Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 02:06 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,292,356 times

Advertisements

This was a good description of the situation. Most of the places are African American and Hispanic areas of cities and it is been like this for 50 years so its very common. To say Houston's Southside is backward is completely rude and disrespectful. Its good to see development in that area but there are old pipelines, illegal dumps, and poor drainage all over; there needs to be reconstruction of the sewage and drainage all over the southside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Mack View Post

It's very similar to other poorer areas located on the urban fringe of southern cities, such as Pleasant Grove in Dallas, Bankhead in Atlanta and Edgewood in Jacksonville. Not all of it is poor, however. There is a significant amount of working-class/middle class subdivisions in the area. Unfortuantely, they're mixed in with areas that have not been developed much (if at all) and are subjected to the difficulties that those type of communities face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 05:08 PM

789 posts, read 1,520,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Not everyone wants to move forward.
BBBBBBBBBOOOOOO! Not everyone wants to move forward? Um, I know that area, and there are plenty of people that want to "move forward". I grew up in these hoods. It's not as bad as you would think. But, there are some bad parts. It does get worse once you get down in that area though. And the whole people on horses thing is pretty cool in my opinion. To actually see black people on horses was quite amazing to me(there were boys not much older). And some of those people actually take part in the rodeo, hence the horses, haha.

To the OP. Glad you felt adventurous. When I got older I took a ride through the more expensive neighborhoods in Houston, and I also felt like I was in a completely different city, lol.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Chickrae; 10-20-2009 at 01:44 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 10-19-2009, 05:11 PM

789 posts, read 1,520,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Shh. You're ruining the whole Southwest Houston -> rundown hellhole narrative.
Lol, to funny.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:00 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,708,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
there are old pipelines, illegal dumps, and poor drainage all over; there needs to be reconstruction of the sewage and drainage
That's 60% of Houston metro lol

Old 10-19-2009, 07:25 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,445,336 times
I have not visited that area in a long time. but sounds like a good investment area to me. Why drive 50 miles to the burbs, when one could develop here in near town. I lived in area like you describe as a child. No electric, or plumbing. Not in Houston Mind you. But those same areas have now been devoloped, and I don't even recognize them, Often recgnizing a diamond in the rough, gains the greatest dividends, over the long haul. They just don't make any more land, it seems.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:19 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,582,212 times
Horseback... hmm, some things never change. A few years ago I waved at a couple of brothers riding horseback in that general vicinity, IIRC on Cullen just south of 610. Not really seeing that whole area as much of an investment for awhile, but it could happen in several decades.

And actually, black cowboys are not uncommon at all in Deep East and Deep Southeast Texas. (towards the Neches and Sabine rivers) Shouldn't be a surprise to see a handful still around here.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:59 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,889,370 times
It's not uncommon to see people on horseback in the area -- actually anyplace in the area where it is a bit rural or where people live in neighborhoods with acreage -- I still see people riding horses in Pearland -- no not on 288/528 area but in older sections where they have the property and the barns.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:34 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,835,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
I had to drop some people off at hobby so I decided to take a newer scenic route. I went from my nice area off Kirby to Scott street on the other side of 288 and then down Scott to airport boulevard. Some areas I saw in the SW were stunning (in a bad way) to me...I had no idea that kind of poverty was in Houston. It didn't look like a city either I felt like it was Appalachia. Rural looking run down homes, really low density, and even some cows. In other cities the hoods always felt like still part of the city just more gritty and dangerous....this felt like I was in another state, or maybe rural Texas right after the Civil War. And the other rough areas I've been through in Houston (fifth and third wards, sharpstown) were still citylike and felt integrated into the city for the most part.

And I'm not making this up...I saw TWO people galloping on horseback!!!

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? How did that part of town and those people get so left behind? The people I was driving to Hobby were shocked too because they'd never been to Houston before and I'd kept them in the nice areas the whole trip before this incident.

lol. That's what I've been told as well. That's why you gotta fly your relatives or whoever to IAH

It's not just that area. I gotta agree with usc619.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:15 PM

734 posts, read 1,073,406 times
If I'm not mistaken every city has their ugly patches right?

I dont think Houston is too absurd in that sense.

But I havent visited that area of town much, perhaps a few pictures would help next time...

Old 10-20-2009, 11:26 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,835,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
If I'm not mistaken every city has their ugly patches right?

I dont think Houston is too absurd in that sense.

But I havent visited that area of town much, perhaps a few pictures would help next time...
45-S exit Park Place/Broadway or 610 Exit Texas 35. To name a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston