Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 10:15 PM

22,999 posts, read 34,265,766 times

Advertisements

Don't come....you will NEVER get used to the humidty, I don't care what these other people said. I have lived in Texas all my life and a few years ago my husband and I went to North Carolina and fell in love with the mountains. that is where we are going to move ASAP. The millions that live here, their brains are fried from the heat or they would move too. We have about one good week a year, maybe if you're lucky. My advise is stay away unless you LOVE to sweat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2006, 12:20 AM

3,243 posts, read 5,580,208 times
What an interesting answer I Love NC! My dad is from and lives in East Tenn. "in the mountains" and I have sweated my **** off in them thar hills. And I mean oppressive humidity. Why you think they call 'em the Smoky Mountains........cuz the humidity makes 'em "appear smoky"! My brain ain't fried either huny.........I've lived from Alaska to Maine and south in almost a dozen states. This native Texan is back and ain't leaving! Hurry up and y'all move ..... ain't no pot of gold out there in NC (been there plenty too)! Saying this and I own 40 acres in then Thar hills of Tennessee! And all my exe's live here too!

Old 09-02-2006, 12:44 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,783,081 times
I did notice that all those that responded negatively were transient Texans.

Well, there are some of us natives that can't handle it, BobTx. Every time I leave WT to visit Houston, Dallas, Austin, East Texas....it hits me like a sauna in the summer. I still notice it in the winter, but not as bad.

I worked in MS for 6 months, from April on....and I never acclimated.

And...the first thing I notice on my windshield is the black gunk that has to be cleaned off.

Houston has a lot of good points, (including a lot of natural beauty) but the climate is not one of them, LOL!!!

Old 09-02-2006, 01:08 PM

3,243 posts, read 5,580,208 times
Default Well I don't live in Houston and can't post to the "black gunk" found in Houston.

Maybe someone else in the Houston area can enlighten me as to what this is. Other than nearly a million automobiles continually whizzing around the city or the refineries nearby I can't figure the source. I have never noticed it (the black gunk) on my trips to Houston. I live approximately 90 miles northeast of Houston and never have this black gunk on our windshields associated with the humidity. I was just curious LOL.

Old 09-02-2006, 02:57 PM

22,999 posts, read 34,265,766 times
Default Black gunk

It must be the "love bugs" they do leave gunk on your w/s

Old 09-02-2006, 06:05 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,783,081 times
I live approximately 90 miles northeast of Houston and never have this black gunk on our windshields associated with the humidity. I was just curious LOL.

LOL!!! Well, OK....let's say a medium-to-dark gray, perhaps...that you can see when you wipe the windshield with a piece of paper towel...?

Old 09-03-2006, 11:16 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,699,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Maybe someone else in the Houston area can enlighten me as to what this is. Other than nearly a million automobiles continually whizzing around the city or the refineries nearby I can't figure the source. I have never noticed it (the black gunk) on my trips to Houston. I live approximately 90 miles northeast of Houston and never have this black gunk on our windshields associated with the humidity. I was just curious LOL.
It must be the cars and factories. Where I live we get a brown ring around the waterline in our pool after about a month of not scrubbing it.

I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA; There is probably some truth in what you said about humidity. Most people who can take high humidity are pretty much born that way, like myself. I believe that some people can acclimatize to higher humidity if they have a good attitude though.

I can tolerate very high levels of heat and humidity to the point that when we go to Mytle Beach, SC in August, any days under 90 F I can't feel even a little hot and I've been there when it was 98 F, but still the only thing that could have annoyed me was the frying pan hot pavement which was also fine as long as I wasn't barefoot. I was pretty much born tolerant of heat, but since I developed a condition which makes my fingers and toes cold easier, I appreciate weather where my fingers or toes don't hurt or cramp, even if that means I'm covered in a light layer of slimy sweat.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:40 PM

95 posts, read 433,476 times
I was born in houston and spent most of my life here. Never got use to the heat and humidity. I don't remember who said it on this post but they claimed a good breeze. Not so. Not in the city. Doesn't happen often. It is still and hot and heavy.

But cost of living and jobs are great.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:27 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,529,147 times
Default Not a restaurant city, for sure!

For all of those who believe Houston is the foodie capitol of America: where is your head?
Houston is NO food capitol of the world. My son was a chef at the Drake in Chicago--one of the premier hotels in America--so, we do have some basis for our complaining about the food quality in America. Again, my son was a CHEF AT THE DRAKE IN CHICAGO.
$25-30 is NOT being cheap when you are feeding two for lunch anywhere in America either. So, you can cut the sarcastic statements about eating for $5-6.
We have lived in Chicago and DC, lived abroad, and are not so uncouth and uncultured that we expect fine dining for $30; but, we should get more than a selection of Wendy's, Burger King and Mama's Cafe for that.
America's was my favorite Houston restaurant, ate there many, many times, and one restaurant of decent quality does not a restaurant town make.
We have eaten at almost every restaurant that was mentioned. A few must be new as never heard of them, but we ate at a good majority of them.
So glad YOU love Houston, but many, many people hate the city with it's outrageous high crime, heat and humidity and not enough eateries in the mid-range.
We could eat in Chicago for $30 or even $25 for lunch 365 days a week, and never hit the same place twice. Does Houston have anything even close to that? No.
Your pitiful listing of your few restaurants for a city of what? 4 million people? Are you kidding?????
If you think Houston is a restaurant town, you need to visit Chicago or San Francisco.
Some of you on this Houston board need to get out of town more....and be less catty with your $5-6 dollar lunch suggestions.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:59 PM
TGM

100 posts, read 591,648 times
Houston has always had great restaurants, and there has been a hugh surge of new theme and independant restaurants open in the last few years.

A major survey was done by some eating mag/website and Houston was rated #7 in the nation for great restaurants. I'll try and find the link and post it.

I am a native Houston boy, lived her most all my life, and love the Houston area. That said, I would not live inside the city of Houston unless you gave me a house for free. I live in the NW burbs, and stay away from the traffic and crime inside the city limits. Am I down on Houston? Not at all - it's just a fact of the times right now and I think things will get much better in the coming years. City and County government is completely mismanaged and alot of corupt stuff goes on here, but behind the scenes and is white collar stuff that has never had an affect on me personally.

If you live in the city limits, expect for it to take 4-6 hours to get a police officer where you need one for anything other than a life threatening emergency. And I mean "LIFE" threatening. Your car being broken into or stolen it will not make much difference. I do not blame the Houston Police, they are doing an awesome job with the manpower and equipment they are given. It all goes back to the mismanagement and the fact that nobody wants to work for HPD or Harris County right now because of the dangerous shortages of officers (It's already a dangerous job).

I know I sound really negative, but I stil recommed Houston as a great place to live, just not "in the city". Move to Cypress, Tomball, Sugarland, or any of the little cities or areas just outside the city limits. Good people, good police, good food, great cost of living, and everything is at your fingertips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston