Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 07:08 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,585,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
I love how the newbs from Katy (who don't know where Cypress is) try to compare the Katy part of CFISD to South Katy and call it Cypress.

Hint: the area between 529 and Clay is NOT Cypress. Note for the newbs...Cypress is the area stretching down from Hwy 249 that goes past 290 to Longenbaugh (just before you reach 529). Most of Cypress is North of 290.

Coles Crossing > Cinco
Longwood > Cinco
Lakewood Oaks Estates > Cinco
Northlake Forest > Cinco
Blackhorse Ranch > Cinco
Bridgelands > Cinco
Rock Creek > Cinco
Lakewood Glen > Cinco
Stable Gate > Cinco
Tuscany > Cinco
Lakes of Fairhaven > Cinco
Lakes of Rosehill > Cinco
Cypress Creek Lakes = Cinco
Fairfield = Cinco
Cypress Lakes = Cinco
Stonegate = Cinco
etc, etc.
I agree.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:57 AM

243 posts, read 485,770 times
It's just the natural progression of suburbs associated with the "white flight" that has been taking place for as long as there have been suburbs. Cinco Ranch/Fort Bend County is not immuned to this either. Memorial Parkway, Cimmaron, and West Memorial have actually had quite a long run for neighborhoods with relatively small homes and a large selection of new homes being built right in their backyard for years. I don't think it's going to be Alief but it will definitely become lower income as all the apartments around it bring down the socioeconomic demographic of the public schools close to Mason Road--mostly still zoned to Katy HS.

All that said, I think the areas along Fry Rd south of I-10 have potential to stay nice, and see increased property values for a long, long time. Nottingham Country, Green Trails, and Kelliwood are all very large, stately communities that are landlocked by I-10 and George Bush Park--making them immune to large swaths of apartments and shoddy retail that you see along Mason. The proximity to the Energy Corridor, excellent public schools, and relative affordability compared to 77079 further east all make this a very attractive area for families and white collar employees working along I-10.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:10 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,150,779 times
I thought everyone in Katy was a farmer, and everyone in Memorial was a rich snob, but that's just me.

Ronnie

Old 09-13-2012, 09:50 PM

246 posts, read 893,105 times
what communities belong to Memorial Parkway? South of I-10?

Kelliwood??

Old 09-14-2012, 09:15 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,401,783 times
Default Memorial Parkway

No, Memorial Parkway is of itself a Subdivision. It is located between Mason road and Westgreen rd bordered on the north by Cimarron pkwy and the south it has an area that extends about a half a mile south of Highland Knolls situated in between Oak Park Trails and Westgreen park.

This is a very nice Subdivsion of older homes. It is zoned to some of the best schools in Katy ISD. The theme of this thread I would say is "What is going to be the future of this Subdivision?" and others like it. Will this area improve like the 77079 and 77043 area codes or suffer from blight like the Champions area south of the 1960 and the Alief area 77072?

I believe that it will improve like the 77079 Zip Code because it has a lot in common with that area but just a little further down the road. The only difference being that Katy has a lot more land and the older neighborhoods have to compete with the newer ones. Believe me there are more 24hr video stores, liqour stores, massage parlors etc in the 77079 zip code but you still cant get a hopuse there for under $300k??????

Old 09-20-2012, 08:18 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,411,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
I love how the newbs from Katy (who don't know where Cypress is) try to compare the Katy part of CFISD to South Katy and call it Cypress.

Hint: the area between 529 and Clay is NOT Cypress. Note for the newbs...Cypress is the area stretching down from Hwy 249 that goes past 290 to Longenbaugh (just before you reach 529). Most of Cypress is North of 290.
Too bad half of the subdivisions he listed were flooded in the July rainstorm. I passed through Jones and Cypresswood the week before and couldn't believe when I saw that intersection underwater. Those traffic lights were amazingly still working with water halfway up the traffic light poles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
I agree.
He had been trying to puff up Cypress by leaving out that part to make the master-planned communities north of 290 look better.

But we define unincorporated areas mostly by school districts here in the Houston ETJ. Alief is a good example even after the eastern half has been annexed by Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Will this area improve like the 77079 and 77043 area codes or suffer from blight like the Champions area south of the 1960 and the Alief area 77072?
I drove up Dairy Ashford north of Westheimer last weekend and was surprised at the changes between the last year to 18 months since I was last there. It is definitely now a low-rent district at Briar Forest and didn't improve until crossing Buffalo Bayou. It might cross the bayou and infect Memorial Drive now that Eldridge in the Energy Corridor is the hot spot of the moment.

Surprisingly 77072 along Bellaire Blvd is trendy among young Asian families. My cousins left Houston and thanks to the relatively better Texas economy, brought back with them Asian men from out West and their children to the neighborhood where those sisters grew up. Sharpstown single-family is being gentrified, even if it is along Bellaire Blvd. There are a few teardowns, new driveways, and renovations in those houses I saw along Bellaire Blvd.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:04 PM

71 posts, read 139,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post

I drove up Dairy Ashford north of Westheimer last weekend and was surprised at the changes between the last year to 18 months since I was last there. It is definitely now a low-rent district at Briar Forest and didn't improve until crossing Buffalo Bayou. It might cross the bayou and infect Memorial Drive now that Eldridge in the Energy Corridor is the hot spot of the moment.
Respectfully, responding to an old thread and a comment that's not really about the OP,
I've lived off of Dairy Ashford for 3 years... yes, the retail is not wonderful, but as far as i can tell, there's been no major change in the past 12-18 months. A couple shopping centers in bad shape, but actually very few apartments on DA proper. And guess what? Despite the 77079 hype, things don't get much prettier north of the bayou. It is what it is... old strip malls on the main road, pleasant neighborhoods beyond.

As for Eldridge, i think it has peaked...not much more to build there. A new Eclipse apartment went up this year, and unless they demolish the old Eurway Furniture near Westheimer, there's not much land left. The Energy Corridor will continue to be a strong sector of real estate as long as the Energy Industry is riding high...and that filters into West Houston and Katy... if you want to live close to work, you either suck it up and pay for SBISD, slum it in HISD, etc, or move to Katy.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:28 PM

5 posts, read 17,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtrancendance View Post

...I recently moved to Memorial Parkway and all I can say is WOW. This beats anything in the Cypress area in terms of value and, actually, also feels more wholesome to me than the highly acclaimed Cinco Ranch master-planned community.

And there aren't any huge Wal-Marts or semi-exploitative retailers which often hire the sorts of semi-criminal people who (along with bully-ish schools like Morton Ranch and Cypress Springs) bring down neighborhood and cause housing prices to plummet (as I've seen happen with two neighborhoods I was looking at before, Lakeville and Sundown...both in the Cypress area).
This thread is disturbing on so many levels. How exactly does a neighborhood "feel more wholesome"? And who exactly are these "semi-criminal people" who bring down home prices?

Old 09-21-2012, 10:40 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,411,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troddler View Post
This thread is disturbing on so many levels. How exactly does a neighborhood "feel more wholesome"? And who exactly are these "semi-criminal people" who bring down home prices?
Told ya that Memorial Parkway (Harris County side of South Katy) houses the white trash that (elitist) Romney despises but needs the blue-collar, lower-middle class white vote as the base of the Republican party. Too bad that their party's mission is to keep them there economically or make them poorer.

If America was a third-world country, these people would be serfs/tenant farmers.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:08 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,790,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
I agree.
I dunno about the rest but I can tell you from personal experience that Fairfield<Cinco.
Might not have been that way in 2009 when originally posted but it is now.
In Fairfield, the same model house from the same builder will have cheaper materials/upgrades than Cinco.
You can get more space for your money in Fairfield but you have to look at the details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston