Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which suburban area has the best sense of real community? (people care, are friendly and hospitable
Sugar Land 9 50.00%
Katy 5 27.78%
Friendswood 3 16.67%
The Woodlands 1 5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 05:42 PM

3 posts, read 10,445 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at:
1. Sugar Land
2. The Woodlands
3. Katy
4. Friendswood
5. Cypress??
6. Clear Lake?

And would like (though I know I won't get them all:

1. Exemplary public schools with low student to teacher ratio
2. Best commute to downtown
3. Good zoning, clean, family-oriented, COMMUNITY, hard-working, laid back (not pretentious), high-end shopping/living, recreational opportunities
4. Some kind of nature

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 05:55 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmichelle007 View Post
I'm looking at:
1. Sugar Land
2. The Woodlands
3. Katy
4. Friendswood
5. Cypress??
6. Clear Lake?

3. Good zoning, clean, family-oriented, COMMUNITY, hard-working, laid back (not pretentious), high-end shopping/living, recreational opportunities
4. Some kind of nature

Thanks for your input!
I grew up in Cypress and it meets 3 and 4 on your list but certainly does not meet 1 or 2. Really none of the suburbs meet 1 or 2.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:11 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I grew up in Cypress and it meets 3 and 4 on your list but certainly does not meet 1 or 2. Really none of the suburbs meet 1 or 2.
If your trying to commute to downtown from Cypress; you'd do better walking.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:18 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
The area with the best commute is Kingwood/Humble which you didn't even put on your list.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:21 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
I'm looking at:
1. Sugar Land
2. The Woodlands
3. Katy
4. Friendswood
5. Cypress??
6. Clear Lake?
Quote:

Katy first, an then Cypress.

Quote:
Out of your list, probably Sugar Land.

Quote:
The Woodlands first (though it's pretty pretentious) and then Sugar Land. South Katy in there, too.

Quote:
4. Some kind of nature
Thanks for your input!
The Woodlands and Sugar Land.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:52 AM

1,336 posts, read 6,444,076 times
For big trees, good schools, low crime and beautiful neighborhoods.

My favorites are:

Cypress, The Woodlands, Klein, Champions

Old 11-02-2009, 09:12 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Depends on what side of Cypress though. The Cypress south of 290 is flat, treeless prairie.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:29 PM

118 posts, read 340,083 times
I would say 1) Katy, 2) Sugar Land, 3) The Woodlands, 4) Cypress, 5) Clear Lake, 6) Friendswood.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:33 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
As far as public schools, Clear Creek ISD (Clear Lake/Friendswood/League City) was ranked the #1 overall district in the area this year. As far as students:teachers, I couldn't tell you but it probably isn't too bad.

For commute to downtown, northern Clear Lake (where you can watch the Air Show from your back yard) will probably win here among the list. It is about 20-25 minutes on weekends, 30-35 mins in the morning and 40-50 minutes in the afternoon. There is a park & ride nearby to downtown (Fuqua, 10 mins away) that is very convenient which I would most definitely use if I worked there.

Nature: Bay Area Park, Armand Bayou Nature Center, Walter Hall Park... Seabrook will be the closest saltwater fishing spot, about 20 minutes away. Galveston is about 40 minutes away. Being near the bay, though-- hurricane evacuation zone. But we were fine during Ike aside from branches & leaves spread everywhere.

The only downside according to your list is there is no true zoning, and there a few seedy businesses; a new game room just popped up on El Dorado. But I think because of that some HOA's get pretty nazi-like to the point of stupidity (http://www.ultimateclearlake.com/2009/11/deed-restriction-changes-fail-pineloch - broken link). (Glad I don't live in one of those neighborhoods.) I'd say it's pretty laid back overall but the ''high end living'' areas are pretty pretentious which is not at all unusual.

Can't say there is any high-end shopping here. Galleria access is about 30-35 mins on the weekend, so the west/southwest side suburbs may be more convenient to that. But aside from that there is just about everything you could ever want.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:10 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
I'm looking at:

The strict zoning and real sense of individual community are a few things that put Sugar Land over the top of the others, IMO. It's an incorporated city with its own identity. Houston has no formal zoning. Sugar Land is not a bedroom community as a few of the others are... it has a big corporate presence, and Fort Bend County is always on these lists of places for best job growth. Now, I think the Woodlands is considering becoming incorporated (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so it would rank high on those categories too. Kingwood has a better commute into downtown than the Woodlands however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston