Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2009, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,241 times

Advertisements

I am considering a relocation opportunity to Houston from Oregon. All things considered, would like to be as close as possible (15 min, minimal traffic risk, public transport a plus) to work location in museum district. Second factor is finding excellent high school for my daughter who would otherwise in Sept '10 enter a superb but small (1100 total students in grades 9-12) general public high school (ie, not a magnet, has all sports, fields, arts etc). Daughter is advanced violin player, so good school music a plus, though anticipate would also pursue that outside of school. Third factor is ethnic diversity (both in school and community) or at least openness/interest in such since my wife is asian and from the west coast. Although we are not from wealthy background, our Oregon home has appreciated dramatically (>600K equity, despite downturn) and relo comes with a raise, so we can consider neighborhoods at upper end since we don't want a big home or yard, would prefer a more urban feel near parks/restaurants/entertainment.

Seems Bellaire is only high school with significant asian minority. Am worried it would be too big, wonder how kids find their niche there. Private school admission seems very competitive, and would push our budget (another kid in, ugh, private college). HSPVA is very academically strong, but gaining admission to HISD magnet during relo year may be tricky, and its small and doesn't seem to have a campus at all. Memorial High is smaller, but district seems a bit far, and haven't gotten a feel for feeder neighborhoods.

could anyone help set me straight or broaden my horizons? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 07:34 PM

344 posts, read 1,186,893 times
I didn't realize Bellaire had that large of a student body (3,392).

Since the percentage of Asians in the population is important to you, you might also consider Clements High School in suburban Sugar Land. Smaller school (about 2300) and the demographic mix is (approximately) 53% white, 39% asian, 5% hispanic and 3% black. The city itself has an asian population in the low-mid 30% range.

It's not close to the Museum District though (30-35 minutes in off-peak and up to as much as almost an hour at the height of rush hour), and the homes tend to the larger side. Lots of parks.

http://www.fortbend.k12.tx.us/campuses/chs/about.cfm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_Land,_Texas

Old 10-26-2009, 05:48 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,326 times
I think you're not getting responses because it's a tough request. Within 15 minutes of the museum district, you have a number of neighborhood options, but only a couple of good public high schools (besides Bellaire, I guess), namely HSPVA and Carnegie. Both are magnet (Carnegie is a g & t magnet).

You should maybe consider private schools, then you would have more options for places to live.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:59 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,052,755 times
What about living in the Upper Kirby area zoned to Lamar High School. Great public school and you would still be living about 15 minute(no traffic) to the museum district.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 4,976 times
I agree with Dr Lizardo, Fort Bend is the way to go, we just moved from Pearland and even though it was close to the city, the suburb itself didn't have good schools. My daughter is enrolled in Clements and it is a great high school.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:10 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
Based on the type of urban neighborhood you are desiring - I would guess you might do best to compromise on the "high school size" issue - and do Bellaire, Memorial or Lamar.

Clements is definitely more suburban - and it doesn't sound like that is what you are looking for.

Kingwood Park HS would be another suburban possibility - and it is smaller than many of the other options - around 1600 students I believe - the Asian demographic is pretty small though.

Good luck!

Old 10-30-2009, 09:52 AM

22 posts, read 50,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Love View Post
What about living in the Upper Kirby area zoned to Lamar High School. Great public school and you would still be living about 15 minute(no traffic) to the museum district.
I agree with this, or go with private school. You are fortunate in that you have so much equity and don't want the big house and yard. There are so many choices within a short drive of the museum district (even within walking distance) given your parameters and opting for private school.

You know about Houston Real Estate - Houston Homes, Houston Home Value and Houston Relocation, right? (this changed my link from simply har.com!) There are many townhomes, high rise and low rise condos, and SFR in the museum district, and there's a lot of public transportation around there too. (A huge advantage of urban living, versus the burbs.) I think it's a very demographically diverse area with lots to do nearby.

You are going to have to compromise on something, 'cause as has been said, otherwise it's going to be very difficult to find it all in one location. I wish we had your criteria and equity; I'd move there (near museums) in an instant. Am looking in Houston too, but need some things you don't, and don't have the choices your equity will buy. I wish you well in your search.

Last edited by hynes57; 10-30-2009 at 10:06 AM..

Old 10-30-2009, 03:54 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Also make sure your daughter's orchestra director at school gets her to try out for the Houston Youth Symphony. It is one of the best youth symphonic programs in the country and yes they do go on at least 1 tour stop per year. Practice is generally held at Rice Univ. or was when my sister participated. The tryouts are tough but it is such a good program.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:20 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Something to consider as I watch the Oregon forums, is the political climate in Houston isnt quite as "granola and birkenstock" as Oregon. The jobs in the area are often based with oil, energy, space, shipping, fishing. Lots of high tech jobs along with a lot of "hammer and shovel" jobs in those industries.

With that said, Houston does have good schools and many opportunities for kids (and adults). We have a symphony that has programs for young people as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: