Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 04:51 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
I wish the FCCA would give me a citation, I would be on them like white on rice

If it isn't a traffic violation, what do they have against me?
I hope you aren't playing the race card. In your own words from post #14:

Quote:
I accept I'm in the wrong
You sound like you are a 16 year child with your railing against being "lectured." For an EE student you shouldn't be struggling with the concept that by driving aggressively through a residential neighborhood your actions are going to **** off people who are concerned for their safety. So when someone follows you home, it's not to play Daddy and give you a pedantic lecture, it's gonna be to deliver an ass-whuppign or worse because they feel you are threatening the safety of their families.

Bottom line? Just man up, grow up, take your lumps, stop driving like a jerk and move on. Or don't. Just don't cry to Mommy when that mean man (who might have a Glock) *follows* you home again.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:47 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
all i have to say about this subject.....

Quote:
Jack took a long look at his speedometer before
slowing down: 73 in a 55 zone. Fourth time in as
many months. How could a guy get caught so often?

When his car had slowed to 10 miles an hour, Jack
pulled over, but only partially. Let the cop worry
about the potential traffic hazard. Maybe some other
car will tweak his backside with a mirror. The cop
was stepping out of his car, the big pad in hand.
Bob? Bob from Church? Jack sunk farther into his
trench coat. This was worse than the coming ticket.
A cop catching a guy from his own church. A guy who
happened to be a little eager to get home after a
long day at the office. A guy he was about to play
golf with tomorrow.

Jumping out of the car, he approached a man he saw
every Sunday, a man he'd never seen in uniform.

"Hi, Bob. Fancy meeting you like this. "

"Hello, Jack. " No smile.

"Guess you caught me red-handed in a rush to see my
wife and kids. "

"Yeah, I guess. " Bob seemed uncertain. Good.

"I've seen some long days at the office lately. I'm
afraid I bent the rules a bit- just this once. " Jack
toed at a pebble on the pavement. "Diane said
something about roast beef and potatoes tonight.
Know what I mean? "

"I know what you mean. I also know that you have a
reputation in our precinct. " Ouch. This was not
going in the right direction. Time to change
tactics.

"What'd you clock me at? "

"Seventy. Would you sit back in your car please? "

"Now wait a minute here, Bob. I checked as soon as I
saw you. I was barely nudging 65. " The lie seemed to
come easier with every ticket.

"Please, Jack, in the car. "

Flustered, Jack hunched himself through the
still-open door. Slamming it shut, he stared at the
dashboard. He was in no rush to open the window. The
minutes ticked by. Bob scribbled away on the pad.
Why hadn't he asked for a driver's license?

Whatever the reason, it would be a month of Sundays
before Jack ever sat near this cop again. A tap on
the door jerked his head to the left. There was Bob,
a folded paper in hand. Jack rolled down the window
a mere two inches, just enough room for Bob to pass
him the slip.

"Thanks. " Jack could not quite keep the sneer out of
his voice.

Bob returned to his police car without a word. Jack
watched his retreat in the mirror. Jack unfolded the
sheet of paper. How much was this one going to cost?
Wait a minute. What was this? Some kind of joke?
Certainly not a ticket. Jack began to read:

"Dear Jack,

Once upon a time I had a daughter. She was six when
killed by a car. You guessed it -- a speeding
driver. A fine and three months in jail, and the man
was free. Free to hug his daughters. All three of
them. I only had one, and I'm going to have to wait
until Heaven before I can ever hug her again. A
thousand times I've tried to forgive that man. A
thousand times I thought I had. Maybe I did, but I
need to do it again. Even now. Pray for me. And be
careful, Jack, my son is all I have left. "

"Bob"

Jack turned around in time to see Bob's car pull
away and head down the road. Jack watched until it
disappeared. A full 15 minutes later, he too, pulled
away and drove slowly home, praying for forgiveness
and hugging a surprised wife and kids when he
arrived.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:48 AM

363 posts, read 1,146,342 times
Sorry, I know you want opinions on the lecture but as so many have said...it is just not worth it. Seriously, not worth it. An incident or accident can happen in a blink of an eye and you will have to live with the consequences of a negative one for the rest of your life. You have your entire life ahead of you...don't do something stupid that will derail you. Looks like you are a student...one would have to assume it is harder to get a degree from behind bars.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:07 AM

551 posts, read 1,574,280 times
You should not be passing people up in neighborhoods. Speed limits are 25 or 30 for a reason; children are playing. My husband and I watch people daily driving too fast in our neighborhood. We are always telling them to slow down. We will walk out and stop them in the street and get them to stop. Typically it is a teenage to young adult boys that are driving. Why is it so hard to just slow down? Would we follow someone home and lecture them? Probably if they did it enough times. I would probably choose to call the cops and give them the cars' lisence number instead as the female. I know my husband would confront somebody though. If you are in that much of a hurry, you need to relax;getting home 2 minutes faster isn't worth it. Soudns like you need constables patrolling your negihborhood. SLOW DOWN!

Old 10-21-2009, 09:10 AM

279 posts, read 724,748 times
All the aggressive drivers are probably the ones that complain loud and long about gas prices, too.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:01 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
If someone is cruising at 10 mph in a neighborhood, and the road is three car widths wide, like they are in my area...I might go around them at 25mph. I think I've only done it once or twicce in my lifetime. But usually yo can give them a little beep and they will pull over...10 mph is practically stopped anyway But if there are kids out, then I would wait a untill I got past that area.

If someone's going 30, I'm not going to blow around them....

Old 10-21-2009, 10:01 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
OK i wasnt speeding... they were just slow and I was overtaking them...

no double lines so I assumed it was legal...

It is not legal in a neighborhood.
Just be careful

Old 10-21-2009, 10:05 AM

6 posts, read 65,340 times
Zooming around town is one thing. Zooming around in a neighborhood is TOTALLY different. DON'T!!!

Old 10-21-2009, 10:17 AM

93 posts, read 283,510 times
Haha, so many people drive slow as hell in sugar land, you pretty much HAVE to do that. I'm surprised I haven't gotten a speeding ticket yet in SL, so many of the drivers **** me off, I get irritated pretty easily though, I mean if you're going 50 in the left lane on 59, GET THE **** TO THE RIGHT. Or if you're on sweetwater in the left lane going 30, you shouldn't be in the ****ing left lane. I live in avalon and I had the exact same thing happen to me; the speed limit is 30, a student driver was driving probably 5 mph so I just started driving in grandma mode(get as close to the steering wheel as possible and try to make your face almost touch your windshield) and swerved to the left and right, and eventually the car just stopped, I passed it, I guess the instructor told the kid to speed up and follow me, but that piece of **** car with a 15 year old driver isn't gonna catch me by any means, I got into my garage before they knew what the hell happened. Wouldn't that be some **** if I got a second DUI at 11:00 in the morning for swerving in a neighborhood, I should probably be a little smarter(I was coming home from class, sober).

Old 10-21-2009, 10:36 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,053,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictis View Post
Haha, so many people drive slow as hell in sugar land, you pretty much HAVE to do that. I'm surprised I haven't gotten a speeding ticket yet in SL, so many of the drivers **** me off, I get irritated pretty easily though, I mean if you're going 50 in the left lane on 59, GET THE **** TO THE RIGHT. Or if you're on sweetwater in the left lane going 30, you shouldn't be in the ****ing left lane. I live in avalon and I had the exact same thing happen to me; the speed limit is 30, a student driver was driving probably 5 mph so I just started driving in grandma mode(get as close to the steering wheel as possible and try to make your face almost touch your windshield) and swerved to the left and right, and eventually the car just stopped, I passed it, I guess the instructor told the kid to speed up and follow me, but that piece of **** car with a 15 year old driver isn't gonna catch me by any means, I got into my garage before they knew what the hell happened. Wouldn't that be some **** if I got a second DUI at 11:00 in the morning for swerving in a neighborhood, I should probably be a little smarter(I was coming home from class, sober).
Wow, you sure showed him, smart guy. What a big, tough, clever guy you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston