U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 09:31 PM

9,608 posts, read 8,940,402 times
Default This bothers me

This may not even be a "Houston" topic per se, but it is occurring in Houston. As many of you know, I am a teacher looking for a job who currently works as a general handyman for many of the retailers. I was at a Victoria's Secret (we get a lot of work from them) when I started to talk to some of the girls. My pay is pretty lousy, but not the worst. They were telling me that Victoria's Secret starts out at 7.25. Also, I was told this is common at most of the high end retailers around Houston. Am I the only one bothered by the fact that a high end retailer such as Victoria's Secret pays their employees minimum wage? For what they charge for their clothing, it almost seems criminal to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 09:32 PM

11,206 posts, read 16,541,954 times
One for you, 19 for me...

Old 10-11-2009, 09:33 PM

Damned rep rules. Sorry, this is the best I can do

Old 10-11-2009, 10:07 PM
hsw

2,066 posts, read 4,074,428 times
Maybe, maybe not

Realize that retail (even high-end) is a crappy business in terms of profit margins (vs industries like energy or tech or finance or pharma/med tech/biotech)

Reality of retail (or tourism/entertainment) is most workers are low-quality/low-skill (and deserve low wages), but a rare few show amazing talent for customer service and/or creativity and move up rapidly from a min wage entry job to better jobs or start own businesses (let's not forget that the Walton family (WalMart founder's heirs) is collectively wealthier than Gates of Microsoft and/or Warren Buffett, perhaps put together)

Advantage of low entry wages is employers can efficiently filter competent employees; employees who are competent gain valuable entry-level expce and move on quickly to bigger, better things; those who aren't competent or ambitious will work for deminimus wages until they can find a cushy government job where they are paid a lot more for little work and can't be fired easily, no matter economy or incompetence...communism is great for the lazy and/or stupid

Old 10-11-2009, 10:16 PM

13,496 posts, read 24,166,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Maybe, maybe not

Realize that retail (even high-end) is a crappy business in terms of profit margins (vs industries like energy or tech or finance or pharma/med tech/biotech)

Reality of retail (or tourism/entertainment) is most workers are low-quality/low-skill (and deserve low wages), but a rare few show amazing talent for customer service and/or creativity and move up rapidly from a min wage entry job to better jobs or start own businesses (let's not forget that the Walton family (WalMart founder's heirs) is collectively wealthier than Gates of Microsoft and/or Warren Buffett, perhaps put together)

Advantage of low entry wages is employers can efficiently filter competent employees; employees who are competent gain valuable entry-level expce and move on quickly to bigger, better things; those who aren't competent or ambitious will work for deminimus wages until they can find a cushy government job where they are paid a lot more for little work and can't be fired easily, no matter economy or incompetence...communism is great for the lazy and/or stupid
HUH? But what do the lazy, stupid people survive on while they're waiting for that cushy, govt. job?

Old 10-11-2009, 10:19 PM

2,785 posts, read 3,962,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
This may not even be a "Houston" topic per se, but it is occurring in Houston. As many of you know, I am a teacher looking for a job who currently works as a general handyman for many of the retailers. I was at a Victoria's Secret (we get a lot of work from them) when I started to talk to some of the girls. My pay is pretty lousy, but not the worst. They were telling me that Victoria's Secret starts out at 7.25. Also, I was told this is common at most of the high end retailers around Houston. Am I the only one bothered by the fact that a high end retailer such as Victoria's Secret pays their employees minimum wage? For what they charge for their clothing, it almost seems criminal to me.
Unless the employees have a gun to their head and are being forced to work there, what's the problem?

Old 10-11-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Maybe, maybe not

I understand retail has lower profit margins. But what I don't understand is how Victoria's Secret, which has 1 billion dollars a year in revenue can't afford to pay their employees at least 8 or 9 dollars an hour. I mean I understand that Victoria's Secret would only make a measly 990,000,000 in revenue if they did this, but still. This is a high end store. A true high end store would pay better than minimum wage.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:32 PM

3,567 posts, read 1,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I understand retail has lower profit margins. But what I don't understand is how Victoria's Secret, which has 1 billion dollars a year in revenue can't afford to pay their employees at least 8 or 9 dollars an hour. I mean I understand that Victoria's Secret would only make a measly 990,000,000 in revenue if they did this, but still. This is a high end store. A true high end store would pay better than minimum wage.
What's there not to understand? Got one word for you - GREEDY!

Old 10-11-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
What's there not to understand? Got one word for you - GREEDY!
Sad, but true.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:38 PM

15,135 posts, read 14,172,004 times
Being a high end retailer has its perks. Brand name attracts 'better' employees than the discount shops. Lots of people want to say they work at VS...It sure beats Taco Bell (Who I patronize). Part of their allure is image and those employees who's image model the company profile get more $ faster. An unfortunate lesson I learned...if your in a company that sells image/clothing/lifestyle, you need to be pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston