Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 07:41 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,995,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
My original post 2 pages ago where I linked to a CHL training course was deleted as being 'off topic'. I won't post it again other than to say if you aren't armed then you're nothing but a victim.
Which brings me to....

Yesterday I was cleaning my motorcycle outside my garage when I heard someone shout 'hiya' I look over to see an obvious 'zombie' making their way over to me. They come over and start by saying

'I don't want no money'

I answer

'good because I'm not giving you any now go forth and muliply' (except I used the vernacular for this last epithet)

The scum was stuffing it's face as it spoke to me and said 'I'm hungry- gimme some food'. It then walked round me into the garage and started making for the door. At this point I shouted 'Stop- you cannot go in there' and drew my weapon. After a short lesson in not entering other people's property the scum left with it's tail between it's legs and an assurance that if it EVER comes anywhere near me or my property again it will be leaving in a bodybag.

Be careful out there people, this dross can even accost you in your own home. Stay safe, don't be a victim.

dude. that area cant be good

Old 11-12-2009, 06:28 AM

912 posts, read 2,556,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
dude. that area cant be good
Like most places in Houston the $2000+ a month places are right next to some of the worst areas. It only takes one straggler from the ghetto to cause an incident like the one I outlined above.

I took a strong line with the trespasser because I feared they may return when my wife is alone and out back doing something. To be honest when they entered my garage I seriously considered shooting them and if they'd made it to the door then I'd probably would have.

As it was I don't think they'll be coming to my house again after the measures I took to deter them

Old 11-12-2009, 10:01 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,196 times
Quote:
I haven't seen any scoffing on this thread.

There but for the grace of God is my attitude.

It varies somewhat from that when an obviously healthy person, stuffing their fat face, stands in front of me wearing $100 sneakers, demands food and tries to walk into my house.

For every "fat" homeless person stuffing his face and wearing $100 shoes, there are tons of legitimate homeless people out there. Many have lost their homes, their jobs, everything, in this downturn. Surviving in this society is very difficult. It always has been -- even the first European settlers needed to be rescued from time to time b/c they could barely make it in this land.

Maybe it is due to their own fault, but it is not our job to judge them but to help our fellow brothers and sisters. It saddens me the attitude people have toward the downtrodden. You could be in their shoes someday. I reiterate my challenge to those who scoff the homeless to a) volunteer at a shelter and not just during Thanksgiving for all the world to see but on a consistent, anonymous basis b) be homeless for a week c) give 10 percent of your income to charity. You will be blessed.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:07 AM

There hasn't been any scoffing and I've already agreed with almost every comment you've made.

I also agree that American society seems to offer very little to those that have fallen by the wayside.

As for giving my income to charity that should be covered by taxes, charitable giving is nothing more than providing mostly well paying jobs to employees of charitable organisations and allowing the government to abrigate it's reponsibilities.

Regarding your challenge I worked for almost a year (unpaid) in an unemployed/homeless charity in Brighton, England cooking food for people who couldn't afford to feed themselves. I know the score.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:15 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
I have found that by acting aggressively and punching every single person I see in the head, I never have to worry about panhandlers in Houston.

I'm just sitting here picturing this and can't stop laughing.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:26 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Quote:
There hasn't been any scoffing and I've already agreed with almost every comment you've made.

I also agree that American society seems to offer very little to those that have fallen by the wayside.

As for giving my income to charity that should be covered by taxes, charitable giving is nothing more than providing mostly well paying jobs to employees of charitable organisations and allowing the government to abrigate it's reponsibilities.

Regarding your challenge I worked for almost a year (unpaid) in an unemployed/homeless charity in Brighton, England cooking food for people who couldn't afford to feed themselves. I know the score.
I disagree, the poor here are treated far better than in other countries I've been too. There would be more homeless if we didnt have so much subsidized housing. One reason you dont see poor in some foreign cities is they are removed and sequestered of sorts in certain areas.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:35 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,460,692 times
I think the homeliness should all be rounded up, taken to closed down military bases, and trained to do something. Anything to earn an Honest living. Life is like one big row boat, and we all have an ore. Either row, or get off the boat. My back gets tired from carrying dead weight.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I disagree, the poor here are treated far better than in other countries I've been too.
For a developed nation that's theoretically the richest on earth I think the standard of help for the homeless is pitiful. That's a different matter than 'the poor' but what is rather telling is that there are people suffering from malnutrition in the USA and I don't just mean some coke snorting catwalk models.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:54 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I disagree, the poor here are treated far better than in other countries I've been too. There would be more homeless if we didnt have so much subsidized housing. One reason you dont see poor in some foreign cities is they are removed and sequestered of sorts in certain areas.

You have not been to Europe, apparently

Old 11-12-2009, 05:15 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,460,692 times
Quote:
Like most places in Houston the $2000+ a month places are right next to some of the worst areas. It only takes one straggler from the ghetto to cause an incident like the one I outlined above.

I took a strong line with the trespasser because I feared they may return when my wife is alone and out back doing something. To be honest when they entered my garage I seriously considered shooting them and if they'd made it to the door then I'd probably would have.

As it was I don't think they'll be coming to my house again after the measures I took to deter them
If they ever need a gun, they know where to find one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston