Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:06 PM

5 posts, read 30,281 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to Houston in late dec/early january. We are a family of 3 and looking for "safe" places to live. For the last 7 years we have been living in a small college town in central pa, so we are still at little naive about big city living. That said, we both want to live close to work (at TMC/Texas HSC) (where we can probably walk or use public transport).

Any thoughts about the Amalfi at Hermann Park? Safety issues (I realize this is a general question without objective answers, but would you consider it safe)? Has anybody on the forum lived there? I couldnt find any reviews for this place online. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 12:08 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_psu View Post
My wife and I are moving to Houston in late dec/early january. We are a family of 3 and looking for "safe" places to live. For the last 7 years we have been living in a small college town in central pa, so we are still at little naive about big city living. That said, we both want to live close to work (at TMC/Texas HSC) (where we can probably walk or use public transport).

Any thoughts about the Amalfi at Hermann Park? Safety issues (I realize this is a general question without objective answers, but would you consider it safe)? Has anybody on the forum lived there? I couldnt find any reviews for this place online. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
No finer area to live in H-Town. Located near all the cool stuff. Herman park, Rice Univerity, the City Zoo. And most of the better Museums. Mostly crime free, and well maintained. Good food, and good shopping. I would love to live there, but am just a tad short of cash it seems. Nothin new there.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:38 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,210,718 times
Depending on what ammenities you would like, you might be better served by just driving around the area off of Bissonette/Richmond and look around. There are alot of very nice small complexes (2-20 units) in the area that just do not advertise other than to put a sign out in the front yard when there is an opening or use word-of-mouth.
Definitely try to stay west of the park.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Definitely try to stay west of the park.
Thanks for that pointer. We looked at an apartment at 3 Hermann Museum Circle drive (archstone apartments). It seems to be almost North East of Hermann Park (based on what I saw on Google Maps). Would that be a no-no? What areas would be not advisable to live?

Old 10-14-2009, 09:18 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,229,111 times
Our son lives in the Amalfi. He loves that area. Close to everything. He has no safety concerns.

Good luck!

Old 10-14-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Our son lives in the Amalfi. He loves that area. Close to everything. He has no safety concerns.
Thanks, that's good to hear. We are trying to finalize/decide on Amalfi. Thanks for all the responses.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:06 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,730 times
Almeda road has changed a lot over the past few years. I don't live there, so I don't have particular experience with safety, but I would think those apartments are okay, too. So don't take the "live west of the park" advice too strictly. Almeda would be a safe boundary to the east.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:09 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,210,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_psu View Post
Thanks for that pointer. We looked at an apartment at 3 Hermann Museum Circle drive (archstone apartments). It seems to be almost North East of Hermann Park (based on what I saw on Google Maps). Would that be a no-no? What areas would be not advisable to live?
That would be ok. Try to stay in the newly gentrified areas west of 288 (except right around the dome) and the more established areas west of the park itself.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:58 PM

17 posts, read 37,880 times
I live next to the Amalfi. There are some cheaper apartments and homes from Ewing and Binz north to downtown, with dirt poor residents. Pretty much a quiet neighborhood, though, with people jogging and walking dogs even after dark. In the day, I feel safe walking my daughter across the street south to the park or west down Hermann Drive. If I'm going through the hoods to the north, I drive.

There were some problems with car breakins in our garage, but no violent crime that I know of. And the management just hired night security, which I'm betting is in place in the Amalfi, too (same management, I think). The Amalfi is actually buffered somewhat by The Esplanade from Ewing and Binz, so they may not have those kinds of problems.

Long story short, I would feel as safe in the Amalfi as I would anywhere else in Houston.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:05 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,053,018 times
It's a great area, but you are so close to East 288..

It's nice nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston