Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 01:29 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
When you came with your counter-argument, I was hoping that it was news that was recent. Your article was cited in 2002 which was well before the Katy Freeway was completed in 2008, which was also well before the Draft Agreement was made to leave rail out of the Katy Freeway project.

Draft pact omits Metro rail from Katy Freeway plan - Houston Chronicle

Sorry, but i really wish you could've proven me wrong on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 02:48 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
When you came with your counter-argument, I was hoping that it was news that was recent. Your article was cited in 2002 which was well before the Katy Freeway was completed in 2008, which was also well before the Draft Agreement was made to leave rail out of the Katy Freeway project.

Draft pact omits Metro rail from Katy Freeway plan - Houston Chronicle

Sorry, but i really wish you could've proven me wrong on this one.

They didn't legally bar light rail. They simply didn't leave sufficient ROW or do any planning to allow it. It could still happen at some point, but it would be much more expensive than if they had left sufficient ROW.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:27 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
They didn't legally bar light rail. They simply didn't leave sufficient ROW or do any planning to allow it. It could still happen at some point, but it would be much more expensive than if they had left sufficient ROW.
They are not dumb, they know what they are doing
it's like trying to add a basement to a two-story. At the beginning is a piece of cake, after you build the house, you are screwed.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:01 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,561,932 times
As much as i agree commuter rail along the I-10 corridor should of happened, dont they have space reserved along the Westpark Tollroad specifically for rail? Not to mention the 290 rail project. Maybe they didnt figure they needed another rail line on the west side? It sure would be nice though.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:19 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
As much as i agree commuter rail along the I-10 corridor should of happened, dont they have space reserved along the Westpark Tollroad specifically for rail? Not to mention the 290 rail project. Maybe they didnt figure they needed another rail line on the west side? It sure would be nice though.
It's not as if rail takes that much space, why not have 2 rail lines for the west side?

Old 04-30-2013, 11:55 AM

739 posts, read 1,187,307 times
what is it about this city that it won't make accomodations for rail lines?

They're quick to put a toll rd in, but when it comes to light rail or commuter rail, the first thing that comes out is that they have to do a "study".... and that seems to take a lot of money and YEARS before anything happens.

It seems that rail would be cheaper to lay down as opposed to pouring concrete and stacking it up on top of more concrete.....

Old 05-01-2013, 07:12 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,839 times
developers and politicians in the suburbs do not want rail. they kind of control (in a larger way then they should) what gets on to many city of houston ballots and bills.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:48 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
developers and politicians in the suburbs do not want rail. they kind of control (in a larger way then they should) what gets on to many city of houston ballots and bills.

Not completely true. Sugarland residents have been voicing that they would like to be included in the long term commuter rail plans for years.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:19 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,236 times
But, nevertheless, people continue to elect politicians who appear to be philosophically opposed to any form of transportation that does not involve individually controlled vehicles. Even despite such systems requiring hundred of millions -- or even billions -- of tax allocations.

For some strange reason, the huge allocations to rebuilding highways every 10 years or so seems to continue, even though the price tags apparently go up by an order of magnitude each time. It is reasonable to inquire about who gets rich via this system ... which includes the land speculators and tract-home developers, as well as highway construction people. Plus, I presume, a fair number of elected county officials.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:35 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
I've always wondered why GM, Ford, and Daimler never wanted to actually get in the rail business themselves. It's inevitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston