Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 06:44 PM

443 posts, read 1,345,796 times

Advertisements

It seems like the "Don't mess with Texas" mantra of the 80s-90s has lost its luster. It seems like there is litter EVERywhere...today we were driving back from Hobby airport to the west side and there was trash everywhere on the median/grassy areas of I-45...so much so in some areas that it seemed there was more trash than grass. Even in the "nicest" parts of town near the Galleria and north toward the Woodlands you still see litter everywhere...and that area under 59/Hilcroft where the "day laborers" stand is absolutely disgusting...plastic bags and god knows what else accumulated a foot or so deep in some places along the chain link fence.

Why can't the city/county/state, TxDot or whomever make something happen to lessen the accumulation and duration of trash on the roadsides? Put inmates in local jails on a constant rotation picking up trash EVERY week not just once or twice a year as it seems now.

I know this issue isn't just a Houston problem, you see roadside litter and trash nearly everywhere but I live here now and just have to wonder why local government can't (or won't) do more to control it? Does TxDot only "clean" the roadside when the cut the grass a few times a year? Can volunteer groups really make an impact in a city as big as Houston withOUT a concerted effort by local government?

Heading out to walk the dog now...probably will fill up my HEB plastic bag with trash as I do every night...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 06:59 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,935,739 times
I don't notice it much around Katy, but props to you for doing what you can each night!

Old 11-08-2009, 07:20 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,460,692 times
this is exactly what I have been saying the City should be paying the homeless to pick up. Pay them by the pound. (Just check for rocks and bricks) Convicts might be better. Let them have good time off, for doing a good job over a particular stretch of road. --I hate it when some jerk, pours out his overflowing ashtray at an intersection. I feel like throwin it back in his BMW.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:35 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Don't notice any in my area. Memorial is pretty spotless.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:19 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,460,692 times
Look along the curbs at Shepherd and Memorial. Like one big ash tray. Bikers and Skaters see that trash up close and personal. That is the area of the road we are "supposed" to use. --Oh, and what's the deal with street cleaning trucks, doing thirty down the road?? That does not clean anything. Then what they do hit some trash or nails, they just push them over into the "Bike Lane" Smart that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: