U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 09:48 AM
hsw

2,066 posts, read 4,076,294 times
All comes back to scarce money/time and one's priorities

Don't know of any city/suburban area in world with affordable newer, 2-3K sf housing on ~0.3 ac lots, w/latest amenities, tech and energy efficiency (in a safe, pleasing area of newer SFHs) w/excellent public schools and <30 min drive from major offices

All about relative land costs....Hou's land costs in desirable areas like RiverOaks, Villages, etc are actually far higher than comparable suburban areas of SiliconValley or NYC's CT suburbs

Many erroneously assume housing is cheaper in Hou or Dall than in SV or NYC; rather, the biggest advantage of TX is lack of state income tax and its pro-business/capitalist ethos; if I want cheaper housing (comparing equivalent stuff) I'd live in SV or CT; and public schools in upscale CA or CT suck, as do most in TX

Besides, suspect most of those homeowners in middle-income McMansions not only can't afford their house and its maintenance/utility costs, but they also can't afford to properly raise and college-educate more than 1-2 kids, nor afford ~$100/mo pets, non-staycations, etc...all while saving for retirement and establishing emergency funds in case of unemployment, disability, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 10:02 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,571,259 times
I'm not in a MPC either, so don't take my word for it. All I'm saying is that every time I go to see a friends new house in the burbs, the houses get bigger each time. The last one went to in Cypress was over 5000 sq ft. But that's not typical & was mostly an ego trip for these particular people. They have 2 kids but need 4.5 bathooms?

Old 11-13-2009, 10:10 AM

15,135 posts, read 14,183,025 times
I'm amazed at the size of these new homes...but more space means more money spent on 'filling it up'.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:11 AM

8,801 posts, read 14,392,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
I'm not in a MPC either, so don't take my word for it. All I'm saying is that every time I go to see a friends new house in the burbs, the houses get bigger each time. The last one went to in Cypress was over 5000 sq ft. But that's not typical & was mostly an ego trip for these particular people. They have 2 kids but need 4.5 bathooms?

Two kids can do a lot of damage to 5 toliets...especially if they are boys.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I'm amazed at the size of these new homes...but more space means more money spent on 'filling it up'.
True. But some are so house poor that grandma's old furniture ends up filling up that 4500 sq ft monster.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
True. But some are so house poor that grandma's old furniture ends up filling up that 4500 sq ft monster.

Oh, I'm so having flashbacks of some of the things I have seen.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Two kids can do a lot of damage to 5 toliets...especially if they are boys.

I lock up our extra bathroom for that EXACT reason! Lol!

The people I know in this 5000+ house needed those 25 foot ceilings for their big heads. The live-in keeps the toilets clean. Must stroke that ego, pat pat.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:51 AM

1,286 posts, read 3,178,212 times
The judgement, stereotyping and assumptions flying around on this thread are simply incredible.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:11 PM

No, please don't take it that way sbhubbell.

I think we all know that most of the new homes aren't over 4000 sq ft. Or that most people in big new houses are NOT really house poor. Most can afford to furnish them nicely & don't have to use Granny's old furniture.

The thread was just for fun & not serious. But it's true that new houses do seem to get bigger with time. Maybe we just grow older & friends can afford more now. Lol!

It's OK to poke fun at people who buy big homes when it's purely ego. Most people in 4000 sf ft plus sized houses probably aren't ego feeders, but I happen to know some who are in it ONLY for their egos. And it's not pretty.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:34 PM

Nahhhhh you just have to pick your stereotype on the Westside.

Either your an over extended, near-do-well in a glorified tract home, or a crusty old Old Exec in an old house, with old windows and low ceilings for 3 times the price. One drinks wine with the pinky up, the other not so much.

If neither one represents you..giggle and get on with it, acknowledging first the reason those stereotypes exist just by looking around you.

Either way, most of Houston is doing better than most the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston