Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 04:14 PM

851 posts, read 3,625,620 times

Advertisements

This drives me nuts. When I called in for electricity service, Gexa wants SSN to check my credit. I said no, and I would like to pay $400 deposit. Then they still want my SSN or Driver's License # and birthday for "security and identification purpose."

Well, this is electricity service. If I paid deposit, why would they still care who I am? I asked them why they needed my SSN/DL and what they intended to use them for, they gave me this "security and identification purpose." answer. We were going back and forth on this for a few times and I gave up.

It gets even worse if I want to set up an online account with City Water. They want SSN too!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 04:38 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,082,871 times
yeah things are nuts these days, i get calls all the time at my company of people asking to speak to me directly, i always play like i am not me until i know who they are. when you ask "who may i say is calling" i get "bob" (or what ever), "and who are you with bob", "that is a private mater", "well i cant put you through until i know who you are with", bob "well it is a private mater", me well icant let you through until i know who you are with", bob "we will try back later", me "i will not let you through later unless i know who you are with". bob click...

sales people are NUTS, and i know it is someone who just got my name off some contacts list because they ask for my under my 1st name and i do not EVER use my 1st name for anything.

the best one, i get calls from guys who say "ALFREDO!!" (my partners name), me "um no", them, "is alfredo around", me "no he lives in another country", them "NO HE DOESNT, i just met with him last week", me "really? how did you do that, he lives about 2000 miles away IN ANOTHER COUNTRY", them "bullsh** i just met with him", me "dont cuss at me", them "f**k you" click
thats about once every week or two.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:06 PM

958 posts, read 2,572,994 times
Yeah I do agree the use of the SSN number was never intended to be used on so many transactions.

But look on the bright side. At least you don't need an ID to vote =p

Old 09-28-2009, 05:14 PM

I just too stupid to understand all these.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:18 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
This drives me nuts. When I called in for electricity service, Gexa wants SSN to check my credit. I said no, and I would like to pay $400 deposit. Then they still want my SSN or Driver's License # and birthday for "security and identification purpose."

Well, this is electricity service. If I paid deposit, why would they still care who I am? I asked them why they needed my SSN/DL and what they intended to use them for, they gave me this "security and identification purpose." answer. We were going back and forth on this for a few times and I gave up.

It gets even worse if I want to set up an online account with City Water. They want SSN too!!!
Hell yeah, they do care! They just can not demand a 1000 Dollars or more deposit, because electricity is a "basic need" service. It does not mean you will not go over 400 Dollars. You could easily run up 2000 Dollars and just don't pay it. There are people like this who do that.
Btw, did you know you wouldn't qualify for "no deposit down"? I had to put down a deposit once and it took me 1 month to get my money back. They sent it to the wrong address, then had to wait XX days before they could issue a new check etc. I think it was even close to 2 months. You don't want that to happen.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Hell yeah, they do care! They just can not demand a 1000 Dollars or more deposit, because electricity is a "basic need" service. It does not mean you will not go over 400 Dollars. You could easily run up 2000 Dollars and just don't pay it. There are people like this who do that.
Btw, did you know you wouldn't qualify for "no deposit down"? I had to put down a deposit once and it took me 1 month to get my money back. They sent it to the wrong address, then had to wait XX days before they could issue a new check etc. I think it was even close to 2 months. You don't want that to happen.

They can simply credit the deposit back towards your next payment.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:24 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
They can simply credit the deposit back towards your next payment.

Well, they wouldn't do it. Mine is usually around 55-60 a month and it was a 500 $ deposit. I didn't want them to make interests off my money. That's why I would have demanded it back, anyway.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:44 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
I've pretty much refused the whole SSN the past 5 years. I will give the TX DL, but that's it. It really hasn't affected anything by standing my ground on the issue. Just go straight to the manager, pitch a fit, you win and your number is semi-safe.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:44 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,058,429 times
If they want your SSN, you should probably insist they give you their EIN for 'security and identification purposes.'

Old 09-28-2009, 07:10 PM

627 posts, read 1,621,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
yeah things are nuts these days, i get calls all the time at my company of people asking to speak to me directly, i always play like i am not me until i know who they are. when you ask "who may i say is calling" i get "bob" (or what ever), "and who are you with bob", "that is a private mater", "well i cant put you through until i know who you are with", bob "well it is a private mater", me well icant let you through until i know who you are with", bob "we will try back later", me "i will not let you through later unless i know who you are with". bob click...

sales people are NUTS, and i know it is someone who just got my name off some contacts list because they ask for my under my 1st name and i do not EVER use my 1st name for anything.

the best one, i get calls from guys who say "ALFREDO!!" (my partners name), me "um no", them, "is alfredo around", me "no he lives in another country", them "NO HE DOESNT, i just met with him last week", me "really? how did you do that, he lives about 2000 miles away IN ANOTHER COUNTRY", them "bullsh** i just met with him", me "dont cuss at me", them "f**k you" click
thats about once every week or two.

I have so many comments on this, but the mods are on my tail, so, I'll pass.

lol at "ALFREDO" and then "bullsh**" then "f**k you"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston