U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 12:58 PM

530 posts, read 1,374,290 times

Advertisements

ADT is pretty anal (and for good reason I think) about sellers selling their stickers and signs and will shut down eBay sellers if they are caught doing it.

You can, however, get many generic alarm signs & stickers online for MUCH cheaper than what the ADT ones go for. For myself, I have an alarm system, but it is not monitored by ADT. I have an online monitoring company that works just as well as ADT and on top of that, they TEXT message me anytime someone enters or exits the house. Better than ADT.

In any case, not having an ADT sign doesn't mean that you don't have a great monitored alarm system! I think you'd probably do better with installing your own for a couple hundred bucks and then putting in motion camera that uploads video to your computer and/or a website for retrieval. Then you have a face for the person at the door
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 01:17 PM

10,561 posts, read 8,935,196 times
Good points, zero. I read that you can sell ADT sticker/signs on eBay but you have to cover up the "ADT" wording in your photos if you dont want your auctions subject to being shut down.

I agree that ADT may not be the best system, but it's certainly one of the most (if not the most) recognizable security system names in Houston. Even if I had a generic system, I'd probably buy some ADT signs/stickers rather than use generic signs/stickers.

And the cameras are a great idea -- but, to be honest, I dont know how much good it would do to have a photo of the burglar (or wanna-be-burglar). I live a few blocks from an apartment complex in which many Katrina "victims" now live and I'm pretty sure that 90% of the burglaries in my area come from there. A photo of one of those guys would probably look like any one of 50 other guys living in that complex. I did buy three fake security cameras (one for each entrance); I just havent had them put up yet because I'm trying to find someone trustworthy to install them for me.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:05 PM

851 posts, read 2,038,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You do know that the average thief ignores those stupid signs dont you?

There was a documentary on some time ago and the guy in his prison cell being interviewed said he targeted homes with security signs. He feels those who have a good system do not want to advertise it and those who don't have a security system are not wise enough to burglar proof their homes properly.

Point taken but if he comes by, he would be in a big surprise.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:25 PM

6,608 posts, read 9,765,552 times
well you can usually tell the fake ones because they have some weird company name that is unrecognizeable to anyone..

Old 10-08-2009, 12:53 PM

218 posts, read 520,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I just sent you a message, as well.
I also want to buy, anyone has more signs, the one on front yard. Please PM me

Old 10-08-2009, 01:32 PM

21,589 posts, read 23,714,857 times
I agree with texas7: fake cameras look VERY FAKE. I have few in my garage - they look great on the web page, but not in reality.
Signs are good, but try to get a good quality. The cheap ones will crack or peel after exposed to sun/heat for few weeks.
I think that still the best is CCTV visual surveillance remote home monitoring system. And a loud siren ! Nothing scares the thieves more than a loud siren.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:19 PM

851 posts, read 2,038,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
I also want to buy, anyone has more signs, the one on front yard. Please PM me
Get in line please. I still need window stickers. :-)

Old 10-08-2009, 06:51 PM

10,561 posts, read 8,935,196 times
For $10 (free shipping) you can buy 10 ADT stickers. I gave you the eBay link in a previous post. I've bought them off eBay for my daughter and they're the real deal.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:30 AM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
845 posts, read 980,877 times
Arrow ADT Free

Just by being a customer of ADT, you should be able to call. They should sent the stickers/decals and yard signs to you for free. I requested this from them a couple of years ago, and they sent it within 7-10 days.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:23 AM

734 posts, read 1,061,067 times
I would like a sign, not a small sticker. I have looked on Ebay, but they look fake. Any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston