Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 06:51 PM

6 posts, read 9,397 times

Advertisements

... the problem is that the company I am going to work for has several offices in Houston and I could potentially move to any one of them. I'll be starting in Greenspointe, with downtown being the likely spot for me a few years down the road.

I'd really like to keep the commute to 30-40 minutes (in traffic), regardless of which of those 2 offices I am at. Can't spend more than 300k on a house, although something closer to 230 or 250 would be ideal. I have a wife and a daughter getting ready for kingergarten so a good elementary school is important, as is the general safety of the area.

I get the impression my options will be limited because of the duel-commute requirement, but if anyone can help me its y'all! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 06:57 PM

28 posts, read 91,971 times
Kingwood or Spring would probably work. You should also look at Fall Creek and Summerwood if you are interested in newer developments.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:58 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,177,867 times
I would try Kingwood, Fall Creek or Summerwood as the best choices. Summerwood will only get better for the downtown commute in a few years when Hwy 90 and Beltway 8 are finished. Both areas have good schools and are pretty good commutes to both locations.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkv74 View Post
Kingwood or Spring would probably work. You should also look at Fall Creek and Summerwood if you are interested in newer developments.
Isn't Spring an hour+ to downtown?

Old 10-23-2009, 07:28 PM

28 posts, read 91,971 times
I live in Kingwood, so I don't drive south from Spring very often, but if you take the Hardy Toll Road you might make it to downtown in 45 minutes or so. I could be wrong.

Even from Kingwood to downtown, you'll need to be fairly close to the front to make it under 40 minutes. I highly recommend Kingwood though. We moved here two years ago and have really enjoyed it.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:56 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,177,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel4life View Post
Isn't Spring an hour+ to downtown?
Depends on what portion you live in, but it is slightly under 45 min. I wouldn't recommend Spring right now because they are having serious quality/ethical issues with their teaching staff on what appears to be an almost continual basis. The fact that a new scandal is on the news every time you turn around is enough to give a person pause. I have heard rumors of other problems as well.

Your quickest trip to town and Greenspoint of the above listed areas will be Fall Creek. Summerwood should be even quicker to town by 2012 when they finish the new highways (90 and 8) and is about the same commute to Greenspoint that Kingwood and most of Spring will be. Kingwood is more established and Summerwood is newer but close to an established area. Fall Creek still lacks a little in convenient shops IMO.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post

Your quickest trip to town and Greenspoint of the above listed areas will be Fall Creek. Summerwood should be even quicker to town by 2012 when they finish the new highways (90 and 8) and is about the same commute to Greenspoint that Kingwood and most of Spring will be. Kingwood is more established and Summerwood is newer but close to an established area. Fall Creek still lacks a little in convenient shops IMO.

How are the commutes to downtown from Kingwood, Fall Creek, and Summerwood? Last question -- how are home values doing? I know different parts of the country have seen different impacts, but one of my reservations about living in the suburbs was that where I'm from originally (Phoenix) prices in the burbs have crashed much faster than those houses closer to the city.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:53 AM

2,540 posts, read 4,032,936 times
I'm sure the suburbs mentioned have a lot to offer, but personally the commute would suck the life out of me. If you don't want to deal with a long commute, maybe check out areas like Candlelight Estates/Candlelight Woods. I think if you search the forum you'll find some info about those areas; Modster has posted some pretty specific advice about which neighborhoods around there are good and which aren't.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:01 PM

My 2nd option, I guess, would be to rent up north for the first few years when I know I'll be in Greenspoint and to plan on moving closer to town when I get transfered. If you only had to worry about the commute to Greenspoint, and wanted to keep it under 15-20 minutes, where would you suggest looking? My daughter will only be 2 at the time, so if we're just renting for 2-3 years we dont' really need to worry about school districts, just safety/commute/affordability.

Also, any idea on how to find Homes for rent in those areas (I'm not interested in an apartment).

Old 10-24-2009, 12:05 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,840,634 times
I worked near there. Most of my coworkers lived in Kingwood or Spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: