Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 07:49 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,460,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensk08 View Post
Okay, there's a place for a joke like this and it's not in this thread. The O.P. is visiting the United States for the first time and is asking a question that deserves an honest and practical answer.

From personal experience, I know what it's like to arrive in a foreign country with 80% of the stuff in my luggage totally inappropriate for the weather, lifestyle, etc.
that was a Honest answer. I have that exact thing on as we speak. And wear the same daily. As do most of my Neighbors. Lets hear what you suggest then, since you are the authority on what is Honest, and fashionable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 09:41 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Polo shirt and Khakis work well in most places.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:43 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Polo shirt and Khakis work well in most places.
LOL...unless your a female

Old 10-20-2009, 12:38 PM

860 posts, read 1,584,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
that was a Honest answer. I have that exact thing on as we speak. And wear the same daily. As do most of my Neighbors. Lets hear what you suggest then, since you are the authority on what is Honest, and fashionable.
Until recently I worked in one of Houston's better department stores. Our customers came from many countries, all walks of life and were all ages. The O.P. did not state her age but she is visiting a world-class city and is a first-time visitor to the U.S. Obviously, she wants to look good, feel comfortable and have a wonderful time here. The clothes I am suggesting are simple and are worn in most countries of the world, even under burqas.

Limiting the colors of clothes she brings to a couple of basics such as black, gray, navy, beige, will allow her to pack light and mix-and-match separate pieces. Medium and lightweight knit fabrics are great. She can add color and variety with lightweight tops and accessories like scarves, costume jewelry, etc.

Dressing in layers works best during most seasons here. For everyday casual wear, jeans or casual slacks or skirt, lightweight top, and possibly a light sweater or jacket are good. For dinner at a fine restaurant, the theater and most social occasions: dressy slacks or skirt, dressy blouse, jacket. Athletic shoes or walking shoes, casual flats and dressy flats or heels - Houston isn't known as a "walkable" city but comfortable shoes are a must!

If the O.P. will be here on business with a conservative firm or organization she will probably want to bring a skirt suit or pantsuit.

As mentioned in a previous post, a water-repellent coat can be worn over a sweater or lightweight jacket if the weather turns chilly for a few days. Carry the coat or wear it on the plane. No umbrella - buy a cheap one here if it's really needed. No hat, either.

The unbreakable rule: take ONE small carry-on bag and ONE suitcase ONLY, unless plans call for a bridal gown, debutante presentation or charity ball.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:22 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,460,692 times
good suggestions all, but it does not make my ideas wrong, just different from yours.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:13 AM

4 posts, read 26,679 times
thank you all for your comments and suggestions.... I really appreciate it a lot
i didnt expect that people here are so warm and accommodating

Old 02-23-2010, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,358 times
I am going to Houston Tx January 27th and will be there for a few weeks. I have no idea of what kind of weather to expect, so I am not sure what to pack. Can someone please give me an idea of what kind of weather to expect this time of year ?

Old 02-23-2010, 12:21 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeloan1956 View Post
I am going to Houston Tx January 27th and will be there for a few weeks. I have no idea of what kind of weather to expect, so I am not sure what to pack. Can someone please give me an idea of what kind of weather to expect this time of year ?
It can be warm or cold.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:24 PM

430 posts, read 1,256,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeloan1956 View Post
Did you mean February 27th?

Old 02-23-2010, 12:27 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Could be Parka and Uggs or slacks and a light sweater. Best to pack both. Even native Houstonians have no idea what to wear from one day to the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: