being the fourth largest city in the US as San Francisco does being the fourth largest city in California (not to mention the second largest city in its own Bay Area). that's because San Francisco, when all is said and done, is still San Francisco. Just like Chicago, when all is said and done, is still Chicago, a city that despite its problems (yes, they very much exist), remains a dynamic, forward facing, a great place to be.

Believe it or not, we're not in competition with you. we recognize the rise of Houston and fully understand you're a great city; not a thing I said takes anything away from what you are. We wish you well. And are perfectly happy to not be you. Or NY. Or SF, LA, DC, Boston, etc. We're just happy being Chicago. And on this magnificent marathon morning with that great skyline, wonderful neighborhoods, parks, lake and the Cubs riding high, life is damned good. So why wouldn't we feel that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston