U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 08:07 AM

53 posts, read 108,969 times
Default Taylor Morrison upgrade price shock!

What do other buyers do when presented with the 30% above highest retail price, that Taylor Morrison (and probably other tract home builders) quote?

We want an induction cooktop. The highest retail price we've found is $2,100. Taylor Morrison is charging us that amount to put one in. We inquired about crediting us the price of the electric cooktop that comes with the house, and were told that they charge 30% over retail on ALL upgrades. (The electric cooktop that comes with the house is approx $500).

Some items have to be installed at the initial build but other items ie; light fixtures, faucets toilets etc can be upgraded later, which is what we plan to do.

We also plan to have them install their carpeting and after closing have wood floors put in. The wood floors we picked at their showroom came to $23,000 for 1,300 sq ft. We found the same wood at Lowes for $5.00 and online at $4.17 sq ft, so even with additional $3.00 sqft for installation, the price comes to approx $10,000. With underlayment and glue it's still more like 50% markup on upgrades!

What is everyone doing with the items you take out? Do you sell, donate?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 08:32 AM
cla

875 posts, read 1,899,184 times
You can donate to Habitat for Humanity...

External Link -- Habitat for Humanity, Int'l

Old 09-30-2009, 08:44 AM

2,720 posts, read 4,675,546 times
You can always ask what they'll give you as a credit to not take the stove in the first place.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:56 AM

5,580 posts, read 3,795,845 times
30% over retail is actually on the low end for a home builder, you are doing it right by waiting and doing it yourself after the fact.

some of the material can be donated, some i would just sell. carpet and things i would expect to be a hard thing to sell, and the flooring people will more then likely just haul it off unless you tell them not to. as for appliances, there are places that you can sell/donate but i would not expect to get much for them at all. a company named dupar does almost all the builders in town, home depot and lowes appliance installs/deliveries. they tend to take the old stuff after installing the new stuff, then they turn around and sell your old stuff and near new prices if it is any good or they just throw it away if it is not so good.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:47 AM

1,042 posts, read 1,906,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
You can always ask what they'll give you as a credit to not take the stove in the first place.
Not sure you can do that. I think there is something that says they can not close unless the stove and dish washer are in. I could be wrong but I know that is the way it was with our home. The cooktop had not been installed yet and it had to be for us to close.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:40 PM

7,131 posts, read 7,436,501 times
I have had clients upgrade on their own later and put the removed items on Craig's List. At least you will get something for them and the money could go toward your upgrades. It is cheaper to do it this way. Also, go to Lumber Liquidator on 290, rather than Lowe's or Home Depot - you will save a ton of money on wood floors. Yes, the stove has to be there on move-in, especially for a FHA loan. Do you need the form for the $8000 tax credit? That money will also help on your upgrades.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:22 PM

898 posts, read 1,346,298 times
Geez Rugby, you sound like a nightmare customer. Examining the psi in the slab...complaining about markup. Ughhh.

As far as the markup, the builder has to install it and warranty it. If anything goes wrong, you can call the builder directly and they will come to your home and fix it. This costs money. The builder has to make money in order to stay in business, so that they can warranty your home.

As far as nitpicking everything about the building process...Taylor Woodrow, and Morrison homes have been building for a long time. Your slab is warrantied for 10 years. It is in their best interest to provide you a quality home. First, so they don't have to deal with you much after you close, and second because a good builder uses referrals to build their business. They don't want to burn you.

Can I guess here? I may be wrong, but are you an engineer?

Old 10-05-2009, 05:14 PM

56 posts, read 268,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
As far as the markup, the builder has to install it and warranty it. If anything goes wrong, you can call the builder directly and they will come to your home and fix it. This costs money. The builder has to make money in order to stay in business, so that they can warranty your home.
As far as TaylorMorrison's home warranty goes, gotta give three thumbs up to these guys! Been in our house for a year, and had some warranty issues which were all resolved quickly and efficiently even in tough times like these. I hear horror stories on other builders which are lagging in paying their subs, who then in turn aren't so keen on fixing warranty work. I'm no engineer, but I feel we got a quality product.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:19 PM

3,545 posts, read 7,101,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
Geez Rugby, you sound like a nightmare customer. Examining the psi in the slab...complaining about markup. Ughhh.

As far as nitpicking everything about the building process...Taylor Woodrow, and Morrison homes have been building for a long time. Your slab is warrantied for 10 years. It is in their best interest to provide you a quality home. First, so they don't have to deal with you much after you close, and second because a good builder uses referrals to build their business. They don't want to burn you.

Can I guess here? I may be wrong, but are you an engineer?
Seriously?

You better nitpick because most of these guys will cut your throat for a dollar. More buyers should be informed about things like the psi in the slab. Since when do you drop a couple hundred grand for something and not even bother to know the first thing about it.

"It is in their best interest to provide you a quality home". Gimme a break. How many thousands of home buyers have gotten screwed by various companies with shoddy houses that fall apart, with broken foundations, full of mold etc...

Old 10-05-2009, 07:25 PM

7,131 posts, read 7,436,501 times
Plenty - you are correct!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston